Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
So now we're going to have to listen to ESPN sports radio with zero hockey? We're not the f***ing united states. This is a different country. f***s sakes.
Reminiscent of the 90s when the Fan 1430/590 had the Fabulous Sports Blob...I mean Babe...on during prime hours to talk about all sports other than hockey. And the rare moment she did, all she'd do was shit on the sport. :rolleyes:

Thank goodness that my sports radio listening days came to an end the moment I started working from home due to the pandemic. As soon as Bob McCown was let go, there was nothing of substance for me to bother listening to (yes, that includes Overdrive).

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Selling out so much local coverage of sports is shortsighted and wrong. The Athletic, Bell, bad week for sports media. God knows no high level executive took a pay cut.

Quality has really gone downhill too though.

Maybe it was always bad and I just started to know enough to start calling out their BS, but most of these people know less than an average HF poster and they get paid ridiculous amounts of money to spew it out. And I am talking about probably 90% of what is out there. Other than whatever connections they might have, they may as well just be a random Twitter troll who spent slightly more time trying to make it sound convincing/coherent.

Anyone worth their salt as a journalist or in media is probably being left untouched. Plus probably a few others that can still generate hype/interest regardless. These companies probably just realized that their filler wasn't making them money anymore when people (and especially young people) are turning to other mediums.

There is also the pandemic effect. More people were probably absorbing their content, and they needed more people to make it. Now that that wave is over, they need to go back to their regular numbers. Same thing happened in Tech (especially with companies that rely on ad-revenue like Meta and Twitter), but I can guarantee you that anyone working in Tech who was worth their money in the first place is having no trouble finding an equally good, if not better, job. Same will likely go for anyone good laid off here.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Dear Mr. Tanenbaum

You wrote a letter to the fans once. You said a lot of nice things in that letter. You apologized for the horrible loser hockey team you forced the "greatest fan base in the world" to watch for all those years.

Then you promised to deliver a team we all could be "proud" of.

It's been a long time since you wrote that letter Mr. Tanenbaum. I was just wondering if you planned on keeping that promise? Or are you a low life hypocrite turd just like my dear old man was?

You're either a liar or a failure Tanenbaum. Which one is it? There is no other choice.

Either way you're still a loser.

As a fan, someone that actually CARES about the team, I implore you to please sell to somebody that actually wants to win a Stanley Cup. Because, I'm sorry, but you've given fans no indication that is your motivation here. Broken promises, lowered expectations, and shattered dreams are the hallmark of a deadbeat dad and disgraced hockey team owner.

Another snapshot in the big book of good memories provided by Larry Tanenbaum and the Toronto Maple Leafs, May 12th, 2023.

Thanks for all the good times Larry.

Get bent, loser.

Sincerely yours,

A Long Time Fan
Speaking of bent...

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Thank goodness Bell cares so much about mental health!

Wonder what even more shady shit they would pull if they didnt!

:sarcasm:

I get we should be mad at Bell, shitty of them to terminate so many good people, but let's be real, how many of us have been listening to Leafs Lunch? It's got a small base, the quality of the show has gone way downhill. If people wanted to save the show they should have tuned it and kept the ratings up. I rather listen to Mike DeStefano on locked up leafs than Leafs Lunch.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I get we should be mad at Bell, shitty of them to terminate so many good people, but let's be real, how many of us have been listening to Leafs Lunch? It's got a small base, the quality of the show has gone way downhill. If people wanted to save the show they should have tuned it and kept the ratings up. I rather listen to Mike DeStefano on locked up leafs than Leafs Lunch.
I mean its not like this is the first time they've done this.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
for sure, but what are they to do? Keep a show that has tanking ratings going? I guess they could have tried to bring people in to save it.
They charge the highest rates in the world for Internet, Phone and TV. They don't seem very smart if theyre losing money.

And its how they go about doing stuff as well. No warning, you just show up one day and youre fired and your entire world has just changed.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
That leave’s Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal left. Likely due to listeners and/or profitability. Ottawa also went to ESPN radio 12-4 today. but they do that every summer, after hockey over and for vacations. Not sure about Montreal today.
New ownership also prolly played a part in lets keep them in. Even though I know there was layoffs there too.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So now we're going to have to listen to ESPN sports radio with zero hockey? We're not the f***ing united states. This is a different country. f***s sakes.
It’s a bunch of miserable people blabbing about football 24/7. If you want to suffer for a couple of hours of ear bleeding prattle, turn on Paul Finebaum.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

EGL22

Mar 20, 2018
They charge the highest rates in the world for Internet, Phone and TV. They don't seem very smart if theyre losing money.

And its how they go about doing stuff as well. No warning, you just show up one day and youre fired and your entire world has just changed.
I had a family member work for Bell in customer service.
The stories she told were mind boggling as to how stupid and incompetent they were.
She had enough and left after 6 months.

Recently know 2 friends who had Bell packages and it got so bad they gladly paid the service fees to cancel the contract and change to another provider.

Take into account how bad radio and tv has become and how the NHL shows have gone downhill it appears Bells self destruct is happening in every way possible.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
1686777925912.jpeg

Bring back am640 The Hog. Was great listening to hair bands driving to school. I think it was 1991….and sports in Toronto was going to get so good.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Bryan Hayes is absent from Overdrive today. They are playing their "Role Play Level of Concern" Bit.....

Just addressed twitter's Level of Concern with the layoffs and Hayes being absent. lol well played.

terrible show - good news

It has it's moments. I do like shows sometimes that aren't just former pro athletes who reference their career constantly or the "insiders" that think they are better than everyone else. Nice to have actual fans perspectives.

Reactions: seventieslord
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Bryan Hayes is absent from Overdrive today. They are playing their "Role Play Level of Concern" Bit.....

Just addressed twitter's Level of Concern with the layoffs and Hayes being absent. lol well played.

It has it's moments. I do like shows sometimes that aren't just former pro athletes who reference their career constantly or the "insiders" that think they are better than everyone else. Nice to have actual fans perspectives.
Aaron Korolnek’s joke at the beginning of that segment was gutless. That guy is so bad at radio. I have no idea how he is there.

Odog probably summed it up best. He basically said if he says his true thoughts he would be next.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Dear Mr. Tanenbaum

You wrote a letter to the fans once. You said a lot of nice things in that letter. You apologized for the horrible loser hockey team you forced the "greatest fan base in the world" to watch for all those years.

Then you promised to deliver a team we all could be "proud" of.

It's been a long time since you wrote that letter Mr. Tanenbaum. I was just wondering if you planned on keeping that promise? Or are you a low life hypocrite turd just like my dear old man was?

You're either a liar or a failure Tanenbaum. Which one is it? There is no other choice.

Either way you're still a loser.

As a fan, someone that actually CARES about the team, I implore you to please sell to somebody that actually wants to win a Stanley Cup. Because, I'm sorry, but you've given fans no indication that is your motivation here. Broken promises, lowered expectations, and shattered dreams are the hallmark of a deadbeat dad and disgraced hockey team owner.

Another snapshot in the big book of good memories provided by Larry Tanenbaum and the Toronto Maple Leafs, May 12th, 2023.

Thanks for all the good times Larry.

Get bent, loser.

Sincerely yours,

A Long Time Fan

Cringe.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
M
View attachment 718040

Bring back am640 The Hog. Was great listening to hair bands driving to school. I think it was 1991….and sports in Toronto was going to get so good.
They should bring back AM640 when it was called MOJO ("radio for men"). That station was insane. There was a show called "Cloak and Dagger" where they provided detailed investigations/theories of political assassinations and other fishy things happening in the early 2000s. It was mind-boggling.

Reactions: the squared circle

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
M

They should bring back AM640 when it was called MOJO ("radio for men"). That station was insane. There was a show called "Cloak and Dagger" where they provided detailed investigations/theories of political assassinations and other fishy things happening in the early 2000s. It was mind-boggling.

They still exist but on a TV station in the US.

• Wow
Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad