Trade Deadline 2015 Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Fwiw, an equivalent deal from us would be a first, maybe Hickey, and Reinhart/Pulock/Dal Colle. Maybe a second too. Maloney supposedly coveted Duclair.

Surprised Arizona couldn't find a match for a 2015 first.

MBossy22

Feb 9, 2015
Long Island, NY
Agreed. That package isn't as lucrative as it looks, although Duclair was Domi's (AZ prospect) WJC linemate. They were money together an AZ has guys like Dvorak, Samuelsson, and Perlini in the pipleline plus a lottery pick and two 1sts on top of the that.

The Rangers are in win now mode, acquiring St. Louis has basically forced them to be. This is a good deal for them.

Looks like they are close to re-signing Zuccarello too. If they want any chance of re-signing Yandle, they need to call up Nonis or find a way to make Girardi's contract go poof.

I'm kind of upset about this deal, because I'm basically forced to hate Yandle now and it makes the Rangers stronger now. I'm a massuve Yandle fan.

Yeah I honestly think this move gives the rags the edge now in the division. Unless Garth makes a move I have a bad feeling about the last 20 games (a couple less for us)

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Great deal for both sides. A little odd that Arizona is retaining 50% of Yandle's salary though. I really like Yandle a lot so it sucks to see him go to the Rangers.

I would have made an offer if we had a 1st this year (Hickey, Reinhart and a 1st) if I was Snow but there really isn't much we could do in this case. The Rangers window to win is in the year or two, maybe 3 years tops. There is no way I'd give up our best players/prospects when we have a chance to be contenders for the next decade. Just not worth it to make a move like that right now.

I'm going to lose it if the Rags get Bozak tomorrow.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Great deal for both sides. A little odd that Arizona is retaining 50% of Yandle's salary though. I really like Yandle a lot so it sucks to see him go to the Rangers.

I would have made an offer if we had a 1st this year (Hickey, Reinhart and a 1st) if I was Snow but there really isn't much we could do in this case. The Rangers window to win is in the year or two, maybe 3 years tops. There is no way I'd give up our best players/prospects when we have a chance to be contenders for the next decade. Just not worth it to make a move like that right now.

I'm going to lose it if the Rags get Bozak tomorrow.

Didn't the Rangers trade a 2016 1st round pick in the Yandle trade ? If that's the case, we have a 2016 1st round pick also. Obviously Snow didn't want Yandle, he could have made it work.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Didn't the Rangers trade a 2016 1st round pick in the Yandle trade ? If that's the case, we have a 2016 1st round pick also. Obviously Snow didn't want Yandle, he could have made it work.

Were in it for the long haul. Just made the Metro race a lot more interesting. Damn Rags are already nipping at our heels. Still they paid ALOT for Yandle. Clearly in "win now" mode. With MSL and Boyle not getting any younger, their going all in. Talk about mortgaging your future, now I am that much more adamant about us eliminating them.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Rags gave up alot to get Yandle.

When you think about it, they really didn't. John Moore sucks, he's their Strait, Duclair, whom I loved in the draft, well you never know with prospects, could be hit or miss. And that 1st round pick will be more like a 2nd round pick because it'll be low. You always trade for the definite, we know what Yandle is, one of the best offensive dmen in the league, there is no guessing there. With Duclair and the #1 pick, you don't know what you're gonna get, could be busts, or could be studs, but you may have to wait several years to find out, while the Rangers will get to use the benefits of Yandle's offensive talents RIGHT now, while the Coyotes foot half the bill of the contract. I think it's a great trade.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie

Teams can trade all they want, but 15 of 16 playoff teams will end up empty handed, as only 1 team can win the Cup and I believe in these guys whether they make a move or not. Lets Go :isles

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
BTW, we're not in win now mode. We're in a "build a contender for a long time" mode. Trades like the Yandle trade aren't going to fly with the way this team is constructed. That's why the Vanek trade didn't work out.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011

Hmmm... Didn't realize it was a 2016. I would have considered it then in that case. Although I'm not a fan of not having 1st round picks in back to back years. I'd defiantly think about it though.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Does the Yandle deal make them better? No doubt, does it make them unbeatable, absolutely not. Deal doesn't address their faceoff concerns, doesn't make them bigger or more physically imposing--which I think was their biggest needs. It probably wins them the division but I don't think it is the missing piece they needed.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
BTW, we're not in win now mode. We're in a "build a contender for a long time" mode. Trades like the Yandle trade aren't going to fly with the way this team is constructed. That's why the Vanek trade didn't work out.

The Vanek trade didn't work out because Snow was not able to upgrade the goaltending or defense before the season started. Something we all knew had to be done after 2013.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Agreed, been saying that all along. Several people here think we are Cup contenders right now. I've disagreed with that. We are definitely several pieces away. With that horrible PK, average defense, and somewhat shaky goaltending, I'd be THRILLED to win a round.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

Clearly you're right. Then again, the future is not guaranteed. We have the best possession team in the league RIGHT NOW, and finally we have adequate goaltending for a real run. I can't blame Garth for taking the long-term approach, but he absolutely would be justified if he decided to go for it this year.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Were in it for the long haul. Just made the Metro race a lot more interesting. Damn Rags are already nipping at our heels. Still they paid ALOT for Yandle. Clearly in "win now" mode. With MSL and Boyle not getting any younger, their going all in. Talk about mortgaging your future, now I am that much more adamant about us eliminating them.

Mortgaging what?? The Rangers have $$$$$$$$$$$$ come free agency they will be in the hunt to sign anyone they please. We will too once we move to BK.. Unfortunately we are stuck with a small market mentality.

In the future nothing is guaranteed and I am not a fan of wasting a perfect opportunity that we have.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Rangers just became the best team in the east. We have a chance of healthy but I doubt we win a 4 game series against them. Our defense hobestly just isn't good enough.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
When you think about it, they really didn't. John Moore sucks, he's their Strait, Duclair, whom I loved in the draft, well you never know with prospects, could be hit or miss. And that 1st round pick will be more like a 2nd round pick because it'll be low. You always trade for the definite, we know what Yandle is, one of the best offensive dmen in the league, there is no guessing there. With Duclair and the #1 pick, you don't know what you're gonna get, could be busts, or could be studs, but you may have to wait several years to find out, while the Rangers will get to use the benefits of Yandle's offensive talents RIGHT now, while the Coyotes foot half the bill of the contract. I think it's a great trade.

also the 2nd for a 4th was swapped.

So Moore, Duclair, 1st and 2nd for Yandle and a 4th.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
And now the Rags just extended Zuccarello. I was hoping they would at least lose him. They are the clear winners right now of the trade deadline unless something drastic happens by tomorrow. Nightmare day for us and other Metro teams. I am just so pissed off right now, I could punch a wall.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Agreed, been saying that all along. Several people here think we are Cup contenders right now. I've disagreed with that. We are definitely several pieces away. With that horrible PK, average defense, and somewhat shaky goaltending, I'd be THRILLED to win a round.

Exactly. Will anyone really be that upset if we don't win the Cup this year? I fully expect us to lose in the Conference Finals to Montreal and gain plenty of learning experience. We have a great, young core and a lot of really good prospects.

OT, I think Montreal is the best team in the East. Better than the Rangers and I'm sure they'll make a trade or two for good players. My guess is they get Petry from Edmonton and their defense will look great.

Clearly you're right. Then again, the future is not guaranteed. We have the best possession team in the league RIGHT NOW, and finally we have adequate goaltending for a real run. I can't blame Garth for taking the long-term approach, but he absolutely would be justified if he decided to go for it this year.

Oh trust me, if he made a move that made us a better team now and turned us into legit Cup contenders, I'd be happy. But you have to give to get, and we don't have a lot worth giving.

Boychuk not re-signing and not being replaced would be devastating. Otherwise, this team is in very good shape.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Lol, as an Isles fan, I love the Rag$ trade for Yandle. This is a great day for Isles fans when you look at the big picture.

The Raggie$ already gave up their 2015 first rounder in the MSL-Callahan deal. Now they have given up their 2016 first rounder, a terrific prospect in Duclair (who really worried me long term if the Isles had to face him for the next 5-7 years), a 2015 second and a depth player in Moore (who will probably play much better for the Yotes). While they will get Tampa's second rounder this season, that is a ton of premium picks and a great prospect for an aging team to give up. The Rag$ better win it this season or next or it will all be a bust. After that, you are going to see one old and overpaid team with very few young players coming along to supplement the aging core.

I am willing to wait and see what, if anything Snow does tomorrow, however, I am fine if he stands pat or just makes a small, veteran addition. All I would be willing to move is Hickey and/or Strait (since both are signed next year for cheap and that is attractive to a cap-strapped team), any prospect below Pelech (so no MDC, Ho-sang, Pulock, Reinhart or even Mayfield - who I am very high on having watched his growth with the BST) for an upgrade on that 6th defender and/or a veteran center to add depth, help on the PK and take important face offs.

All the Isles have to do is get into the playoffs IMHO this season. Sure I would like to see them make a deep run, however, the most important thing is to just gain experience for the young players. The Isles are built for a sustained 5-10 year run.

The Raggie$ are built for the next two years then the window closes and it could get ugly. The cherry on top will be if the Rag$ resign Zuccarello to another cap-crippling deal, say something for five years and $25 to $27.5-million plus, or trade him away for another old codger like MSL. Either they are going to further cripple their cap or lose one of their best possession players - just after losing a game due to poor possession to a bad Flyers team, lol.

Look if the Raggie$ win the cup this season (or next), they can hold their head high and celebrate a terrific accomplishment. However, fail to secure a cup in this limited window of opportunity and it is going to be very tough to justify these deals as they gut their system.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Mortgaging what?? The Rangers have $$$$$$$$$$$$ come free agency they will be in the hunt to sign anyone they please. We will too once we move to BK.. Unfortunately we are stuck with a small market mentality.

In the future nothing is guaranteed and I am not a fan of wasting a perfect opportunity that we have.

The rangers have a lot of money tied up in a few players, they arent going to be able to afford to sign free agents because of the salary cap. There prospect pool was relatively thin, and it just got significantly thinner.

We will have the opportunity to sign free agents, while having young kids come up and fill roles while not costing a ton of money.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
And now the Rags just extended Zuccarello. I was hoping they would at least lose him. They are the clear winners right now of the trade deadline unless something drastic happens by tomorrow. Nightmare day for us and other Metro teams. I am just so pissed off right now, I could punch a wall.

We're what, 4 & 1 against them this year? They needed to improve if they want to beat us.

And you could punch a wall? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad