Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline: Aug 31 (no, not that one. The other one. The waiver one)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
According to MLB Trade rumours the Orioles have acquired leftie reliever Kyle Lobstein from the Pirates.

Pittsburgh had DFAed Lobstein and will receive Zach Phillips in return.

I've always liked Phillips, I still think he could be a valuable reliever if given an extended opportunity in the major leagues. Let's see what Pittsburgh does with him.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So you're conveniently removing the two multi hit games in NY, including the 3 run homerun he hit to extend the lead in the final game?

I'm not conveniently removing anything. Discoverer is.

Upton has a 55wrc+ since the trade. 87 on the year. 83 projected rest of season.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
In his last 45pa, Upton has an 81wrc+.

And Upton with an 81 wRC+ is just as valuable as Revere with a 102 wRC+.

Upton has underperformed offensively in his brief time with the Jays. The emphasis, however, should be on the word "brief".

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Bradley with a homerun off the top of the monster. 6-4 Red Sox.

Can't rely on other teams to win you the division!

A win tonight puts the O's 4 games back again. A loss gets them back into the mix at 2 games.

Pretty critical game. Hopefully Sanchez has a good start - we need em

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
And Upton with an 81 wRC+ is just as valuable as Revere with a 102 wRC+.

Upton has underperformed offensively in his brief time with the Jays. The emphasis, however, should be on the word "brief".

Revere was worth 0.3f/0.6bwar here. Upton's at 0.0/-0.1.

I mean, I didn't even like Revere. But Upton has been worse.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Upton has a 55wrc+ since the trade. 87 on the year. 83 projected rest of season.

Yes, you're removing productive at bats from him, just as Discoverer is removing the non productive at bats (but with a caveat as he did the same for Revere as well).

Point here remains is that Upton has been replacement level, but Revere was a replacement level player with the Jays as well. His 102 wRC+ is all fine and dandy until you realize that a 0.3 fWAR over 246 PAs is not. Even his elite baserunning couldn't get him out of the gutter.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I wasn't "conveniently removing" anything. My post showed the stats for every single game both players played with the Jays. I was reminding you that Revere sucked when he first got to Toronto, too.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yes, you're removing productive at bats from him, just as Discoverer is removing the non productive at bats (but with a caveat as he did the same for Revere as well).

And, as a further reminder, the post zeke was referring to didn't remove any at bats from either of them.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I wasn't "conveniently removing" anything. My post showed the stats for every single game both players played with the Jays. I was reminding you that Revere sucked when he first got to Toronto, too.

you're the one misleadingly removing segments of at bats, not me.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Anything less than 2 WAR over 1/3 of a season for a 4th OF is nothing short of a major disappointment. :sarcasm:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
you're the one misleadingly removing segments of at bats, not me.

Please let me know which at bats have been removed in the post below:

In his first 50 plate appearances with the Jays, Upton had a -19 wRC+. Since then, it's been 115.

In his first 50 plate appearances with the Jays, Revere had a 31 wRC+. After that, it was 118.

It's almost like players have to adjust to new situations when they're traded and sometimes take time to settle in and we shouldn't spend every waking moment obsessing about a player's production over a really short period of time.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Revere provides almost all of his value in positional adjustment (as a CF) and in his baserunning. He was a respectable bat against righties last year but his splits are poor against both hands over his career. At least with Upton you can utilize him in a platoon role (albeit on the worst side), as a pinch runner and a late game defensive replacement.

Revere's value over twice the sample is negligible over what Upton has brought so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad