Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Ya I saw that, looks like he is trending towards being a 20/40 guy but until he actually does it (for at least 1 season) i wouldn't say he is nailed on to put up that production. Though likely he would have last year if not for covid so I get it is just semantic

Don't get me wrong, I like the player and think he would be a good add.

Imo don't let milestones distract you, especially since we haven't had a full season in a long time.

20/40 is just shorthand for ppg.

If you prefer .25gpg/.50ppg that's fine.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That's a really odd trade deadline deal... what does this do for Florida other than getting rid of Connolly's contract? Not exactly a playoff push move for them & Chicago takes a bad contract to get Borgstrom (23) + Stillman (23) but also lose Carlsson (23) in the process... did this really have to happen now rather than the offseason, it's not like Florida is cap crunched right now... especially once Ekblad is placed on LTIR

It opens up cap space for the other trades that they'll be doing. Probably both a D and a F will be added still.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This is a weird trade. Florida giving up Borgstrom is questionable.

Not really. He was a fringe guy with potential. Stillman was the more valuable prospect. Although in general they didn't give up anything of immense value in that trade. Carlsson and Stillman have similar upside but Stillman is a year younger.

I feel like this is not a great use of Chicago's cap space, so they must value those prospects highly or think Connolly will be able to turn things around. Big body who would have had two 20+ goal seasons the past two years so they may think Connolly can be something.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Scratch all your goalies off your list, this isnt happening. Campbell and Hutch have proven to be adequate depth in the case Anderson cannot come back. But until now there is no indication that Anderson will not come back, so no point to waste assets on this position.

I like everyone on your forward list but Getzlaf. He is repetitive and not needed at C. We have enough C.
If it costs like a 3rd rd. pick for some goalie insurance I'd take one. Both Campbell and Andersen have been banged up a lot of the season. I'd rather not see Andersen again this year the way he's played.

Ideally, Campbell is the #1 and there is some insurance behind him. He's not used to being a starter and if he goes, so does the season. It makes sense to spend a secondary asset for some insurance this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clark4Ever

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
That's a really odd trade deadline deal... what does this do for Florida other than getting rid of Connolly's contract? Not exactly a playoff push move for them & Chicago takes a bad contract to get Borgstrom (23) + Stillman (23) but also lose Carlsson (23) in the process... did this really have to happen now rather than the offseason, it's not like Florida is cap crunched right now... especially once Ekblad is placed on LTIR

Unloading Connolly for future seasons is a big plus for Florida. Borgstrom has struggled to transition to the NHL and they still got a decent piece back in Carlsson. I like it for Florida. Stillman is alright, but to unload that nasty Connolly contract for the future is good business.

Reactions: TMLAM34

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
It opens up cap space for the other trades that they'll be doing. Probably both a D and a F will be added still.
Really don't think it was even necessary, they now have $4,115,910 cap space = $15,401,469 at this point of the season PLUS they can play Ekblad's 7.5m on LTIR once they're tight to the cap, that's potentially $22,901,469 to add without even waiving anyone...

I think Florida is going after Hall & Savard, and shit they could add more if they really wanted to, throw Getzlaf in there as well.

Maybe it's more to do with cash then cap though??? NHL Team Values 2020: Hockey’s First Decline In Two Decades

Edit: now that I think about it this is all about cash and nothing to do with cap, they had loads of that already.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Really don't think it was even necessary, they now have $4,115,910 cap space = $15,401,469 at this point of the season PLUS they can play Ekblad's 7.5m on LTIR once they're tight to the cap, that's potentially $22,901,469 to add without even waiving anyone...

I think Florida is going after Hall & Savard, and shit they could add more if they really wanted to, throw Getzlaf in there as well.

Maybe it's more to do with cash then cap though??? NHL Team Values 2020: Hockey’s First Decline In Two Decades

Edit: now that I think about it this is all about cash and nothing to do with cap, they had loads of that already.

Cash is the bigger issue for them. 7+ mill still owed to a guy who wasn't even playing in their top 12, although Connolly still has upside left so it did not cost them much to dump him.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Adding both Oleksiak & Laughton/Iafallo would take a lot of financial gymnastics, how would people feel about Laughton/Iafallo (@50%) + Del Zotto (@50%) as some d depth?

Reactions: The Podium

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place

I sure as hell hope not. And subject to change... like removing Sandin and Roberston from the deal.

Ullmark and Hall look to be coming here unless Florida's cap dump trade was an aggressive move to get Hall.

Florida likely to move to Savard/Ekholm.

In the next 48 hours, Leafs are likely making a deal.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Imo don't let milestones distract you, especially since we haven't had a full season in a long time.

20/40 is just shorthand for ppg.

If you prefer .25gpg/.50ppg that's fine.
I dont think the majority of people use paces when saying things like 'he is a 20/40 guy' especially if they have never hit it in their career. I understand what your saying though and agree he looks like he will put up those numbers sometime in the next few years

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Ullmark and Hall look to be coming here unless Florida's cap dump trade was an aggressive move to get Hall.

Florida likely to move to Savard/Ekholm.

In the next 48 hours, Leafs are likely making a deal.
Ullmark and Hall in a package is the deal that makes the most sense. I could see the Palmieri/Zajac deal laying the ground work for what a potential deal might look like - 2021 1st + some B-level prospects/mid-round picks with Andersen used as salary going back an option.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Clearly fake...

Ullmark and Hall (both retained) could probably be had for something like a 2021 1st round pick, a 2023 3rd round pick, a B prospect and Freddy Anderson, in order for the money to work. I wouldn't pay any more than that.

For example...

To Toronto
Taylor Hall (50% retained)
Linus Ullmark (50% retained)

To Buffalo
2021 1st round pick
2022 3rd round pick
Joey Anderson or Filip Hallander
Freddy Anderson

Given that Hall is a pure rental and there is no guarantee that Ullmark could be resigned, that's probably to maximum I'd be willing to pay.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

I sure as hell hope not. And subject to change... like removing Sandin and Roberston from the deal.

This better be fake news. That's a ridiculous overpayment. We don't even need Buffalo to take Andersen's contract, we could just LTIR him.

If that's Buffalo's asking price, Kyle should hang up the phone.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
This better be fake news. That's a ridiculous overpayment. We don't even need Buffalo to take Andersen's contract, we could just LTIR.

Not a chance in hell Kyle would pay that. If he did, he should be thrown out a high window... Or worse, traded to Buffalo as part of the package.

I can't believe I just suggested that a person be subjected to the latter of those two things.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
This better be fake news. That's a ridiculous overpayment. We don't even need Buffalo to take Andersen's contract, we could just LTIR him.

Judging by this guys tweets, he's a Sabre's fan.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Horrible deal for the Leafs. For 2 rentals we are giving up Sandin, Robertson and another prospect?

If Dubas makes that deal he should be fired immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad