Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Please not Foligno. He's 33. His skating has started to drop off (was never great to start with) and he's expensive as hell. IMO, he's a slightly more useful Simmonds at this point, who can take some faceoffs.... He's a third liner on this team, with a ridiculous cap hit for a bottom 6 player.

You can add Alex Iafallo and Scott Laughton for virtually the same cap hit as Nick Foligno and make yourself better at two positions.

Unless you're getting Foligno double retained, to keep the neccessary space for a 2nd roster upgrade, easy pass for me.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
You acquire Foligno and put him on the top line? That won't last very long. I'm not sure why he's seen as an option to play there at all. If you acquire him, it'll be to play lower line minutes. He wouldn't replace Hyman as the LW on that line.
You can easily flip Hyman and Foligno in that lineup.

L1- Hyman - Matthews - Marner
L2- Foligno - Laughton - Mikheyev

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Imagine if we got Rakell. I think I would crap. Everywhere.

Rakell would be great. Rakell at 50% and Foligno double retained would be awesome. Expensive, but awesome.

Rakell-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Foligno-Engvall-Hyman
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Spezza
Simmonds
Jumbo

That's a playoff group to be reckoned with.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The Leafs need 1 top 6 winger and thats it. They dont need anymore C or D it would be a waste of assets. If there is a way they can trade for a winger like Rakell that would be the best option as he would be a main stay for next seasons lineup as well. But this would require Anahiem retaining 50% of his salary which in turn will mean our 1st going the other way. That is best case scenario.

2nd best scenario is to trade with LA (our common trade partner at deadline) similar to what Uncle Lou did last night. Try to acquire 2 proven vets both retained that are pure rentals. A deal I would be looking at is as follows:

Iafallo (50% retained)
Maatta (50% retained)

for

1st Round pick 2021
Dermott
Brooks
Conditional 4th round pick 2022 (turns into 3rd rounder if Leafs make Stanley Cup Finals)

Iafallo-Matthews-Marner
Gally-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Micheyev
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds
Engvall (spare C and W)

Reilly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Maatta-Bogosian
Sandin, Rosen, Lilly (Spare)

Andersen
Campbell

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I'm convinced Dubas knows this is the best window we have ever had, I'm also convinced of him being a out of left field GM, i think he pulls a surprise.

As for the names i do not believe in Foligno, Hall if its not an overpayment i could see being one of those additions that lights a fire under his butt and he lights it up for us.

But i think we get something we haven't even thought of personally.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm liking Laughton more and more. Despite getting literally zero PP ice time, he's still a 20/40 guy, which is legit very good even strength offense. And he does this in a very defensive role with heavy dzone starts. Where he breaks even analytically and is a net positive on the scoresheet. And he does this while playing lots of center. He also brings nice physicality. He's prime aged and very affordable.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I'm convinced Dubas knows this is the best window we have ever had, I'm also convinced of him being a out of left field GM, i think he pulls a surprise.

As for the names i do not believe in Foligno, Hall if its not an overpayment i could see being one of those additions that lights a fire under his butt and he lights it up for us.

But i think we get something we haven't even thought of personally.

I hope you right. If Nylander is out long term, dont be surprised to see a trade as early as tomorrow or weekend instead of waiting on Monday.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I'm liking Laughton more and more. Despite getting literally zero PP ice time, he's still a 20/40 guy, which is legit very good even strength offense. And he does this in a very defensive role with heavy dzone starts. Where he breaks even analytically and is a net positive on the scoresheet. And he does this while playing lots of center. He also brings nice physicality. He's prime aged and very affordable.

I would love Laughton, as long as he can play the wing next to Matthews.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
He'd be nice with mikky and Engvall too.

Would rather put Hyman there. He picks up the lines play where ever he plays and playing 3 effective lines in the playoffs would be awesome. A checking line of Hyman-Kerfoot-Micheyev would do this team wonders. They would be able to shut down anyone and hold their own. Size, Speed, truculence and hockey IQ.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Really don't like the fact that Galchenyuk has to pass through waivers again
Don't think there's a chance he will, he's staying put.

Don't really want Foligno. Laughton and something else would be good.
I'd love to see Laughton/Iafallo + Oleksiak.

When people see Hall in a Bruins jersey, then they'll realize what we potentially missed out on.

Hope Dubas can get it done.
Even if retained twice, Hall can only happen if money goes out; I highly doubt they're going to shakeup the locker room at this point in the season.

Reactions: stickty111

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Yeah he definitely fits what the "insiders" say Dubas wants. A very good fit for the middle lines with good production and he can actually skate. His cap hit fits without retention as well.

The Leafs could probably try to grab Gustafsson really cheap with retention as a #7 defenseman too.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013

The best part about Laughton is that there is an avenue to re-sign him next year when the Leafs move on from Kerfoot and Anderson. With that 8.5 million off the books, priority #1 is extending Hyman. Priority #2 is addressing the need for a 1B goaltender and that leaves you with money to extend Laughton if he's looking to be in the 3.5-3.75 range on his next contract.

Reactions: ToneDog

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah he definitely fits what the "insiders" say Dubas wants. A very good fit for the middle lines with good production and he can actually skate. His cap hit fits without retention as well.

The Leafs could probably try to grab Gustafsson really cheap with retention as a #7 defenseman too.

Braun might fit as that extra dman. Especially with retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad