Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

Forecheck1

May 19, 2023
Hayes needs to get over himself ... He acted like a baby when Burkie dished him ...

He is NOT a NHL Alumnus and not part of the club ... marginal JRB player ... went to media school and made the most of the connections his Father made in the media industry .... Like his media talent but NOT part of the NHL ole boys club ... Get over it Hayes

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The media in Toronto have bent over backwards to insulate this management team.

They have a conflict of interest. So have been relegated to nothing more than pom pom waving cheerleaders. Censored and sanitized propagandists.

Not much else.

If any other team with a fan base as rabid as this one went as long as the Leafs did without any success, you can be sure the media would be up their butts. This, to me, is the major problem in Toronto. The two main sports media companies are in collusion.

Brothers in arms.

Having the media on the side of the team takes away any public criticism that otherwise would invoke change.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Hayes needs to get over himself ... He acted like a baby when Burkie dished him ...

He is NOT a NHL Alumnus and not part of the club ... marginal JRB player ... went to media school and made the most of the connections his Father made in the media industry .... Like his media talent but NOT part of the NHL ole boys club ... Get over it Hayes

I don't think it bothers him that much. He just knows it's a good bit..... To be fair, he did play a year in the OHL, that's better than 99.9% of hockey players from his age group.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010

I think Hayes was more upset with Burke not saying “bye” to him at the end of the interview. So funny

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Has Siegel published or said anything since that embarrassing "we're in mourning" article?

Siegel, no. But his crony Mirtle posted this gem yesterday:

That wasn't his opinion. He was just posting the reaction of the people in office. If anything be upset that the people in our team are that upset over one person leaving

He published an article that spoke to his agenda. Not saying that is wrong, that is what most media types do, but he knew who to speak to to build out that agenda and propagate his perspective.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The Athletic is going to to go from unprofitable to unprofitable and irrelevant now.

No Dubas feeding info now and a bunch of nerds with crap takes in Siegal and Mirtle? Kloke is alright but yea that thing is cooked and even at a $1 month, it's blog quality.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The Athletic is going to to go from unprofitable to unprofitable and irrelevant now.

No Dubas feeding info now and a bunch of nerds with crap takes in Siegal and Mirtle? Kloke is alright but yea that thing is cooked and even at a $1 month, it's blog quality.

It's under the New York Times banner now so I doubt the Athletic is going anywhere any time soon

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

The only time I've ever felt bad about losing money is when I forgot to cancel my Athletic subscription autorenewal.

There was a time when they went heavy into analytics and had guys like Ian Tulloch write for them, but now that it's Siegel and Mirtle who I don't care about, it's really pointless to subscribe as a leafs fan.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

IMG_5341-1-1024x683.jpeg

Canadian hockey personality Steve “Dangle” Glynn is leaving Sportsnet when the Stanley Cup playoffs conclude later this month, walking away from a legacy media career he once coveted to focus full-time on SDPN Inc., the independent digital competitor he helped launch.

He was planning to make the official announcement in a YouTube video released on Wednesday, days after long-time friend and SDPN co-founder Adam Wylde revealed he was leaving his full-time job as co-host of the morning show at 99.9 Virgin Radio to focus on their new company.

“I’ve really enjoyed working with so many incredible people and making stuff I’m so proud of,” Glynn said on Tuesday. “I’m not excited to leave Sportsnet as much as I am thrilled to continue to build what we’ve created with SDPN.”

Glynn, Wylde and Jesse Blake own the company, which incorporated three years ago and moved into a downtown Toronto office earlier this year. They have four full-time employees and 20 contractors who help create more than a dozen digital sports programs.

“Jesse and Adam have definitely been pulling more than their weight,” said Glynn. “And I want to help in the running of the company, as well as with content creation.”

He leaves Sportsnet after nine hockey seasons. The network had deployed Glynn on a number of platforms over the years, most recently serving as a central figure on Sportsnet’s YouTube channel, as the host and star of watch-along streams during NHL games.

“For me personally, I think it would have been wrong to leave in the middle of the season,” said Glynn. “I committed to doing the season. I wanted to do the season. I wanted to finish out the season.”

In his 2019 memoir, “This Team Is Ruining My Life (But I Love Them),” Glynn writes about the long road he took to land work in Canadian sports television. He once worked as an intern for Sportsnet 590 The Fan, helping guide guests into the studio from the lobby.

Meanwhile, he was growing his own audience independent of the mainstream. Glynn began recording videos for YouTube in 2007, gaining notoriety for his animated reactions to the Maple Leafs, the team he would later allege was ruining his life.
(The book became a best-seller in Canada.)

“I’ve been on YouTube long enough to have received a paper cheque,” said Glynn. “Stuff has changed. Now, you can basically create an entire business and hire people using a website you don’t even have to pay to use."

“There’s a lot of things about the future that could use improving, but that’s one of them that hasn’t worked out so bad.”

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto

IMG_5341-1-1024x683.jpeg

Canadian hockey personality Steve “Dangle” Glynn is leaving Sportsnet when the Stanley Cup playoffs conclude later this month, walking away from a legacy media career he once coveted to focus full-time on SDPN Inc., the independent digital competitor he helped launch.

He was planning to make the official announcement in a YouTube video released on Wednesday, days after long-time friend and SDPN co-founder Adam Wylde revealed he was leaving his full-time job as co-host of the morning show at 99.9 Virgin Radio to focus on their new company.

“I’ve really enjoyed working with so many incredible people and making stuff I’m so proud of,” Glynn said on Tuesday. “I’m not excited to leave Sportsnet as much as I am thrilled to continue to build what we’ve created with SDPN.”

Glynn, Wylde and Jesse Blake own the company, which incorporated three years ago and moved into a downtown Toronto office earlier this year. They have four full-time employees and 20 contractors who help create more than a dozen digital sports programs.

“Jesse and Adam have definitely been pulling more than their weight,” said Glynn. “And I want to help in the running of the company, as well as with content creation.”

He leaves Sportsnet after nine hockey seasons. The network had deployed Glynn on a number of platforms over the years, most recently serving as a central figure on Sportsnet’s YouTube channel, as the host and star of watch-along streams during NHL games.

“For me personally, I think it would have been wrong to leave in the middle of the season,” said Glynn. “I committed to doing the season. I wanted to do the season. I wanted to finish out the season.”

In his 2019 memoir, “This Team Is Ruining My Life (But I Love Them),” Glynn writes about the long road he took to land work in Canadian sports television. He once worked as an intern for Sportsnet 590 The Fan, helping guide guests into the studio from the lobby.

Meanwhile, he was growing his own audience independent of the mainstream. Glynn began recording videos for YouTube in 2007, gaining notoriety for his animated reactions to the Maple Leafs, the team he would later allege was ruining his life.
(The book became a best-seller in Canada.)

“I’ve been on YouTube long enough to have received a paper cheque,” said Glynn. “Stuff has changed. Now, you can basically create an entire business and hire people using a website you don’t even have to pay to use."

“There’s a lot of things about the future that could use improving, but that’s one of them that hasn’t worked out so bad.”

He obviously resonates with a demographic. Personally while I do enjoy his "quiet" takes I am not a fan of the man child screaming rage bit.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Not a fan of him at all. Hope his podcast crashes and burns and he becomes a Walmart greeter.
I don't understand this kind of view lol if you don't like him just don't consume his content. What is the point in hoping for him to fail? He doesn't seem like a bad person or anything.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad