Post-Game Talk: TRADE DEADLINE 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I think y’all underestimate just how undesirable Bergevin’s leftovers are.
If Savard can be sold, he should be sold. If Matheson can be sold, he should be sold. After last year's lesson, ensuring we lose out this year should be a priority for Hughes. "Winning culture" didn't contribute a thing when the Habs lack so much talent. Matheson and Savard are genuinely decent NHL players who deserve a shot to compete for the Cup before their careers end.

Allen was extended by Hughes so he's a Hughes leftover at this point. Anderson had interest, we don't know what it was or under what cap-retention conditions, but we can't expect there to be any interest in him so he remains a Bergevin leftover. Gallagher, no need to speculate. Armia, I don't think there is any interest in him with his full cap-hit so that's excused as well.

It's mostly the smoke around Savard and Matheson that is frustrating to hear -- the Habs should be selling. You can't lose and not sell non-core assets -- it is irrational and it is bad asset management. There is no long-term or medium-term or short-term benefit to holding onto 33-turning-34 David Savard.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Other than the clowning on Leafsnet and TSN are there any good live streams or anything to listen to what’s happening?

Reactions: sampollock

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
AX is flourishing with Savard. The question is do you want a better pick or do you want Xhekaj to keep developing with a good mentor

Yes, this is the question. Whether we get a late 1st or a 2nd + is less important.

Believe me, I am torn on this one. I do believe a player like Demidov or Cayden Lindstrom could change the franchise for 15 years. So what would I do if we traded Savard to keep helping Xhekaj develop? Play him with our best RD (Guhle) and sign a vet UFA RD in the summer.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Yes, this is the question. Whether we get a late 1st or a 2nd + is less important.

Believe me, I am torn on this one. I do believe a player like Demidov or Cayden Lindstrom could change the franchise for 15 years. So what would I do if we traded Savard to keep helping Xhekaj develop? Play him with our best RD (Guhle) and sign a vet UFA RD in the summer.
The struggle and hockey morals in my head right now

Reactions: 26Mats

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada

+ Use the draft capital to move up this draft. That would be my plan. Try to take one of the top 2-3 forwards this draft.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
AX is flourishing with Savard. The question is do you want a better pick or do you want Xhekaj to keep developing with a good mentor
Don't you feel the mentor stuff is a bit irrational? We have coaches and trainers and skills coaches, these are professional athletes they don't need their friends around to play better. Motivation to play and improve in the NHL should be sufficient... I feel asset management with Savard should take priority over his chemistry with Xhekaj. It's not like this pairing is important to our future competitive performance, Savard won't even be here when the Habs next win a playoff series.

Reactions: habsfan891

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Don't you feel the mentor stuff is a bit irrational? We have coaches and trainers and skills coaches, these are professional athletes they don't need their friends around to play better. Motivation to play and improve in the NHL should be sufficient... I feel asset management with Savard should take priority over his chemistry with Xhekaj. It's not like this pairing is important to our future competitive performance, Savard won't even be here when the Habs next win a playoff series.
I think there’s a human aspect of comfort. You can’t teach that but you’re also right. Depends on the player but I don’t know Xhekaj

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad