Speculation: Trade deadline - March 2 - 3:00

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
DP could just be backing a player he knows from team USA as well. I honestly see no reason for DP to make a huge trade like this would have to be. It would take a top notch roster player++ to get him and that just seems stupid when your team is number one in the NHL right now. Who knows though, stranger things have happend I guess.

I don't think so. It would take Picks/prospects though. No roster player needed when we're going to miss the playoffs anyway.

And Seth Jones

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
DP could just be backing a player he knows from team USA as well. I honestly see no reason for DP to make a huge trade like this would have to be. It would take a top notch roster player++ to get him and that just seems stupid when your team is number one in the NHL right now. Who knows though, stranger things have happend I guess.

He didn't publicly back kane after the cabbie incident. So I think it is different.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Joe, if Jones is involved, I would guess the only +'s added would be a defenseman from Toronto and a forward from us to even out the depth.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Youre right, Kane mugging a taxicab and Kessel being called uncoachable is different.

I'll won't even address your choice of the word mugging since clearly you were the cab driver and could testify to that but the point was you have to player from team USA with off ice issues. Kane - cab incident, drinking. Kessel - work ethic, weight, attitude.

So for poile to publicly back Kessel right now when there's trade talk about blowing up the leafs core is relevant to him being traded and not just David poile backing a team usa guy.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Joe, if Jones is involved, I would guess the only +'s added would be a defenseman from Toronto and a forward from us to even out the depth.

Would Smith be available or is he currently considered too important? Always wanted that guy since his draft year, though preferably at C.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
i think Poile wants to make a move for Kessel. And now that we are much improved, I doubt Kessel wouldn't waive to come here.

That would be icing on the cake but I don't want to see Fiala or Aberg moved. I have not a clue what the offer would be. But defending Kessel? Sounds like Poile wants Kessel in his corner if he is trying to grab him.

What a win that would be for us.

I'm not keen on moving Phil but if it happened, would love to see it be Nashville and see them win. I've never seen a person get so unfairly ripped as Phil. Add to that, Nashville is one of the few teams I really want to see win. I have mad respect for that organization and what it has done with so little over the years.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Would Smith be available or is he currently considered too important? Always wanted that guy since his draft year, though preferably at C.

I'd say in the grand scheme of things, Smith is absolutely available. But in a scenario where someone like Jones goes too (I think Poile has no interest in trading him), ehhhhhh I'm not so sure.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I think we are playing too well for Poile to make any big trade during this season.

If TO is just looking to get rid of Kessel and would take Smith +picks/prospects then that would work as we wouldn't downgrade our roster, but if we had to send Smith plus a roster defenseman thats not gonna happen, esp with Ryan Ellis out for a bit.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
He didn't publicly back kane after the cabbie incident. So I think it is different.

Where did Poile back Kessel? In an interview on a Toronto radio station? Is it possible that no one from chicago called Poile to ask for his opinion about Kane and that this also wasn't during the season nor was it during a time of much turmoil with an organization in the middle of the hockey universe?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
One thing is for sure, looking at David Poile's history, he may indeed trade for Kessel, but Jones won't be included in the package. The only way Jones is involved in trade talks is if that player is named Crosby or Malkin, or if suddenly they believe Jones isn't going to become the player they thought he was.

I can almost bet Poile is looking at this defense core and is saying its set, he's not touching it short of maybe the 6th man. If he's making a move it will involve forwards, prospects and draft picks.

Frankly, I think the team needs a guy more like Vermette than we do Kessel, but everyone always wants the big name.

wentz22

Nov 21, 2013
I wonder if we could pull off the package and bring kessels buddy bozak with him too. But then things would get crazy because we'd be bringing in 12M in cap give or take.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Getting Kessel would put the Predators in the Stratosphere of cup favorite. Yes try and get him but not at the expense of Jones (yes he's worth keeping that much). 2015 First, Fiala, basically the same package I had in the Hall trade thread. Poile has made some fantastic trades recently ( Forsberg) and some boneheaded ones (Klein) this could be both if he trades Jones. With the Leafs wanting to dump Kessel this could work out perfectly.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Getting Kessel would put the Predators in the Stratosphere of cup favorite. Yes try and get him but not at the expense of Jones (yes he's worth keeping that much). 2015 First, Fiala, basically the same package I had in the Hall trade thread. Poile has made some fantastic trades recently ( Forsberg) and some boneheaded ones (Klein) this could be both if he trades Jones. With the Leafs wanting to dump Kessel this could work out perfectly.

Fiala, first in '15 & Stalberg ($ reasons)

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Not saying one is more likely than the other to actually happen (Fiala), but would you guys be more willing to part with Jones or Fiala?

He may have been exaggerating the truth a little bit but even after we drafted Jones at 4 Poile said we would've picked him even if we had the first pick, and like someone mentioned earlier, he was trying to trade with Florida to get him at 2 because the whole universe figured that's who they were taking. There's no way Jones has suddenly become expendable in a realistic trade package. It's not like he's sucked so far or anything. He's 20 years old and is being eased into NHL duty on the 3rd pairing because that's how insanely deep we are on D. Plus with this Ellis injury one would think he's going to be playing more meaningful minutes and this will be good for him I think.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
one of the truly difficult things is truly evaluating a young d-man.. it takes much longer to develop and therefore you never really know what they might or might not grow into. that's what makes it a crap shoot. they might develop into the player people think they can be... or they might not. so you're either a hero or a zero making that call when they're young.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.

NoFncyName

Nov 30, 2014
From NHL on Sirus yesterday afternoon they discussed that Poile is floating Smith and Wilson for upgrades they touched on Jones but does not seem Poile is willing at this time to move a defenseman. Pointed out forwards weakness defensively compaired to previous years an even played a quote from Lavi indicating the need to shore this area up. Starting to be really taken seriously about lining up for a deep run.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
From NHL on Sirus yesterday afternoon they discussed that Poile is floating Smith and Wilson for upgrades they touched on Jones but does not seem Poile is willing at this time to move a defenseman. Pointed out forwards weakness defensively compaired to previous years an even played a quote from Lavi indicating the need to shore this area up. Starting to be really taken seriously about lining up for a deep run.

I'd move Smith, not Wilson. Wilson is the type of big body you need for a deep playoff run. The kid is turning into a beast out there and it seems like whatever line he goes to it does well. That's what we expected a few years ago from him and he's finally delivering. Smith goes invisible for long stretches and while snipers tend to do that, with Neal out, he needs to step it up and he hasn't. I'm a big Smith supporter but consistency is what lacks in his game at this point. He also needs to hit the net more when shooting.

If he wants to shore up the defensive issues get rid of Nystrom and Gaustad who seem to be the crux of the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad