Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I have no ill will towawrds him, but i dont understand his appeal, he is like a meth addict on redbull
Dangle is the rare 0.01% what a lot of us have aspired to be -- a die hard Leaf fan who creates content about the team and is actually able to monetize it.

No one can deny his passion, and good for him to getting to where he is today. But the over-the-top screaming and shrilling I imagine will have a shelf life before the act runs thin. He seems like a good dude though, so I'm sure he'll easily re-focus his efforts onto something else to keep his name and brand going.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I don't understand this kind of view lol if you don't like him just don't consume his content. What is the point in hoping for him to fail? He doesn't seem like a bad person or anything.

You are right. Absolutely no question. And I don't consume his content. I actually used to like him, back when he first started around 08. Angry Leaf fan... totally relatable. If he kept it strictly Leafs with his views, rather than become an insufferable political commentator every now then, I'd probably still like him. Couple that with his show, in conjunction with Sportsnet, TSN, and HNIC, all jumping aboard the gambling money train I realized the guy was a complete sell out.

I also think he polarizes the team. You think him or Sid Sexiero for that matter would have the balls to say what they say on their soap boxes to the players faces? Gimme a break.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
I'm in a bizarro world right now. I listened to Kyper's segment this morning and enjoyed it. I liked his takes and opinions and nothing about him annoyed me. The exact opposite is happening with Mike Johnson. As of a late, he sounds like an annoying, fast-taking dork whose takes I don't like at all.

Help me.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I'm in a bizarro world right now. I listened to Kyper's segment this morning and enjoyed it. I liked his takes and opinions and nothing about him annoyed me. The exact opposite is happening with Mike Johnson. As of a late, he sounds like an annoying, fast-taking dork whose takes I don't like at all.

Help me.

That should be a wake-up call.

When the brain damaged guy makes sense and the Ivy-leaguer doesn't, then you really need to take a deep breath and reassess your approach to their competing opinions.

The 2 of them haven't shifted from their points of view or their approach to things, what has changed is the mentality of the people listening.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

When the brain damaged guy makes sense and the Ivy-leaguer doesn't, then you really need to take a deep breath and reassess your approach to their competing opinions.

The 2 of them haven't shifted from their points of view or their approach to things, what has changed is the mentality of the people listening.
Kyper has mellowed out compared to his old days. Alot of people are holding Kypers time on Sportsnet against him. The guy has changed and for the most part is a lot more calm and logic when taking. Yes he gives his opinion which sometimes sounds wild but everyone does that.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022

Kyper has mellowed out compared to his old days. Alot of people are holding Kypers time on Sportsnet against him. The guy has changed and for the most part is a lot more calm and logic when taking. Yes he gives his opinion which sometimes sounds wild but everyone does that.
This. His bad takes are exaggerated. He has actually been more right than wrong in the last year or two with respect to the Leafs and what they needed to do for success.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

Kyper gets some heat and sure he deserves some of it, but he also has had a lot of insightful takes on the sport that others didn't get.

One little gem was his prediction in 2017(?) Marner is going to wait until after his 3rd season to sign post-ELC contract so he could get a full season playing with Tavares, put up big numbers then reap the rewards asking for $10-11M/per.

I do listen to his and Bourne's show a few days a week now and while yes he still has the occasional buffoonish raging when someone tries to tell him he's wrong, he's pretty solid. He knows the game, the mindset of players, coaches, GMs pretty well.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Some definitely do. Kypreos is really blatant though

The Leafs report podcast with Mirtle and Siegel after Dubas was fired was also laughable.

Embarrassing stuff from these media members
What is his agenda?

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

Help me.

I don't mind Kypper, and they have a decent show with Bourne and MacKee, they don't take themselves too seriously. Kyp always says that they say stupid shit during a 2 hour show all the time.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Kypers takes can be cringe worthy , he refuses to ever say anything negative about Marner but he does seem connected. He was the first to bring up ROR didn’t love his time being a leaf and then CJ backed it up . He was the first to mention GIO may be retiring and the first to mention Doan may be headed to the Leafs.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
What is his agenda?
Very pro marner and anti matthews during the playoffs, very anti dubas after the season to name a couple. He would bend over backwards to try and avoid talking bad about Marner lol

Kypers takes can be cringe worthy , he refuses to ever say anything negative about Marner but he does seem connected. He was the first to bring up ROR didn’t love his time being a leaf and then CJ backed it up . He was the first to mention GIO may be retiring and the first to mention Doan may be headed to the Leafs.
Yeah, he definitely has inside knowledge

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You are right. Absolutely no question. And I don't consume his content. I actually used to like him, back when he first started around 08. Angry Leaf fan... totally relatable. If he kept it strictly Leafs with his views, rather than become an insufferable political commentator every now then, I'd probably still like him. Couple that with his show, in conjunction with Sportsnet, TSN, and HNIC, all jumping aboard the gambling money train I realized the guy was a complete sell out.

I also think he polarizes the team. You think him or Sid Sexiero for that matter would have the balls to say what they say on their soap boxes to the players faces? Gimme a break.

well Steve actually with sportsnet sat down with players every year to start the season so yes, and he's talked about wanting to ask specific questions but NHL media relations/sportsnet media relations or the player agent says no in the pre-production meetings.

Sid may be the biggest sellout/media troll ever.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Very pro marner and anti matthews during the playoffs, very anti dubas after the season to name a couple. He would bend over backwards to try and avoid talking bad about Marner lol

Yeah, he definitely has inside knowledge
If I had to say, I think Kyper thinks both players are terrible playoff performers, but at least Marner plays on the PK. Matthews is really good at ….well he‘s good at walking into the arena promoting/wearing his funny clothes and accessories.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I usually mute broadcast of the leafs ....unless I can sync Joe"s feed.

I find the TO media pathetic. All of them really. Its all just opinions like we have. They probably dont even watch all the games like us die hard fans do.

Toronto media is all about clicks and to stir the pot. They feed the haters egos in all honesty.
Half the time they spew jibberish and fans eat it up like its gospel. Its like the American listening to fox news about Trump. Say it enough ....say it with conviction and people will just believe without finding out facts for themselves.

Thats how I view TO media. Still hoping Kessel wears a hotdog costume to Toronto holding the cup. It will be his 3rd cup hopefully. Just to rub it in the Toronto media who constantly fabricated stuff to run him out of town.

Also....I’m really hoping our new GM runs a tight lipped organization like Dubas did. Nothing leaked from him and it was great seeing the mediots scramble for inside information. Usually they just spew crap and hide behind "my sources"

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
well Steve actually with sportsnet sat down with players every year to start the season so yes, and he's talked about wanting to ask specific questions but NHL media relations/sportsnet media relations or the player agent says no in the pre-production meetings.

Sid may be the biggest sellout/media troll ever.
I definitely didn't know that, respects for that for him.

Also yes Sid is definitely the main guy for clicks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad