Speculation: "Toronto's forward lines look like Swiss cheese" - Jay Rosehill

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Looks similar to last year. Questionable depth down the middle, likely relying on Domi in an offensive 3C role which will put more defensive minutes on Tavares/Matthews. You'd like some security/flexibility to move JT to LW if needed,

Left side is talented, but inexperienced. Knies and Robertson will need to take a step forward.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
If if if Berube were to appeal to Tre to trade for a 2nd line C, things could improve.

John Tavares had a solid career. He is still a good player. He could be so useful as a 3rd line C.

Most teams could probably match up ok vs a Tavares lead 2nd line. Very few teams could match up with a Tavares lead 3rd line.

He could score and win faceoffs vs other teams 3rd line. Forget about how much he makes. This could improve the situation greatly.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
If if if Berube were to appeal to Tre to trade for a 2nd line C, things could improve.

John Tavares had a solid career. He is still a good player. He could be so useful as a 3rd line C.

Most teams could probably match up ok vs a Tavares lead 2nd line. Very few teams could match up with a Tavares lead 3rd line.

He could score and win faceoffs vs other teams 3rd line. Forget about how much he makes. This could improve the situation greatly.
tavares would be a top 6 C in like 80-9]% of NHL team. yes JT ia overpay for what he really bring but atill a great 2C, don't create need when leafs don't and Jt in Berube style will be to use more his strenght than with Keefe system, i'm pretty sure.

You're better to focus on real need to create an other one who's actually not a need.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
tavares would be a top 6 C in like 80-9]% of NHL team. yes JT ia overpay for what he really bring but atill a great 2C, don't create need when leafs don't and Jt in Berube style will be to use more his strenght than with Keefe system, i'm pretty sure.

You're better to focus on real need to create an other one who's actually not a need.
Toronto has a need: Center Depth. It's practically the genesis/inspiration for Jay Rosehill's comments. I hope and pray that Berube differs from Keefe in which he actually balances lines better.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Was anyone talking about trading picks?
How would that work anyway?
Without trading players they can't add to the team.

They don't have valuable players that are tradeable. Any players traded will be the cap dump portion of the deal.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Toronto has a need: Center Depth. It's practically the genesis/inspiration for Jay Rosehill's comments. I hope and pray that Berube differs from Keefe in which he actually balances lines better.

I'm curious.

Not doubting your assertion, but is there a definitive list/report available showing the center depth of all 2024-2025 NHL teams?

Matthews, Tavares is a pretty good top 2.
Kampf is your typical bottom 6 limited use center.
Domi would be lower case middle 6.

Just like to see a valid/honest evaluation, and this forum isn't the source for any unbiased evaluation.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I mean you just got rid of two of our top PK guys so who are you replacing them with in this lineup? people who want to move Kampf/Jarnkrok generally just looking at offense with no care about the defensive side of the game or the Penalty kill. we were a terrible PK last year and by the looks of it from a forward perspective you just made it worst.

That’s not entirely fair.
I want to move Kampf and Jarnkrok because I wanted to improve the 3C but that ship has most likely sailed. Subtracting Kampf with no replacement for his defensive and PK usage doesn’t improve us. He is without a doubt overpaid though.

Even with keeping Kampf and having now signed Dewar, we still need another 1-2 PK guys imo. I think we should be aiming to get Marner off the PK

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs have a low probability to win the cup but that is an easy prediction

1721925124920.png

Reactions: al secord

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Just like to see a valid/honest evaluation, and this forum isn't the source for any unbiased evaluation.
Lets not forget we live and play in a Salary Cap World..

Matthews, Tavares is a pretty good top 2 that consume $24.25 mil cap space combined

John Tavares finished 72nd in NHL scoring last year with 29 goals and 65 points and has the 10th highest Cap hit in the NHL and the 6th highest Center.

We already know Matthews is the highest paid player in the game in 2024-25.

So Leafs have the #1 and #6 highest cap hit centres in the NHL is that good?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
When was the last time a lineup posted in July was the one that started the playoffs?
Not only that, but it's some talking head's version of what he thinks, and he may well have designed it to support his 'bad lineup' opinion.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You cant have Dewar, Janrkok, Kampf, Homlberg taking 4 of your 6 bottom 6 spots

That 4 guys who cant give 2G combined in a series

He is a nobody click-baiter
We are all nobodies posting on here

He played in the NHL and isnt stating anything different from what most of leaf board thinks

Our weakness is our bottom 6 + core 4 going MIA come playoffs

2nd in goals for last year.
2nd Last in goals per game I believe for the playoffs in R1 serieses

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Leafs Morning Take Podcast

July 18th podcast 11:30 into the show

Knies Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
Cowen Domi Jarnkrok
McMann Kampf Reaves

Minton, Dewer, and Holmberg out

"Too many no name guys to do something special"

'The defense looks solid. The forward group looks like Swiss cheese to me".

I think I agree.

Possibly the weakest LW in hockey. Frig ...Knies is not a #1 LW on the Habs ... :P

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I disagree, there are certainly some holes in it for sure, namely 3rd line center but the rest of it? I don't see it.

You still got Matthews and Tavares as your top 2 centers that's still a good top 2 even if Tavares Isn't what he was 5 years ago.

You got very strong wing depth in Marner, Nylander, Domi, Knies,, Jarnkrok, Robertson and Mcmann, Kampf is still a quality 4C, granted an overpaid one but still a good one.

Plus You have Minten and Cowan coming up.

There is a weak spot at 3rd spot at 3rd line center, that's not up for debate but beyond that I don't see the issue.
I think you need to look closer

Carl Jarnkrok as 1G & 3 pts in 18 playoff games as a leaf

Kampf has 3G and 6 pts in 25 playoff games as a leaf

Robertson has 1G and 1 pt in 10 playoff games as a leaf

Holmberg has 0G and 0 pts in 7 playoff games as a leaf

McMann has never played the playoffs nad has some doubts if hes a 15-20G guy or a <10G guy

Marner and Nylander are 72 and 65 pt players in the playoffs so good low end 1st liners

Domi & Knies are good depth players but we saw they played good vs boston and we still lost in 7

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Lets not forget we live and play in a Salary Cap World..

Matthews, Tavares is a pretty good top 2 that consume $24.25 mil cap space combined

John Tavares finished 72nd in NHL scoring last year with 29 goals and 65 points and has the 10th highest Cap hit in the NHL and the 6th highest Center.

We already know Matthews is the highest paid player in the game in 2024-25.

So Leafs have the #1 and #6 highest cap hit centres in the NHL is that good?

It really depends on how the coach utilizes those assets, right?

If they won the Cup with:

Robertson-Matthews-marner
Knies-Domi-Nylander
Cowan-Tavares-Grebyonkin
McMann-Kampf-Jarnkrok

Would we care how much the 3rd. line cost?

Money is already spent.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'm curious.

Not doubting your assertion, but is there a definitive list/report available showing the center depth of all 2024-2025 NHL teams?

You could go with Matthews/JT all season and find regular season success. Perhaps we are trying to come up with a solution. Is it biased to say they have post-season failure?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I’m just glad the lineup doesn’t feature plugs like Jay Rosehill.

TBH we have plenty up front if our star players play up to their potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad