Speculation: Trade deadline - March 2 - 3:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
People saying "we're number 1" etc. Do you honestly think this team cannot be improved upon?! I don't think we're built to win the Cup this season (I hope I am wrong) but we could certainly go on a deep run. Over-reliance on Rinne and a lack of elite forwards are the weaknesses of this team and it's stupid not to attempt to somewhat address these issues. I think next season we see Hellberg as the back-up and Saros up in Milwaukee.

I don't think that we win the cup this year, but I think that the window is open for a few years. Pekka and Weber are in the prime and the core is young and improving. You don't need to trade a major piece of the future to go for broke.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
People saying "we're number 1" etc. Do you honestly think this team cannot be improved upon?! I don't think we're built to win the Cup this season (I hope I am wrong) but we could certainly go on a deep run. Over-reliance on Rinne and a lack of elite forwards are the weaknesses of this team and it's stupid not to attempt to somewhat address these issues. I think next season we see Hellberg as the back-up and Saros up in Milwaukee.

Depends on who is available and what the cost is. An elite forward is not necessarily going to change this team into a cup winner, and giving away too much to get an elite forward that gets injured or goes cold could be a death knell.

I don't see any over-reliance on Rinne. EVERY team that has an elite goalie plays him as much as they can and they win a lot of 1-goal games because of his play.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

I think a lot of people are reluctant to mess with chemistry after how poorly 2012 worked out. Which may have really been the fault of, ya know, Trotz.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Depends on who is available and what the cost is. An elite forward is not necessarily going to change this team into a cup winner, and giving away too much to get an elite forward that gets injured or goes cold could be a death knell.

I don't see any over-reliance on Rinne. EVERY team that has an elite goalie plays him as much as they can and they win a lot of 1-goal games because of his play.

There is an over-reliance on Rinne because our back-up is near enough a guaranteed loss at this point.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Am I the only one who thinks we ought to try standing pat at the deadline this time? I mean, how well has it worked in the past when we have loaded up for a playoff run by acquiring rentals (Foppa, Whitt, Radulov, A Koistitsyn, Markov) in exchange for prospects and draft picks? It's like Poile turns into TommyBoy thinking that he is close to a sale and kills it like he did with the dinner rolls.

maxresdefault.jpg

It makes me wonder if we lose some chemistry in the room by doing this, and might we be better off dancing with who got us here and hanging on to our assets and picks.

Causation =/= correlation. We didn't do anything at the deadline a couple of times and we fell flat there, too.

I still maintain that we lost that Phoenix series more because of Trotz than AK46\Radulov. Tippett flat-out outcoached him.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
I could see GMDP doing a long a move for Kessel at some point. He talked up about his work ethic recently. He's also the reason that PL took the job in nashville. So yeah I think it's a possibility but I'm not sure on what it would take.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
That interview recently hurt any chances of us going after Kessel?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/phil-kessel-reporter-idiot-randy-carlyle-firing

Not really. If anything it could lower his value for us... He answered his question twice on the audio before he got fed up. Also GMDP has history with him with team usa. I believe the GMDP quotes were from a recent interview as well.

He won't be a leader on this team. Like Kane is chicago isn't. Just perform and let weber put him in his place.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Probably not.
Can't imagine the pressure put on players in TOR.

It really is stupid. I mean it's TMZ level reporting at times. Unfortunately it sells.

Just for context sake, that same reporter has called the parents of a player before to ask about injury history. He's a bit of a jerk to put it lightly.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
It really is stupid. I mean it's TMZ level reporting at times. Unfortunately it sells.

Just for context sake, that same reporter has called the parents of a player before to ask about injury history. He's a bit of a jerk to put it lightly.
Wow, that is above and beyond.....

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013

Appreciate you saying that. The reporting feeds the unfortunate forum members we have, and it gets silly at times. A lot of people want Kessel run out of town which is unfortunate but the media is herding the forum like a bunch of sheep.

Kessel + Bernier FOR Seth Jones, Hutton, 1st, Fiala

I think a makes a ton of sense for both sides. It makes you guys an instant cup contender for multiple years, and it doesnt have you acquiring rentals. Also, Poile loves Kessel, of whom he would certainly waive his clause for.

A) It gets Kessel out of the spotlight
B) You get an elite forward (a guy who is emotional at times, which is certainly a positive, but the media gets to him) playing in a pressure free market
C) Kessel has played something crazy like 400 games straight without an injury, and we've seen injuries take a toll on you guys in the past
D) It gives me another team to cheer for because now that I live in the USA keeping up with the Leafs is damn near impossible
E) 7.5 years left, youll have his abilities for long enough that you can recover futures in what you may lose in Jones/Fiala
F)Lightens the load on your allstar goaltender while you can still win games

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Appreciate you saying that. The reporting feeds the unfortunate forum members we have, and it gets silly at times. A lot of people want Kessel run out of town which is unfortunate but the media is herding the forum like a bunch of sheep.

I think a makes a ton of sense for both sides. It makes you guys an instant cup contender for multiple years, and it doesnt have you acquiring rentals. Also, Poile loves Kessel, of whom he would certainly waive his clause for.

B) You get an elite forward (a guy who is emotional at times, which is certainly a positive, but the media gets to him) playing in a pressure free market
C) Kessel has played something crazy like 400 games straight without an injury, and we've seen injuries take a toll on you guys in the past
D) It gives me another team to cheer for because now that I live in the USA keeping up with the Leafs is damn near impossible
E) 7.5 years left, youll have his abilities for long enough that you can recover futures in what you may lose in Jones/Fiala

Bernier?!?! You joking right?

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land

Not entirely on topic, but if you wanna keep up with the leafs, just pay for a Sirius premium subscription that gets the NHL channel. They won't stop talking about the Leafs. It's like they don't understand they are on satellite.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
Not entirely on topic, but if you wanna keep up with the leafs, just pay for a Sirius premium subscription that gets the NHL channel. They won't stop talking about the Leafs. It's like they don't understand they are on satellite.

No way! I like having a team in the US (and in the western conference) to cheer for.

I'm in my young 20s so naturally Ive been drawn to Nashville since their inception thanks to the logo. Always been a fan.

Preds101

Jul 5, 2013
Milwaukee, WI

I wouldn't do that at the moment. Maybe take out Fiala and then I would. But then I still would hesitate. Why mess with status quo when it is working? If we start to lose closer to the trade deadline address the issues then, if we keep winning why trade pieces? We still have a couple year window for the Cup with Weber and Rinne being in their prime, having Fiala up next year will help out even more. Sign Ribs and Fisher to an extension and I think we are good? Also Ellis went out of tonights game after getting hit with a puck, so having the depth for D is nice.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
There is an over-reliance on Rinne because our back-up is near enough a guaranteed loss at this point.

holy crap talk about nonsense.

We are relying on Rinne because he is the best goalie in the league right now, and when someone says we are "over-reliant" on him that doesn't mean we are playing him too much it means we are not scoring enough or playing defense well enough and counting on Rinne to bail us out.

I will say it again with emphasis..

Carter Hutton is not hurting this team or its playoff chances one bit. Zilch. Nada. Squat.

We would not be playing Rinne less with a different backup....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad