Speculation: Trade deadline - March 2 - 3:00

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I only see us making some combination of these three moves:

2nd/prospect for rental 2/3 winger (Jagr, Tlusty, Semin, Stafford, Doan, etc.)
1st+roster player+ for Eric Staal
4th or so for a depth defenseman.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Eeewww, that ship sailed

He has 25 points in 36 games this year on a terrible Carolina team. He'd be our best center by far. Plus he's a big, physical guy who can match up against Getzlaf/Toews/Kopitar, which we could really use. Staal-Ribiero-Fisher-Gaustad would be a great center group.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
From NHL on Sirus yesterday afternoon they discussed that Poile is floating Smith and Wilson for upgrades they touched on Jones but does not seem Poile is willing at this time to move a defenseman. Pointed out forwards weakness defensively compaired to previous years an even played a quote from Lavi indicating the need to shore this area up. Starting to be really taken seriously about lining up for a deep run.

Would suck to give up Wilson after he's starting to put it together after so long

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Would suck to give up Wilson after he's starting to put it together after so long

It would. But, it's also a contract year, and this has been only the second stretch of his career that he's really shown the ability to live up to his potential. His value may never be higher, considering he'll still only be a RFA.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Is Kessel worth 2 top 6 forwards? IF you trade for Kessel who is the forward you move up if Wilson & Smith are gone?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Is Kessel worth 2 top 6 forwards? IF you trade for Kessel who is the forward you move up if Wilson & Smith are gone?
It won't be two top 6 roster forwards. At most, it would be one + a top prospect forward (e.g. Fiala, Aberg, Kamenev). I just don't see Poile making such a drastic change to what's been a successful roster, but upgrading on one of Wilson or Smith is far more plausible.

The closest comparables I can think of would be Richards and Carter.

Richards netted a young tweener grinder/power forward type in Simmonds (who became a legit top 6 guy) and a 1/2 center prospect in Schenn.

Carter got a young top 6 forward in Voracek (who became a top line guy), a 1st round pick and a 3rd. The second time, he got a potential top pairing d-man and a 1st.

Now Kessel theoretically holds more value in terms of offensive ability, but that contract is an albatross compared to the Richards and Carter contracts (~5.75 and 5.25 respectively). Toronto's in a spot where, if they want to move Kessel, very few contenders have the cap space to absorb $8M per season without sending significant salary back as part of the package, and few also-rans will feel they're in a competitive position to justify trading the assets for him.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I don't see us shaking things up and moving a top 6 forward when we're #1 in the league...

Any trade we make will likely be giving away futures to improve our depth.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
depending on the severity of Ellis' injury and his actual length of recovery time, GMDP may be shopping for a defenseman that can eat some minutes both at even strength and on special teams. Not that those guys are hanging fruit, but Poile is no dummy. He's got a special group in the room and he's not making changes just to make changes. He does have a glut of forwards, however... someone may just want to grab an Arcobello, a Bourque, or even a Stalberg down the line.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm not sure why Wilson would be floated, with the way he has played lately he's not the one that needs upgrading, Ollie, Nystrom, etc. are the ones that need to be upgraded.

Smith I could see, as while I like him, he is streaky as hell, but at least he isn't a lazy type of streaky ( like its reported by media, fans, and former coaches that Kessel can be).

I'm sure Poile is doing a ton of talking, and tbh he is in a much better position than some other teams because he has the cap space to work with, while others would need to get pretty creative to get a guy like Kessel.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
As proven as Kessel is I'd hold on to Fiala. That's just me.

crazy. Our window is the next two years, three at the most, and then Rinne and Weber start getting old. Fiala isn't even guaranteed to play for nashville next year, no matter how excited everyone was about him.

Id hold Fiala for almost anyone, but Kessel, who is signed long term, is going to be a better player than Fiala for at least the next three years if not more. The fact that we already have Forsberg, Neal, Smith and Wilson makes Fiala a bit more expendable.

NoFncyName

Nov 30, 2014
Im not convinced that the Leafs can or will move Kessel. Moving Wilson would not be a good move when in the same segment they discuss the shortage of forwards that are effective defensively. Like others have pointed out Smith's inconsistency and inability to play on the PK could make him expendable. Question is what kind of upgrade could be had for Smith even a rental. Other than the Klein bonehead move Poile typically gets the better end of a trade. One thing is for sure the are going to need o be a slightly different team come playoff time or these one goal games of late cold turn around.

If Neal an ever get healthy and the top two lines get back on track the scoring will be fine a veteran defender ad a two way forward may be added to the run. All could change with a few more injuries but its a fun year so far.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
crazy. Our window is the next two years, three at the most, and then Rinne and Weber start getting old. Fiala isn't even guaranteed to play for nashville next year, no matter how excited everyone was about him.

Id hold Fiala for almost anyone, but Kessel, who is signed long term, is going to be a better player than Fiala for at least the next three years if not more. The fact that we already have Forsberg, Neal, Smith and Wilson makes Fiala a bit more expendable.

So a few months ago our window for really being a threat was 2 years from now. Now our window is the next two years before Weber and Rinne get too old? Which is it? I'm confused at this to be honest because you have adamantly stated this team isn't ready to be a contender for a few years and now here you are stating our window is the next two years.

To be honest, with the chips in the pipeline and the experience the d is gaining every day we play, our window should be a lot longer than 2 years or in 2 years from now. We have a lot of good young talent. We have a goalie that is great shape and with the way guys train these days, Rinne has plenty of years left at this level as does Weber. The best part is, if Weber starts to slow down for whatever reason, you have this kid named Jones that will be entering his prime and Josi and Ekholm will also be as well as Ellis.

While adding Kessel would be sweet, we don't need a one dimensional player like that. Our scoring doesn't seem to be an issue right now, even with some of the bigger guns either being out or not scoring right now. Also, after watching a little bit of Fiala at the prospects camp, trust me, you don't want to move him. The kid is dynamic, plays with an edge and can do things you don't see every day and while Kessel has the more proven track record right now, we'd regret moving him in the long run, much like we'd regret moving Jones unless we got a number 1 center in return. Best way I can describe Fiala at this point is the speed of Kariya with the edge of Foppa and a skill set somewhere in between the two. If he's learned anything from being in camp this year and watching what Forsberg has done, he should come to camp with a huge chip on his shoulder and hopefully he does. My bet is he starts the year in Milwaukee and will be called up within the first 20 games or so.

If we want Kessel, we move Smith way before Fiala. That's just my opinion.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So a few months ago our window for really being a threat was 2 years from now. Now our window is the next two years before Weber and Rinne get too old? Which is it? I'm confused at this to be honest because you have adamantly stated this team isn't ready to be a contender for a few years and now here you are stating our window is the next two years.

To be honest, with the chips in the pipeline and the experience the d is gaining every day we play, our window should be a lot longer than 2 years or in 2 years from now. We have a lot of good young talent. We have a goalie that is great shape and with the way guys train these days, Rinne has plenty of years left at this level as does Weber. The best part is, if Weber starts to slow down for whatever reason, you have this kid named Jones that will be entering his prime and Josi and Ekholm will also be as well as Ellis.

While adding Kessel would be sweet, we don't need a one dimensional player like that. Our scoring doesn't seem to be an issue right now, even with some of the bigger guns either being out or not scoring right now. Also, after watching a little bit of Fiala at the prospects camp, trust me, you don't want to move him. The kid is dynamic, plays with an edge and can do things you don't see every day and while Kessel has the more proven track record right now, we'd regret moving him in the long run, much like we'd regret moving Jones unless we got a number 1 center in return. Best way I can describe Fiala at this point is the speed of Kariya with the edge of Foppa and a skill set somewhere in between the two. If he's learned anything from being in camp this year and watching what Forsberg has done, he should come to camp with a huge chip on his shoulder and hopefully he does. My bet is he starts the year in Milwaukee and will be called up within the first 20 games or so.

If we want Kessel, we move Smith way before Fiala. That's just my opinion.

wow, really glenn? you can't see how the last few months might have changed my perception that our window is now plus the next couple of years rather than two years (1 and a half counting this year) down the road???
I don't even know how to address that other than to say res ipsa loquitur

and we've seen plenty of kids who look great in development camp and don't always pan out. but even if he does, if trading for Kessel wins us a Cup sometime in the next three years I'll take that deal 100% of the time

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

Weber will still be fine after three years. Pekka might be slowing down but honestly he seems pretty athletic and in good health. I could see him being a very good goalie past 35.

Your point still stands though I'd trade Fiala for Kessel easy. That being said everything about Kessel scares me. He produces but he is moody and isn't really a winner. I was really down on Seguin too though when he got traded and I was wrong about that.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
I really don't want kessel. but I'm afraid Poile sees him as one of the "ones that got away."

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
wow, really glenn? you can't see how the last few months might have changed my perception that our window is now plus the next couple of years rather than two years (1 and a half counting this year) down the road???
I don't even know how to address that other than to say res ipsa loquitur

and we've seen plenty of kids who look great in development camp and don't always pan out. but even if he does, if trading for Kessel wins us a Cup sometime in the next three years I'll take that deal 100% of the time

This is a new revelation then. You had been touting our window isn't now and we won't be ready for a few years. I'm glad you finally got on board with the rest of us though. :)

I don't think Kessel is going to be the piece that pushes us over the edge to winning a Cup. A number 1 center with size is what's lacking, not another sniper.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Som Krazy Moves

To Nash: Kessel
To Tor: Ellis, 2015 1st, Craig Smith

To Nash: RNH
To Edm: Seth Jones

To Nyr: Arcobello, 3rd
To Nash: Kevin Klein

Forsberg-Ribeiro-Kessel
Wilson-Fisher-Neal
Jarnkrok-RNH-Beck
Stalberg-Gaustad-Jokinen

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
I can't believe anyone is saying they don't want Kessel. He would easily be the best offensive player on the Preds. I think he is criminally underrated, he's every bit as good as Patrick Kane. Sure, he sometimes gets a bit lazy on D, but so do Kane, Ovechkin, Seguin and tons of other top scoring forwards. Look what he does each season with Tyler Bozak as his center, I'd love to have him, just depends on the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad