Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline: Aug 31 (no, not that one. The other one. The waiver one)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
In his last 16 appearances, Cecil has thrown 11.2 innings with 16 K, 4 BB, and a 2.31 ERA.

Obviously it would be great to see them make another move to improve the pen, but when it comes to Cecil, I would bet on the track record over 15 innings of early-season struggles.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
In his six games since coming back from injury, Bautista's wRC+ is 125. Not great, but good. He has more strikeouts than normal, but that should probably be expected after missing so much time with injuries recently.

For his part, Devon Travis, who most people would replace Bautista with in the leadoff spot, has a wRC+ of 6 in that time.

Bautista has been fine, and he will likely be better than fine going forward.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
2nd half stats

Sanchez 6gs, 6.3ip/gs, 72era-, 65fip-, 90xfip-, 6.1awar/32
JA Happ 8gs, 6.2ip/gs, 68era-, 89fip-, 80xfip-, 4.8awar/32
Stroman 8gs, 6.4ip/gs, 91era-, 73fip-, 56xfip-, 4.0awar/32
Estrada 7gs, 5.7ip/gs, 105era-, 115fip-, 115xfip-, 1.4awar/32
Lirano 4gs, 5.7ip/gs, 93era-, 103fip-, 100xfip-, 1.2awar/32
Dickey 8gs, 5.5ip/gs, 135era-, 127fip-, 126xfip-, -0.4awar/32

Biagini 22.0ip, 29era-, 49fip-, 74xfip-, 2.2awar/65
Grilli 19.0ip, 33era-, 72fip, 76xfip-, 2.2awar/65
Benoit 16.0ip, 42era-, 80fip-, 98xfip-, 2.2awar/65
Osuna 17.1ip, 48era-, 86fip-, 94xfip-, 2.1awar/65
Cecil 13.2ip, 108era-, 100fip-, 60xfip-, 0.0awar/65
Feldman 20.2ip, 154era-, 91fip-, 83xfip-, -0.3awar/65

Tepera 4.2ip, 0era-, 73fip-, 91xfip-, 1.4awar/65
Barnes 4.0ip, 105era-, 49fip-, 90xfip-, 0.8awar/65
Loup 4.1ip, 194era-, 78fip-, 107xfip-, -0.8awar/65
Schultz 5.1ip, 158era-, 196fip-, 105xfip-, -1.8awar/65

Martin 139pa, 157wrc+
Donaldson 173pa, 146wrc+
Encarnacion 181pa, 144wrc+
Travis 152pa, 123wrc+
Tulowitzki 146pa, 116wrc+
Bautista 98pa, 99wrc+
Saunders 135pa, 85wrc+
Pillar 104pa, 68wrc+
Upton 132pa, 47wrc+

Smoak 75pa, 92wrc+
Barney 86pa, 63wrc+
Navarro 103pa, 48wrc+
Carrera 60pa, -34wrc+

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Dude named Dave called into the Blair Show this morning. Bless his heart, he said the following:

"I think they're (the Blue Jays) depleted from last year, I've got a lot of concerns":
- "I don't remember his name, but the LF from last year (Revere)..he's an asset."
Blair: he's not as good as Melvin Upton
- (Scoff) "Yeah...Melvin Upton's been an absolute pylon. The guy's completely unpredictable, he's not done that much"
Blair: hitting .300 in his last ten games with 11 or 12 RBI's
- "What was he doing before that..."
- "Bautista's not on fire yet...he's injury prone..."
- "I uhhhhh...I think there's a lot of issues with the Jays. Estrada is suffering; Sanchez, I mean, they're playing mind games with Sanchez - don't know why they ever sent him down. I mean, you could blow your arm at any given time."
Blair: He wasn't pitching down there??
- "Anything can happen. Anything could happen at any given time!"

I love you, hockey fan who watches baseball sometimes.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Dude named Dave called into the Blair Show this morning. Bless his heart, he said the following:

"I think they're (the Blue Jays) depleted from last year, I've got a lot of concerns":
- "I don't remember his name, but the LF from last year (Revere)..he's an asset."
- (Scoff) "Yeah...Melvin Upton's been an absolute pylon. The guy's completely unpredictable, he's not done that much"
- "I uhhhhh...I think there's a lot of issues with the Jays. Estrada is suffering; Sanchez, I mean, they're playing mind games with Sanchez - don't know why they ever sent him down. I mean, you could blow your arm at any given time."

Regardless of how any of us feels about limiting Sanchez, I like to think we can all (or... mostly) agree that "He might get hurt eventually anyway so who cares!" is the absolute dumbest argument against it.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
We should have that other outfielder, i forget his name .

Revere has an OPS of .565. Extremely bad for outfielders.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Regardless of how any of us feels about limiting Sanchez, I like to think we can all (or... mostly) agree that "He might get hurt eventually anyway so who cares!" is the absolute dumbest argument against it.

Oh man. This was actually worse.

I went back and listened again, and the guy referenced Michael Saunders injury from last year. As in; while in Dunedin AARON SANCHEZ COULD'VE HAVE GOTTEN HURT JUST EXISTING (i.e. jogging, lifting, etc.). I'm not even kidding.

Hilarity.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
- "Sanchez, I mean, they're playing mind games with Sanchez - don't know why they ever sent him down. I mean, you could blow your arm at any given time."

haha I caught that part!

so its Blair now? Jeff Sammit or whatever is gone again? (god i hate him)

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I have never understood why the call screener doesn't get more blame in situations like this. Maybe they're desperate for callers and will put anybody on but still the screener must be dumber than the callers.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Oh man. This was actually worse.

I went back and listened again, and the guy referenced Michael Saunders injury from last year. As in; while in Dunedin AARON SANCHEZ COULD'VE HAVE GOTTEN HURT JUST EXISTING (i.e. jogging, lifting, etc.). I'm not even kidding.

Hilarity.

Yikes.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I have never understood why the call screener doesn't get more blame in situations like this. Maybe they're desperate for callers and will put anybody on but still the screener must be dumber than the callers.

Are you kidding? The hockey fan who knows juuuuuuust enough to be able to make an ass of themselves on the radio is absolute gold. They live for those guys to call in.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Upton isn't as good as Revere was last year. In his last 10gms he's hitting .231 with a 90wrc+. In his last 5 that's .200 and 50wrc+.

Bautista hasn't been bautista.

Estrada has shown some worrying signs.

Let's see if Sanchez is better or worse off after all the rest. This was one of the best pitchers in baseball we shut down, without any clear evidence that there will be any benefit to doing so.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Upton isn't as good as Revere was last year. In his last 10gms he's hitting .231 with a 90wrc+. In his last 5 that's .200 and 50wrc

In his last 15, it's .268 and 115. Meh.

Revere was worth 0.3 fWAR in 246 PA's with the Jays. Upton has been replacement level in 111. Meh.

Plus, Revere was the starting LF last year. Upton is the fourth OF and has played so much because of the Pillar/Bautista injuries.

Bautista hasn't been bautista.

True!

Estrada has shown some worrying signs.

He had his first two really bad starts of the season and followed it up with another great start. Again... meh.

Let's see if Sanchez is better or worse off after all the rest. This was one of the best pitchers in baseball we shut down, without any clear evidence that there will be any benefit to doing so.

Without any clear evidence that was made public by the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad