Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The best part about Laughton is that there is an avenue to re-sign him next year when the Leafs move on from Kerfoot and Anderson. With that 8.5 million off the books, priority #1 is extending Hyman. Priority #2 is addressing the need for a 1B goaltender and that leaves you with money to extend Laughton if he's looking to be in the 3.5-3.75 range on his next contract.

Very true indeed. But we are back to square one next season needing a top 6 winger as Laughton would only replace Kerfoot as our 3rd line C. Unless of course you continue to play him on the wing and make Engvall your center.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Wait so people think it would take 3.5 million to re-sign Hyman yet Laughton in the 3.5-3.75 million range?

I really like Laughton and hope we can actually get him but with the current financial status of the league and the flat cap, there’s no way Laughton makes more than 3 million, 2.75 x 2 years is my guess he gets. Hyman will get 4 for sure.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'm liking Laughton more and more. Despite getting literally zero PP ice time, he's still a 20/40 guy, which is legit very good even strength offense. And he does this in a very defensive role with heavy dzone starts. Where he breaks even analytically and is a net positive on the scoresheet. And he does this while playing lots of center. He also brings nice physicality. He's prime aged and very affordable.
Aren't his underlying numbers not the greatest though? He definitely isn't a 20/40 guy yet having never done so but paced for it last year.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm starting to think we should just leave our top 6 alone. They've been dynamite, and as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We should target a physical forward that won't cost significant assets to bolster the bottom six and leave it at that. In addition, anther solid backup goaltender and a physical depth defenceman would be great.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Very true indeed. But we are back to square one next season needing a top 6 winger as Laughton would only replace Kerfoot as our 3rd line C. Unless of course you continue to play him on the wing and make Engvall your center.

You also would hope that you can insert Robertson into your top 6 next year.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Wait so people think it would take 3.5 million to re-sign Hyman yet Laughton in the 3.5-3.75 million range?

I really like Laughton and hope we can actually get him but with the current financial status of the league and the flat cap, there’s no way Laughton makes more than 3 million, 2.75 x 2 years is my guess he gets. Hyman will get 4 for sure.

No, I think it will take 4.5-4.75 to re-sign Hyman and 3.5-3.75 (likely on the lower end) to re-sign Laughton.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Interesting to speculate about Taylor Hall. He has 19 points in 37 games for Buffalo. It's impossible to say for sure, but I wonder how many points he'd have right now if he played 37 games with Matthews and Marner?

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I'm not a big fan and he's signed going into next season.
Depending on the $ and acquisition cost, he might be a fine depth guy.
The extra term (just one year?) might enable a Dermott trade at some point since there’d be another exposable D.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I dont think I want hall. Our top 6 is good. You would be wasting assets for a couple of months then he is gone. Focus on goalie (if andersen is hurt badly), depth grinding forward or depth d man.

I would be happy with doing nothing honestly

Reactions: hockeywiz542

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I dont think I want hall. Our top 6 is good. You would be wasting assets for a couple of months then he is gone. Focus on goalie (if andersen is hurt badly), depth grinding forward or depth d man.

I would be happy with doing nothing honestly

I'd puke if we did nothing, while the other contenders load up. Don't think the team is good enough currently. Major holes in the bottom 6 right now and Dermott could be upgraded as well, as could the goaltending depth.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Aren't his underlying numbers not the greatest though? He definitely isn't a 20/40 guy yet having never done so but paced for it last year.

Welll he's at 20gls/44pts in 84gms the last two seasons. All at even strength.

His underlying numbers are just ok - but that's while getting heavy dzone starts.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Upgrade Engvall at 3C.
Character player in the top6.

People keep saying a guy like Foligno doesn't upgrade on Hyman, duh.. but getting someone who clicks with them makes playing Hyman on a wicked 3rd line that much more appealing

Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Laughton/Glendenning-Mikhayev
Simmonds-Spezza-Engvall

Is a damn complete forward group. Hyman can shift up to top6 when needed and be relied on more for tough mins

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Upgrade Engvall at 3C.
Character player in the top6.

People keep saying a guy like Foligno doesn't upgrade on Hyman, duh.. but getting someone who clicks with them makes playing Hyman on a wicked 3rd line that much more appealing

Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Laughton/Glendenning-Mikhayev
Simmonds-Spezza-Engvall

Is a damn complete forward group. Hyman can shift up to top6 when needed and be relied on more for tough mins

Where is Thornton in all of this? Not sure the Leafs would do that to him. If anything Engvall is dropped from your prospective lineup in favor of Thornton

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
One thing is for certain, the Leafs will not want to leave one of Reilly, Brodie, Muzzin and Holl unprotected in the upcoming expansion draft. For this to happen they would need to only acquire a forward that is a rental or it puts them in a difficult situation come this off season. This is why a player like Rakell isnt going to happen. Look for pure rentals on the forward side that allows them to protect 4 forwards and 4 D.

Also provides the ability to resign players like Hyman and Laughton\Hall (for example) next off season with no need to protect.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Where is Thornton in all of this? Not sure the Leafs would do that to him. If anything Engvall is dropped from your prospective lineup in favor of Thornton
It's tough.
I think we should and hopefully will expect a IN / OUT lineup Thornton. Spezza has quite literally made 4C his spot and Thornton has struggled no question. Love the guy, but with additions...he should be on the outside

I really hoped he find a niche with a guy like Robertson... but I have a hard time now.
There is just too many options.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
The more I read and look into Laughton, he's (for me anyway) the ideal target.

Good skater, strong defensively, and likes to take the body. The offensive upside is there as well. Fits the age group as well (26).

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Forwards
1. Hall
2. Getzlaf
3. Laughton
4. Foligno
5. Iafallo

Goalies
1. Ullmark
2. Driedger
3. Bernier

Scratch all your goalies off your list, this isnt happening. Campbell and Hutch have proven to be adequate depth in the case Anderson cannot come back. But until now there is no indication that Anderson will not come back, so no point to waste assets on this position.

I like everyone on your forward list but Getzlaf. He is repetitive and not needed at C. We have enough C.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Welll he's at 20gls/44pts in 84gms the last two seasons. All at even strength.

His underlying numbers are just ok - but that's while getting heavy dzone starts.
Ya I saw that, looks like he is trending towards being a 20/40 guy but until he actually does it (for at least 1 season) i wouldn't say he is nailed on to put up that production. Though likely he would have last year if not for covid so I get it is just semantic

Don't get me wrong, I like the player and think he would be a good add.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Wonder if we can add Connor Murphy to shore up the defense? Add him and a rental forward.

Protect 4 defenders in the summer and let Vegas take 1 of kerfoot, dermott, holl, engvall

Our defense would be scary good if we could add a guy to push dermott/bongo to the 7th spot

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Scratch all your goalies off your list, this isnt happening. Campbell and Hutch have proven to be adequate depth in the case Anderson cannot come back. But until now there is no indication that Anderson will not come back, so no point to waste assets on this position.

I like everyone on your forward list but Getzlaf. He is repetitive and not needed at C. We have enough C.

Disagree. If you can get Ullmark, I think it's something that makes sense, for now, and going forward, with plans to resign him, after the expansion draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad