Speculation: Trade deadline - March 2 - 3:00

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
First, what if Neal isn't happy here. 2nd, Neal is not good defensively and Kessel is better offensively. Both have baggage.

I would love to have Kessel too, but what makes you think that Toronto A. Would take Neal and a 3rd line C prospect who doesn't even play C for their best player and B. Where in the world did you pull that about Neal being unhappy out from???

Toronto needs defensemen....they're not giving Kessel away for more wingers.

As somewhat proven by yesterday (even though NSH won) our D is just barely deep enough already! AV and Bartley got barely more than 10 min of ice time. How do you think our top 2 pairs will be able to hold out for a cup run playing those kind of minutes? Not to mention that AV has already shown to be injury prone as it is.

If we don't have 3 good pairs, Weber and Josi would be toast by June.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
First, I said what if, not he has.

2nd, Neal and Kessel are pretty close talents but Neal's contract is far more favorable. If Toronto gets rid of Kessel they'll need a tip line winger. So Watson and Neal's contract are to make up for the difference in talent.

Also, IMHO, Kessel is better than Neal

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I would love to have Kessel too, but what makes you think that Toronto A. Would take Neal and a 3rd line C prospect who doesn't even play C for their best player and B. Where in the world did you pull that about Neal being unhappy out from???

Toronto needs defensemen....they're not giving Kessel away for more wingers.

As somewhat proven by yesterday (even though NSH won) our D is just barely deep enough already! AV and Bartley got barely more than 10 min of ice time. How do you think our top 2 pairs will be able to hold out for a cup run playing those kind of minutes? Not to mention that AV has already shown to be injury prone as it is.

If we don't have 3 good pairs, Weber and Josi would be toast by June.

Why? Doughty averaged nearly 29 minutes per game during LA's cup run. Weber and Josi are perfectly capable of eating 25+ minutes during the playoffs. In fact, we'll need them to. They are the backbone of this team.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
First, I said what if, not he has.

2nd, Neal and Kessel are pretty close talents but Neal's contract is far more favorable. If Toronto gets rid of Kessel they'll need a tip line winger. So Watson and Neal's contract are to make up for the difference in talent.

Also, IMHO, Kessel is better than Neal

But what if Weber wasn't happy? Or Josi? Or God forbid Pekka? We could play that game all day...

Agreed on everything else, but what makes you think Toronto would even consider that when it helps them in no way AT ALL. Even the salary difference doesn't help them when their problem is not Kessel and he is far and away their best player.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Why? Doughty averaged nearly 29 minutes per game during LA's cup run. Weber and Josi are perfectly capable of eating 25+ minutes during the playoffs. In fact, we'll need them to. They are the backbone of this team.

Yeah but 30 minutes a game from now until the playoffs and then maybe more in the playoffs? We do need them to actually be productive come playoff time to have any chance to win. We lose one of our D now not named Bartley or Volchenkov via trade and IMO, we are hosed come playoff time. We have no one in Milwaukee prepared to step up...NO ONE.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Yeah but 30 minutes a game from now until the playoffs and then maybe more in the playoffs? We do need them to actually be productive come playoff time to have any chance to win. We lose one of our D now not named Bartley or Volchenkov via trade and IMO, we are hosed come playoff time. We have no one in Milwaukee prepared to step up...NO ONE.

Trading for a bottom pairing dman isn't possible? If Volchenkov and Bartley can't be trusted with 15 minutes a night, then they need to be replaced regardless.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
The thing is, we don't need to trade Fiala for Kessel. Move Smith + this years 1st + Kamenev or another prospect.

Toronto is in shambles. They may just do something big to shake it up. Poile loves Kessel. Be real surprised if he hasn't been in talks already.

But I'm not moving Fiala or Jones for Kessel. No need to. I'd rather trade this year and next year's 1st than those 2 guys.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The thing is, we don't need to trade Fiala for Kessel. Move Smith + this years 1st + Kamenev or another prospect.

Toronto is in shambles. They may just do something big to shake it up. Poile loves Kessel. Be real surprised if he hasn't been in talks already.

But I'm not moving Fiala or Jones for Kessel. No need to. I'd rather trade this year and next year's 1st than those 2 guys.

Totally agree. Thank you.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Guess I'm missing something this season. I thought we were in 1st place, and had more points than any other NHL team, yet I read all this concern over who else do we need. Granted if we are still in excellent shape near the end of the season we will probably be buyers to fill perceived needs, but I would imagine that it would be smart to keep an eye on our current assets for the next 20 games or so and then start looking at who/what we need. I for one am enjoying the moment.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Trading for a bottom pairing dman isn't possible? If Volchenkov and Bartley can't be trusted with 15 minutes a night, then they need to be replaced regardless.

But why trade at all? If our 7 Dmen are healthy, why does anyone want to break up a good thing? I just don't understand so many people wanting to trade future/current cornerstones of this team when it's all going so well? Kessel is a complimentary piece, a damned good one, but still a complimentary piece. Unless it's a true #1C coming back, why trade? Is it just the sexy thing? Big name like Kessel suddenly makes us more of a contender when we are already 1st in the league? We are 1st in the league because of all the good pieces we have and need to keep IMO. Sure, there could be some tweaking on the bottom half, but blowing it up to get Kessel just seems stupid to me.

Poile may completely shock me, but no way in hades do I see him doing this.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Guess I'm missing something this season. I thought we were in 1st place, and had more points than any other NHL team, yet I read all this concern over who else do we need. Granted if we are still in excellent shape near the end of the season we will probably be buyers to fill perceived needs, but I would imagine that it would be smart to keep an eye on our current assets for the next 20 games or so and then start looking at who/what we need. I for one am enjoying the moment.

Its not necessarily talk to change things up, but to get better and load up. This is an incredibly strong conference and if we can move Smith (who is my favorite player) and a 1st + B Prospect for Phil Kessel I would do it. We still keep Jones + Fiala who are the future along with Forsberg and are that makes us a borderline #1 center away from the stanley cup

Edit: Ribiero is a great player but I'm talking in the next 5 years

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I think Smith is the most realistic expendable guy for value right now. Wilson has been playing great hockey and we have no reason to trade Jones or Fiala. We need to keep our D in tact at all costs.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
But why trade at all? If our 7 Dmen are healthy, why does anyone want to break up a good thing? I just don't understand so many people wanting to trade future/current cornerstones of this team when it's all going so well? Kessel is a complimentary piece, a damned good one, but still a complimentary piece. Unless it's a true #1C coming back, why trade? Is it just the sexy thing? Big name like Kessel suddenly makes us more of a contender when we are already 1st in the league? We are 1st in the league because of all the good pieces we have and need to keep IMO. Sure, there could be some tweaking on the bottom half, but blowing it up to get Kessel just seems stupid to me.

Poile may completely shock me, but no way in hades do I see him doing this.

I never said we had to trade, but if someone like Kessel becomes available, you have to jump on it. I'd bet on Toronto waiting until the offseason if they decide to move him anyway. When you have a chance to add a player like Kessel, it doesn't matter what place you're in. You do it if you could use him. I'm thinking more long term with a move like this.

I agree, a long term center is a concern, but a long term elite winger is important as well.

I'll just say I disagree with your assessment on Kessel. He creates offense on his own.

Also, I like how trading a bottom pairing dman is "blowing it up."

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
I never said we had to trade, but if someone like Kessel becomes available, you have to jump on it. I'd bet on Toronto waiting until the offseason if they decide to move him anyway. When you have a chance to add a player like Kessel, it doesn't matter what place you're in. You do it if you could use him. I'm thinking more long term with a move like this.

I agree, a long term center is a concern, but a long term elite winger is important as well.

I'll just say I disagree with your assessment on Kessel. He creates offense on his own.

Also, I like how trading a bottom pairing dman is "blowing it up."

If you are trading Jones during the season for Kessel then that is blowing it up. This offseason? I'm all for it...I'm all for it twice as a matter of fact.

Smith, a prospect and a couple 1st's? Let's go! Any of our top 5 D....hell no, not during the season.

Like I said, I don't see this as even a glimmer in Poile's one good eye if it involves any of our D (which is what Toronto would want for Kessel). As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that Poile sleeps with a picture of our defense under his pillow and kisses them goodnight...he loves them that much.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
If you are trading Jones during the season for Kessel then that is blowing it up. This offseason? I'm all for it...I'm all for it twice as a matter of fact.

Smith, a prospect and a couple 1st's? Let's go! Any of our top 5 D....hell no, not during the season.

Like I said, I don't see this as even a glimmer in Poile's one good eye if it involves any of our D (which is what Toronto would want for Kessel). As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that Poile sleeps with a picture of our defense under his pillow and kisses them goodnight...he loves them that much.

He did trade Klein.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
We would have to move a contract right? Or could we send Arcobello down if we got a trade done with prospects and draft picks for a vet?

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
just for clarification, I'd rather not trade Fiala and if we could get Kessel with other pieces(but not Jones) I would much rather do that

How do you figure the Preds could acquire a top 10 offensive forward in the league without giving up Jones or Fiala? You're willing to trade Forsberg or Josi? I'd much rather not trade any great pieces as well, but that stuff isn't going to get you Phil Kessel.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
He did trade Klein.

And got a needed LHD in return. Not the same thing at all. And we all know now that Poile was already setting up a group of young-puck moving Defensmen that would fit Lavy's soon to be implemented system. It just didn't work out the way he thought it would with MDZ.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
How do you figure the Preds could acquire a top 10 offensive forward in the league without giving up Jones or Fiala? You're willing to trade Forsberg or Josi? I'd much rather not trade any great pieces as well, but that stuff isn't going to get you Phil Kessel.

follow the convo I was responding to, which suggested we could possibly get him for picks. Im not saying its likely, i was just following up on an earlier discussion.

And it depends on whether the Leafs are gonna clean house and Kessel is thought to be problem. His trade value all go down some if it becomes known that the Leafs are determined to jettison him

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006

:laugh: That image of Poile in my head :laugh:

Let me clarify, I what think should happen and what I think Poile will do are two different things. I agree Poile will probably stand pat unless it's a low risk rental or a grinder of some type. I'm giving my own 2 cents, not a prediction.

I guess we just have different definitions of blowing it up. Agree to disagree. I think we'd be fine without Jones for this year (assuming Ellis is ok). It will hurt in a couple years when he starts to break out. But right now? He's replaceable. Funny that you would trade Smith, who is more important right now than Jones IMO.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser

Smith, and established 20 goal scorer and a first plus a F prospect (Watson/Sissons/Aberg) gets it done.Toronto has a ton of young D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad