Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That sounds dreadful and ripe with nostalgia with no real semblance of being relevant or current.
It sounds like tbat one incoherent and rambling relative we all have
OK. The best way not know anything about the show is to not listen.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
OK. The best way not know anything about the show is to not listen.
I’ll pass thanks. Enough quality content out there to not have to listen to a xenophobic old dinosaur ramble on about nonsense and “the good old days”

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I take my dog for a walk during the intermission. Coach's corner used to be must watch TV, now that Cherry is gone they didn't replace it with something worthwhile.

I stopped watching the intermissions when they took Peter away.
5e2e1d0414bbae9a5ed5442b8ab9ae47.jpg

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The worst thing any form of entertainment can be is boring. Cherry has controversial views but Coaches Corner was never boring. RSN's intermissions are sleep inducing. I don't even dislike any of their analysts, it's just dull. TSN's intermissions are a level above but I don't go out of my way to watch them or even stay in my seat for them. TNT in the States seems to have gotten it right from the jump. Shouldn't be surprised that the studio behind Inside the NBA would put out a more entertaining intermission product than what we do out here.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
The worst thing any form of entertainment can be is boring. Cherry has controversial views but Coaches Corner was never boring. RSN's intermissions are sleep inducing. I don't even dislike any of their analysts, it's just dull. TSN's intermissions are a level above but I don't go out of my way to watch them or even stay in my seat for them. TNT in the States seems to have gotten it right from the jump. Shouldn't be surprised that the studio behind Inside the NBA would put out a more entertaining intermission product than what we do out here.

While I'm happy for Brian Burke that he got back into hockey management, selfishly I wish he didn't and instead had stayed on the air. He was the guy who was bringing the entertainment quality to the intermission. Without him, like you say, it's just dull (although I dislike some of the analysts).

I haven't caught the TNT hockey panel but I have seen plenty of their NBA panel with Shaq/Barkley/EJ/Smith and to me that is the gold standard. If the hockey version is anything remotely close then it should do well.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
While I'm happy for Brian Burke that he got back into hockey management, selfishly I wish he didn't and instead had stayed on the air. He was the guy who was bringing the entertainment quality to the intermission. Without him, like you say, it's just dull (although I dislike some of the analysts).

I haven't caught the TNT hockey panel but I have seen plenty of their NBA panel with Shaq/Barkley/EJ/Smith and to me that is the gold standard. If the hockey version is anything remotely close then it should do well.

Burke was really tying it together. Had a natural chemistry with everyone. His departure was a massive loss with regards to the entertainment factor. Don’t blame him for jumping back into an actual executive job with an NHL team though.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I started watching more 1st intermissions after Cherry was canned.
do you find it entertaining? I have to admit that I haven't even given it a chance for a while. I tried for a couple of months after Cherry was fired and it seemed boring and not entertaining so I thought this was a good time for my dog's walk. I'm sure that there are many others who don't watch the intermission anymore, you're probably in the minority.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I find Sporsnet feels like they need to preach to me... for some reason. I am only here for hockey information, period. I find what they have evolved to is taking political or social issues and relate them to hockey... and I get it, I respect it, but it's not what I want - personally. I want hockey information irrespective of the current social or policical climate.

it is not always possible to avoid, so sure, touch on anything relevant.. but he core of their programming (intermissions, pre-game, etc.) is not driven by hockey imo, they just tie it back to make it seem relevant to the moment.

The segments where they are anlyzing actual hockey, I watch, and I enjoy, but again I watch sport to escape the sad realities of our general world, and Sportsnet focuses on that ad nauseam.

Compare that to TSN... it is the complete opposite really. Everything they discuss is driven from or by hockey, mainly NHL, and if that intersects with a politial or social happening, they make that tie-in, but do not dwell or focus on it.

it almost seems that since Don Cherry, the powers that be feel that have to make up for his social inappropriateness; they do not imo.

So I watch some segments, but ignore most of what I perceive to be preaching.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I'd forgotten how much I was enjoying not having to listen to Petrillo any longer

Overdrive was unlistenable today

It was like being dragged backwards through blackberry with no clothes on
As someone’s who’s back property line is a several hundred foot long wall of blackberry vines I have to say yikes to the thought of this comparison. Granted Andi is awful

Reactions: Kiwi

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
do you find it entertaining? I have to admit that I haven't even given it a chance for a while. I tried for a couple of months after Cherry was fired and it seemed boring and not entertaining so I thought this was a good time for my dog's walk. I'm sure that there are many others who don't watch the intermission anymore, you're probably in the minority.

I don't watch every one of them them. If I have something else to do, I will skip it. With Cherry, I would flip away even if I didn't have anything else to do.

I find a panel discussion more entertaining than Cherry incoherently yelling nonsense. I guess that might be entertaining for some. I find the current intermission passable, not great or anything. Cherry was just awful and had been for over a decade. I used to watch all the time, but he just got worse and worse until it was unbearable.

I don't know if that puts me in the minority but in my circle, most of us were happy to see him go.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You’re absolutely correct, after long enough grapes’ true colours showed themselves and rightly he was fired for it.
His colors haven’t changed. Has he not supported the military and their sacrifices throughout his career? Patriotism is a still a noble quality in a man.

Reactions: kb

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I usually listen to Leafs Nation, I'd say 3 of every 5 shows. I listen to Shannon and McCown for Blue Jay's chatter. I try to listen to NHL Today on the NHL Network.

Today I listened to Bourne and Kypper, their topic selection/coverage was like reading the 1st page of the TML section of HoF boards. I didn't really notice until they got to "what trophies will the Leafs win?" They followed that up with "what kind of team are the Leafs," and then "Nick Robertson" and followed it up JT's "struggles." Sure big topics but in order?

It's almost as comical as Dreger "sensing"
"At least one NHL GM" and name your favourite Leafs trade thread in the trade threads of HoF.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Overdrive has Keefe on and Odog and Hayes spend the first five minutes complaining about the use of technology on the bench. Keefe starts off by saying “well I don’t think there’s ever much use in going backwards” god these guys are so transparent

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Is there a more punchable personality on TV than Faizal Khamisa? How is this guy on Sportsnet connected. Yikes
Dangle, Leo, sid sixeiro, Mike wilner, Steve Simmons, feschuk, Carlo, noodles. Lots of poor quality media personalities in town.
I don’t know what you dislike about Faisal but he’s fine imo

Reactions: Roadhog

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I usually listen to Leafs Nation, I'd say 3 of every 5 shows. I listen to Shannon and McCown for Blue Jay's chatter. I try to listen to NHL Today on the NHL Network.

Today I listened to Bourne and Kypper, their topic selection/coverage was like reading the 1st page of the TML section of HoF boards. I didn't really notice until they got to "what trophies will the Leafs win?" They followed that up with "what kind of team are the Leafs," and then "Nick Robertson" and followed it up JT's "struggles." Sure big topics but in order?

It's almost as comical as Dreger "sensing"
"At least one NHL GM" and name your favourite Leafs trade thread in the trade threads of HoF.
Bourne is awful and is very transparent he trolls here for topics and hot button issues.
Justin if you’re reading this you suck.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Overdrive has Keefe on and Odog and Hayes spend the first five minutes complaining about the use of technology on the bench. Keefe starts off by saying “well I don’t think there’s ever much use in going backwards” god these guys are so transparent

O and Hayes are a comedy sports show, gotta keep some extra perspective on it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad