Trade Deadline 2015 Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Definitely a sellers market. Too bad last year wasn't. So happy Vermette stays out of the east and away from the rags.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Getting Okposo back will be huge as will Cizikas, this would push Mouleriat out of lineup and probably Mcdonald 13th forward then hopefully they get Grabovski back and they should be ok at forward so as long as they feel that those players are coming back probably no need to trade assets for another forward. I'd like to see them get a D-man but perhaps they feel Carkner would be better then anything they can go out and get.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I don't see the need for a big trade from this team. At most bring in a decent defender to replace strait as the extra and that's it.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Staple's last article on this two days ago said no moves were coming, fwiw. He's been wrong before despite team contacts being his source, but it wouldn't surprise me.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Staple's last article on this two days ago said no moves were coming, fwiw. He's been wrong before despite team contacts being his source, but it wouldn't surprise me.

In this season of overpayment, I personally feel we are not "1 player away" from making the Cup finals or our window of opportunity is closing in the next year or two so kinda glad that nothing may be forthcoming. That said, if we could get a big physical dman to possibly give us a better chance to extend a run without having to give up a true blue chip prospect, I would love for that to happen.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007

To be totally honest, at this point, as long as it does not upset the major core of the team, I almost just want to see us make a move just to prove yet again that Art Staple is a clown with no knowledge whatsoever about what the team will do. Even if it is just to add the likes of Glencross, or Condra or Eric Cole or Z Michalek, I just want to see that clown have to write an article about a trade we made after his 100 articles and tweets about how we will do nothing. Remember, he has never said we wont make a major move, he has literally said over and over again, we will do NOTHING.

And as I have said over and over again, the guy is one of the worst sports beat writers I have ever seen. He literally watches the games and practices and asks the easy, basic questions and writes the stories from what he is told or sees. I dont think the guy has dug deeper or asked a tough question one day in his life.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Not that this is a bash Staple thread but I remember him sayin Islanders were in on Saad either last deadline or the one before :laugh: and it was immediately shot down by everyone else. Not that it's actually Art's fault I think the team just uses him as propaganda more than anything. The team doesn't leak info unless they specifically want it out there there's no holes in the front office.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I'll tell you all this: Don't listen to anything that anyone says. Staple, Eklund, Dreger, BD etc etc etc. How many times were we told "Nothing will happen. Garth is going into the season with what he has. No major moves are coming." Then in early Oct, out of nowhere Leddy and Boychuk. Grabbo and Kulemin outta nowhere. Halak out of nowhere. Vanek for Mouslon outta nowhere. Seriously, I take whatever anyone says about this team with the littlest grain of salt as possible. Garth is a very "cards close to the vest" kinda guy. Only he knows what he's doing.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I'll tell you all this: Don't listen to anything that anyone says. Staple, Eklund, Dreger, BD etc etc etc. How many times were we told "Nothing will happen. Garth is going into the season with what he has. No major moves are coming." Then in early Oct, out of nowhere Leddy and Boychuk. Grabbo and Kulemin outta nowhere. Halak out of nowhere. Vanek for Mouslon outta nowhere. Seriously, I take whatever anyone says about this team with the littlest grain of salt as possible. Garth is a very "cards close to the vest" kinda guy. Only he knows what he's doing.

I agree, Garth is a non source guy. You'd have to figure he is listening on depth guys but without a 1st or 2nd rounder next year he is probably looking at dealing a 4th or 5th rounder for anyone so the market will have to come down for Isles to get involved. I wonder if the NCAA free agent route is a possiblity for them to add some depth.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not that this is a bash Staple thread but I remember him sayin Islanders were in on Saad either last deadline or the one before :laugh: and it was immediately shot down by everyone else. Not that it's actually Art's fault I think the team just uses him as propaganda more than anything. The team doesn't leak info unless they specifically want it out there there's no holes in the front office.

Teams have always done that with the press. It's pretty much accepted that George Steinbrenner's "Yankees sources" in the 1970's and 80's were Henry Hecht of the Post and Bill Madden of the Daily News.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
Snow was able to land both Leddy and Boychuck without the entire hockey world knowing a damn thing until the day it happened...don't be shocked if he fools them again.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
So the metro keeps making improvements. Glencross to WSH. I just wouldn't understand somehow if Garth doesn't do anything.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

He said (and I'm paraphrasing) they were highly interested in Saad, which was essentially, yes, propaganda.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If there's a move to be made, the only one possible that I believe would really help this healthy team in the PO's is bringing in Phaneuf. It would push CdH/Hamonic to our 3rd pairing and Hickey to depth defenseman. He also fits the criteria of what the Isles are trying to do.... he's still young, Captain and signed long term. If Toronto doesn't have to eat salary, I'd bet it would cost a lot less than people think to aquire him.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Obviously a move could happen, but I'd peg the chances of it happening less than 1%.

All of these rental deals start at either a 2nd and then you are adding from there. The deals for 3rds would return players worse than what we currently have.

The player for player deals involve guys who are currently struggling. What struggling Islanders are there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad