Trade Deadline 2015 Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think Snow realizes this team isn't ready to go all the way this year and that's why he's not making a big move

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I may be in the minority but happy the rangers are mortgaging their future and going all in.. will make it sweeter when they get knocked out this year knowing their future will likely include a slow decline over the next few years while the Isles continue to improve (I think Duclair will be a beast and all those #1s they have traded away ouch)..sure Yandle makes them better but we will go only as far as our special teams and goaltending takes us. the rangers moves are not as big of a concern to me. no panic moves please.

Many of my Rangers friends are pretty sick over that trade, no way is Yandle staying there and they gave up a guy who really looks like he's gonna be good, I'm never trading DuClair for an offensive Dman who's a rental

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Many of my Rangers friends are pretty sick over that trade, no way is Yandle staying there and they gave up a guy who really looks like he's gonna be good, I'm never trading DuClair for an offensive Dman who's a rental

Yandle has another year on his contract. I agree though it was a bad move.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
When Tavares is 34, has won 3 cups and we are nearing the end of a great run and we want ONE last shot we do what the Rangers did today.

When your entire core is below 26 you do what Snow did. Absolutely nothing until a deal makes sense to OUR team.

Billy Idol gets it, why can't others?

Our contention window just opened, let's see what this team is about in the playoffs before we try and fix anything. Every team in the league has holes, we bicker about a backup goalie and our 3rd pairing on defense. My god, what do we do?

Garth is doing the right thing, he did his work before the season when the prices were cheaper and you will get a better ROI.

After we win the Stanley Cup this year, Garth can tinker with the team over the summer. :)

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011
I think Snow realizes this team isn't ready to go all the way this year and that's why he's not making a big move

I think ( and hope) that the players on the team might disagree--- especially after the Nashville game--- I know it's just a VERY small sample, but to beat that team--- and Rinne- the way they did made me a believer.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I can't imagine how much it sucks to be a guy like Stempniak or Hillen today, you're not young and you could possibly be watching your team win a cup in 3 months, at least a guy like DuClair knows he'll have chances later

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
When Tavares is 34, has won 3 cups and we are nearing the end of a great run and we want ONE last shot we do what the Rangers did today.

When your entire core is below 26 you do what Snow did. Absolutely nothing until a deal makes sense to OUR team.

It is possible that a salary dump comes on the market that fits a need we have and the cost is minimal. Other than that unexpected possibility, it is wise to gain playoff experience this year for our core and take it as far as it will go, make the additions over the summer.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Oh my Lord what a bunch of Mary's....

Forget about how other teams are doing for a minute... this team is a handful of points from being the best in the league. Best in the league. Now, there are no guarantee's that it ends up like that.... but every single person here would have signed up for that at the beginning of the season. This team has done everything right, and they've gotten to where they are while suffering some major injuries.

Is the team perfect? Heck no... they could use a bottom pairing D with size and an upgrade over CJ. Big. Freaking. Deal. Any moves they make now will be a luxury and carry with it the possibility of hurting chemistry.

All that said, if one were to upgrade their offense on D.... you would be hard pressed to find a better option than Yandle. I have a hard time seeing that as being much of a problem for the Rangers though. Much more pressing is the need to upgrade down the middle.... I don't care what anyone says, if they win a cup with Stepan and Brassard as their 1/2 that would be the weakest duo down the middle for a contender in the 35 years I've watched the sport. There's also the severe lack of sandpaper throughout that roster. Other than Glass, who is a detriment whenever he's on the ice.... who is the cop on that team? Staal? Mr. Oopsie (Kreider)? Yandle does nothing to improve the overall defense of that bottom pairing... and their PP (where Yandle actually makes a difference) was already 11th.

In the grand scheme of things, they really gummed up their future by trading 2 1st rounders and their young captain for a 39 year old, thenfollowing that up with trading another 1st rounder and their best offensive prospect for a guy that is only under contract for another year.

They will be going 4 years (starting two years ago and ending two years from now) without a 1st rounder, and without the next 2 second rounders. For two players that might not even be back after next season.

See this is where you and others who think like you are wrong. I would love to buy into this theory and I try to get myself to think it (and will probably need to in order to sleep tonight), but lets face the facts. THe Rags do not need draft picks or prospects. We can keep saying that oh this year and next year blah blah blah, but in two years the Rags will have nothing blah blah blah. Everyone of you deep down inside knows what will happen. They will find another sucker to take Girardi or Staal's contract off their hands just like they did with Gomez and then they will trade for the newest shiniest defenseman or forward prize available in free agency or at the deadline and have some other team pick up half the salary. We have been talking about the Rags and their cap problems for like 6 or 7 years now, yet every year they find a way to get around it and are winning playoff series every year for a while now.

Here we had a season where the Isles are right there with the Rags AND everyone else. Right there, like competing for the presidents trophy right there. Who cares about 4 or 5 years from now. This might be the one year where everything falls into place and there is enough parody in the NHL to win a cup. Giving away years is a terrible philosophy to have when who knows, 10 years down the road we could look back and be kicking ourselves because this year was the year we could have best been set up for a cup run as of the beginning of March.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
See this is where you and others who think like you are wrong. I would love to buy into this theory and I try to get myself to think it (and will probably need to in order to sleep tonight), but lets face the facts. THe Rags do not need draft picks or prospects. We can keep saying that oh this year and next year blah blah blah, but in two years the Rags will have nothing blah blah blah. Everyone of you deep down inside knows what will happen. They will find another sucker to take Girardi or Staal's contract off their hands just like they did with Gomez and then they will trade for the newest shiniest defenseman or forward prize available in free agency or at the deadline and have some other team pick up half the salary. We have been talking about the Rags and their cap problems for like 6 or 7 years now, yet every year they find a way to get around it and are winning playoff series every year for a while now.

Here we had a season where the Isles are right there with the Rags AND everyone else. Right there, like competing for the presidents trophy right there. Who cares about 4 or 5 years from now. This might be the one year where everything falls into place and there is enough parody in the NHL to win a cup. Giving away years is a terrible philosophy to have when who knows, 10 years down the road we could look back and be kicking ourselves because this year was the year we could have best been set up for a cup run as of the beginning of March.

They'll be incredibly lucky to go far This year with this dreadful PK.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

:shakehead:shakehead

If anyone in that locker room thinks they aint ready then trade them for a bag of pucks. Those guys believe in themselves.. Our competition just got tougher. We need to address certain issues that wouldnt break the bank.. I believe this year is our year. I feel the momentum we have and the that fans believe it. I wont sit back and be happy with a 1st round elimination. I want us in the final 4 making the biggest push. This team can do it.. Just add the additional pieces.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I think someone with more money to throw around will out bid them probably, they have a crap ton of money on the books and still will after 2016

Agree. He can get money and term he wants else where and rags will not be as good come time for his decision. He will go to a team more in isles position

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011

If anyone in that locker room thinks they aint ready then trade them for a bag of pucks. Those guys believe in themselves.. Our competition just got tougher. We need to address certain issues that wouldnt break the bank.. I believe this year is our year. I feel the momentum we have and the that fans believe it. I wont sit back and be happy with a 1st round elimination. I want us in the final 4 making the biggest push. This team can do it.. Just add the additional pieces.

I see you make these posts quite often. Just wondering, what moves would you make to improve the team? Who would you target and who would you give up?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Or stay the course and make these trades in a year or two when they MAKE SENSE. Sellers market, first year being good, and the only way to get these guys is unload the prospects and first rounders we love.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
You know why I'm not as worried about the special teams and CJ as many of you? Because it isn't about how those things are working in October, December and January when their numbers are compiling. It's about how well they're doing in the playoffs. Does anyone here honestly think this team doesn't have the players to be top 10 or better in both PK and PP? And who gives a **** about CJ in the playoffs? Let me tell you something.... if Halak isn't starting in the PO's we're in trouble no mater who it is backing him up outside getting another legit starter.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
1) Nobody will outbid the Rangers. 2) Every player wants to play for the Rangers.

Who cares about the Rangers? What they do has no bearing on the Islanders.... if you start making moves in response to other teams, you're going to be flipping over your roster constantly. That isn't how you build a consistent winner.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
1) Nobody will outbid the Rangers. 2) Every player wants to play for the Rangers.

They aren't dumb enough to go 8/80 for a lousy defensive offensive defenseman, some dumbass GM will though. Being that meh guy at your position in free agency is like the really ugly dude who never has a girlfriend but ends up marrying the super model because he's out there so long, eventually someone has bad taste and thinks he's good looking

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Two things, for all of the people bemoaning the Raggie$ moves today and celebrating their very recent success making a run in a down year in the conference last season, what move(s) are you looking to make exactly? Do you want to give up MDC or Pulock for a Yandle-type player? Because that would be the cost or a larger package built around multiple, quality assets. Now a better backup goalie or some vet depth, might be available for a reasonable cost.

Second, for all of the Raggie$ love being spouted by some on this board, they missed the playoffs for seven (7) years from the 1997-98 to 2003-04 seasons. Then they were a decidedly mediocre playoff team from 2005-06 through 2010-11. Most of the Rag$ success came when Lundqvist arrived and then improved when he took his game to the next level. Hold no illusions, unless the next Lundqvist is in their pipeline or on the way, burning premium draft picks, trading away young players and signing declining players to robust, long-term contracts is not the recipe for sustained success, lol.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
Who cares about the Rangers? What they do has no bearing on the Islanders.... if you start making moves in response to other teams, you're going to be flipping over your roster constantly. That isn't how you build a consistent winner.

I don't care about the Rangers. But, people are rationalizing this away with nonsense about Yandle walking and that kind of nonsense. Rags can and will sign virtually any player they choose.

BMOK33 said:
They aren't dumb enough to go 8/80 for a lousy defensive offensive defenseman, some dumbass GM will though.

Have you seen the contracts the Rags have given out the last 4-5 years?

Last edited:

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
I see you make these posts quite often. Just wondering, what moves would you make to improve the team? Who would you target and who would you give up?

I wouldnt break the bank for anyone id just take care of the needs. Back up goalie and defense. I actually like our offense, everyone hustles and as much as I would love Kessel I wouldnt trade everyone for him.

Reimer for Donovan or Chad Johnson straight up.

Michaelek - Id offer Pelech/Ness type combo and a 3rd

We have a ton of players.. we dont need to offer the 2016 #1 pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad