Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline: Aug 31 (no, not that one. The other one. The waiver one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Circle_Of_Trust.jpg

Cecil this year

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I've never even heard of him

Its actually very interesting. Big, tall lefty who's been drafted four different times (Pirates '09, Rockies '11, Arizona '12, and the Jays '13). He had a couple surgeries here and there, but has been pretty healthy since the Jays drafted him. They dabbled with him starting, but eventually converted him full time to be a reliever. Given that he was a four year college guy, he's been old much every level coming up. Repeated A+ at the beginning of this year, but the light really came on for him.

Its really nice to see another late round pick make it to the majors.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Its actually very interesting. Big, tall lefty who's been drafted four different times (Pirates '09, Rockies '11, Arizona '12, and the Jays '13). He had a couple surgeries here and there, but has been pretty healthy since the Jays drafted him. They dabbled with him starting, but eventually converted him full time to be a reliever. Given that he was a four year college guy, he's been old much every level coming up. Repeated A+ at the beginning of this year, but the light really came on for him.

Its really nice to see another late round pick make it to the majors.

Surprised that he was called up, his strikeouts plummeted since reaching AAA last month. Nice to see both him and Mayza in the crosshairs though for possible pen duty next year, they have both had nice seasons.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Surprised that he was called up, his strikeouts plummeted since reaching AAA last month. Nice to see both him and Mayza in the crosshairs though for possible pen duty next year, they have both had nice seasons.

Barnes can be thrown in that category as well I think.

Someone has to replace Benoit and Grilli over the next couple of season. Grilli will probably play out his option, but Benoit could retire at the end of the year (like Hawkins last year). Feldman and Cecil are also UFA's; who know if they come back at all. Then there is already a revolving door where Schultz, Loup, Tepera, etc. play. All three of them could be let go or traded so some new (younger) blood can take their place.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Barnes can be thrown in that category as well I think.

Someone has to replace Benoit and Grilli over the next couple of season. Grilli will probably play out his option, but Benoit could retire at the end of the year (like Hawkins last year). Feldman and Cecil are also UFA's; who know if they come back at all. Then there is already a revolving door where Schultz, Loup, Tepera, etc. play. All three of them could be let go or traded so some new (younger) blood can take their place.

Barnes has maintained the K's in AAA. Going forward I would like to see us move Suriel and Perdomo to the pen and with Tapera, Dermody, Mayza and Barnes already in the mix for pen spots it would presumably give us a nice cadre of arms at or close to the major league level by mid season to really alleviate the pen issues with the mass exodus of arms we are about to have.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
I'm going to give Cecil the benefit of the doubt. He has had a lot of life change lately and if a baby is involved in that life change i'm sure his regular schedule has been upended which probably affects him. When Cecil has been good, he is REALLY good. I think he'll do better in September and I'm ok with going with him to the World Series (yes, I just went there.).

Last edited:

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Are the Jays going to sign Thole? I thought if that was the plan that it would have happened by now.

I wouldn't be shocked if we go back to a 5 man rotation for September with Dickey being the odd man out. He could go be the "long man" in the pen and the plethora of arms we call up could piece together the odd start if we need to rest the starters or "a" starter once or twice. We need quality innings now and Dickey just doesn't really cut it.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I wouldn't be shocked if we go back to a 5 man rotation for September with Dickey being the odd man out. He could go be the "long man" in the pen and the plethora of arms we call up could piece together the odd start if we need to rest the starters or "a" starter once or twice. We need quality innings now and Dickey just doesn't really cut it.

Still better than Liriano

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
But Liriano only requires 1 roster spot.

I think it could depend on how some of the other lefties out of the pen fair over the next short while. The Jays really need a good lefty out of the pen and if they can't get enough out of Cecil/one of the call ups, they may look to move Liriano into the pen to try and shore that up while keeping Dickey in the rotation. Not sure how impactful Liriano would be as a reliever but it's an option.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I think it could depend on how some of the other lefties out of the pen fair over the next short while. The Jays really need a good lefty out of the pen and if they can't get enough out of Cecil/one of the call ups, they may look to move Liriano into the pen to try and shore that up while keeping Dickey in the rotation. Not sure how impactful Liriano would be as a reliever but it's an option.

That seems more of a playoff move to me.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Dickey's been really good lately. If he was struggling, I could see testing him out in the bullpen to see what he can do in that role in advance of the playoffs, but he's strung together a handful of effective starts, so I think they're better off using him to eat up innings for now.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Pompey, Tepera, Barnes, Dermody with Loup and Schultz to follow are your September call ups.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Tepera is the only one on that list that really scares me. Loup and Schultz are iffy. The rest I have no clue.:shakehead:D

Calling up a bunch of bullpen guys usually makes sense because it gives you more options to get matchups or have guys eat up innings in blowouts.

At first, I was surprised Pompey was the only position player, but then I remembered Goins is already up, so they'll have an extra infielder too when Barney's back.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Dickey's been really good lately. If he was struggling, I could see testing him out in the bullpen to see what he can do in that role in advance of the playoffs, but he's strung together a handful of effective starts, so I think they're better off using him to eat up innings for now.

I doubt Dickey even makes the playoff roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad