Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Do you prefer a Hurricane model:

Win a cup, make a final, then spend 18 years in obscurity.

Or be a team that for 7 consecutive years is improving and breaking franchise records, with players doing things never before done in the 106 year history of the franchise?

Always with the chance to win given any number or small changes to their fortune or the fortune of their opponents.
I know this isn't my debate, but I have to wade in on this. Only because it baffles me whenever I see this.

Yes, absolutely, give me the Hurricanes model that sees a Cup win over San Jose consistency every day of the week. I'd sell my soul to see the Leafs hoist the Cup. I could therefore live with two decades of bad hockey surrounding it. Heck, we've lived through it already, minus the Cup win.

Last edited:

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Overdrive was tops for me for a long, long time… And they are still my #2 go-to

But Kipper and Bourne became my #1 this past season. Kipper has a very good and mature brain for dissecting Hockey news, has a very good and insightful commentary and leads conversations in the right direction with good thoughts.

Overdrive is better for humor, but sometimes devolves into nonsense and once in a while, you just really want to delve into topics more deeply. If you have a brain for it - to each his own.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Overdrive was tops for me for a long, long time… And they are still my #2 go-to

But Kipper and Bourne became my #1 this past season. Kipper has a very good and mature brain for dissecting Hockey news, has a very good and insightful commentary and leads conversations in the right direction with good thoughts.

Overdrive is better for humor, but sometimes devolves into nonsense and once in a while, you just really want to delve into topics more deeply. If you have a brain for it - to each his own.
Overdrive is still my favorite but it loses me when they get into golf talk. When they talk hockey they're the best in the biz.

Kipper and Bourne are growing on me recently cause it's 100% hockey and Kipper has had it with the Leaf core and I love hearing the rants.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Overdrive is still my favorite but it loses me when they get into golf talk. When they talk hockey they're the best in the biz.

Kipper and Bourne are growing on me recently cause it's 100% hockey and Kipper has had it with the Leaf core and I love hearing the rants.

O'Neill has a weird obsession with Brian's golf game and will take every opportunity he gets to steer the conversation in that direction.

I get they're fans of the sport but at the end of the day I don't think anyone tunes into Overdrive to hear the panel's golf analysis or their "picks" for the upcoming PGA tour. Leave those segments for the experts in the game who call into the show.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I still like McCown and Shannon, although I’ve noticed that Bobcat is going down hill a little in his ability to articulate his thoughts. He was the gold standard for sports radio in Canada and I’d argue the US as well.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Bell just rolled out ultra-high speed to consumers in parts of Toronto, which would be great except they charge 3x times as much as small providers who've already been doing it for years.

And they wonder why their profits are disappearing? You can only live (i.e. charge huge premiums) on your brand name for so long.

I get they're fans of the sport but at the end of the day I don't think anyone tunes into Overdrive to hear the panel's golf analysis or their "picks" for the upcoming PGA tour. Leave those segments for the experts in the game who call into the show.

When they were live on the Canadian Open a week or so ago I did not watch those few days. Bad enough they talk golf endlessly on their regular show, but when they're live at an actual golf tournament? A man can only take so much.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
When they were live on the Canadian Open a week or so ago I did not watch those few days. Bad enough they talk golf endlessly on their regular show, but when they're live at an actual golf tournament? A man can only take so much.

They make the PGA Tour seem like it's one of the Big North American sports. Golf is fun to play but it's not that great to watch other than the majors. But they still talk about their own game or weekly Tour more than Baseball, Basketball, CFL, NFL (offseason), Soccer, Tennis Majors.

It's really shining a light on just how ignorant they are about anything other than hockey. Golf is the only other thing they know (2 of the 3) to sound intelligent about.

I know it was in Montreal. But the Canadian Grand Prix was last week and I don't think they even mentioned it was happening. I bet globally Lance Stroll is more famous than Connor McDavid.

Reactions: torontoblood

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
They make the PGA Tour seem like it's one of the Big North American sports. Golf is fun to play but it's not that great to watch other than the majors. But they still talk about their own game or weekly Tour more than Baseball, Basketball, CFL, NFL (offseason), Soccer, Tennis Majors.

It's really shining a light on just how ignorant they are about anything other than hockey. Golf is the only other thing they know (2 of the 3) to sound intelligent about.

I know it was in Montreal. But the Canadian Grand Prix was last week and I don't think they even mentioned it was happening. I bet globally Lance Stroll is more famous than Connor McDavid.

Can I ask you to express what bearing the rest of the world has on Toronto sports talk radio?

The Grand Prix, while sought after in Europe, hasn't had much pull in North America since the Villeneuve days.
The awful changes to the rules have made the sport even less appealing to people like me, and having the driver who is head and shoulders above everyone else be such an unmitigated asshole doesn't help either.

Golf is not my thing, but I get that more people will be mildly interested in golf than F!.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Can I ask you to express what bearing the rest of the world has on Toronto sports talk radio?

The Grand Prix, while sought after in Europe, hasn't had much pull in North America since the Villeneuve days.
The awful changes to the rules have made the sport even less appealing to people like me, and having the driver who is head and shoulders above everyone else be such an unmitigated asshole doesn't help either.

Golf is not my thing, but I get that more people will be mildly interested in golf than F!.
F1 every day over golf for me. Course I travel to see races, not just F1.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

What I mean is think about the amount of attention the Canadian Open Golf got vs the Canadian Grand Prix by Overdrive. Both extremely popular individual sports with one stop in Canada per year.

I'm fine with them ignoring the other 21 F1 stops I get that. but when the Canadian one rolls around i would have expected something. It is a sports show right? and F1 is a TSN thing too.

It's really reinforcing how they only care about 2 sports. It's getting worse and worse too.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
What I mean is think about the amount of attention the Canadian Open Golf got vs the Canadian Grand Prix by Overdrive. Both extremely popular individual sports with one stop in Canada per year.

I'm fine with them ignoring the other 21 F1 stops I get that. but when the Canadian one rolls around i would have expected something. It is a sports show right? and F1 is a TSN thing too.

It's really reinforcing how they only care about 2 sports. It's getting worse and worse too.
They do also have a fair amount of Football talk in season and baseball but O-Dog and Jaimie both know absolutely nothing about baseball lol

torontoblood

Proud Member of Leafs Nation
May 27, 2021
They do also have a fair amount of Football talk in season and baseball but O-Dog and Jaimie both know absolutely nothing about baseball lol
As the host, Hayes is the most versatile of the three. While he’s obviously a hockey first guy, he can hold his own when discussing other sports. Obviously not expert level but he can talk about other sports without looking like an uneducated/uninformed fool. He stays within his limits and doesn’t try to be the smartest of the room.

O’Dog and noodles are puckheads through and through. Outside hockey, they have nothing insightful to say. I just want these two to stick to hockey talk exclusively. Ultimately overdrive at its core is a pure hockey show, i want to hear about leafs talk during that segment m, not other sports.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Yeah but I'm told the toronto media is bias and positive for Toronto.

Its insane the garbage our media pumps out. They love seeing the team fail.

They were positively giddy when we went down 0-3 and lost 1-4 in the second round. Allowed them to dust off the articles they had prepped in case we lost in round 1 again.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think Noodles (shockingly) had the best point. In certain places in the US it will be Messi and not even close, and certain place in the US it will be Brady and not even close.

The Coasts + Southern Border: Messi
The Flyover States: Brady
I’ve heard of Messi, but I have never knowingly seen an image of him in my life, so I wouldn’t know hime if he walked into my house.

I wouldnt be surprised if more people in middle America recognized Wayne over Messi.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Great in theory, he does something significant to himself or his game drops off because of a long term problem those extra years of a high AAV don't come back
Good point, but he likely has enough money and would be at least guaranteed the next contract.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Good point, but he likely has enough money and would be at least guaranteed the next contract.
Depends on how bad the injury is, his wrists continue to cause him trouble he's going to be in tough to get that 8 year deal 3 years from now

I know he's already made about 60M but we could be talking about an 100M contract over 8 years here, that's a lot of cheddar to put at risk

Reactions: OddyOh and TheShape

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Depends on how bad the injury is, his wrists continue to cause him trouble he's going to be in tough to get that 8 year deal 3 years from now

I know he's already made about 60M but we could be talking about an 100M contract over 8 years here, that's a lot of cheddar to put at risk
Most players would do that and not worry about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad