Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Imagine he showed up on HNIC and Lex Luger'd it?

Odd they let contracts lapse mid-season - though likely a year-end tax thing. IIRC, Cuthbert moved over to SNET mid-season a couple years back.
May is such a bizarre timeline, I could see Jan 1 or even June 1 for NHL panelist, but May doesnt make any sense

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

When the team is away, they call the play from television monitors inside Sportsnet or TSN, depending on which radio station has the game that night.

“It may be a new normal in some markets, but it isn’t normal,” said Nelson Millman, a retired program director at Sportsnet 590 The Fan. “And honestly, it’s not right.”

He estimated the cost of sending a crew to Tampa for a series would be around $10,000, which was not a “prohibitive” price for either radio station. Sportsnet is owned by Rogers Communications Inc., while TSN 1050 is owned by Bell, Canada’s other telecommunications giant.

“Can you imagine if Tom (Cheek) and Jerry (Howarth) had been sitting in Toronto doing the ’92 World Series from Atlanta?” Millman said with a laugh. “I’ve been out of the business for a long time, and I still get frustrated by it. … Beyond the money, I don’t understand the decision.”

When he oversaw operations at The Fan, Millman said a Leafs playoff run would generate content to carry the station “24/7,” and that having the play-by-play voice and colour analyst on-site allowed for guest appearances across multiple shows through the day.

“When the Leafs go to the playoffs, or the Jays go to the playoffs — or any home team goes to the playoffs — the fans can’t see enough, read enough or hear enough,” he said. “That’s what happens as momentum builds.”

Calling games remotely, sometimes known as “off tube,” is an old concept that became more widely used during the pandemic, when restrictions limited travel. There were health and safety concerns, as well as issues hopscotching international borders.

It was also, notably, a cost savings for the broadcasters.

The trend has persisted in Toronto, and not only with coverage of the Maple Leafs. Sportsnet has also kept Blue Jays radio play-by-play voice Ben Wagner at home when the team is on the road, leading to an awkward stretch of 10 minutes during a game earlier this month.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Screenshot_20230501_174422_Twitter.jpg

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

When the team is away, they call the play from television monitors inside Sportsnet or TSN, depending on which radio station has the game that night.

“It may be a new normal in some markets, but it isn’t normal,” said Nelson Millman, a retired program director at Sportsnet 590 The Fan. “And honestly, it’s not right.”

He estimated the cost of sending a crew to Tampa for a series would be around $10,000, which was not a “prohibitive” price for either radio station. Sportsnet is owned by Rogers Communications Inc., while TSN 1050 is owned by Bell, Canada’s other telecommunications giant.

“Can you imagine if Tom (Cheek) and Jerry (Howarth) had been sitting in Toronto doing the ’92 World Series from Atlanta?” Millman said with a laugh. “I’ve been out of the business for a long time, and I still get frustrated by it. … Beyond the money, I don’t understand the decision.”

When he oversaw operations at The Fan, Millman said a Leafs playoff run would generate content to carry the station “24/7,” and that having the play-by-play voice and colour analyst on-site allowed for guest appearances across multiple shows through the day.

“When the Leafs go to the playoffs, or the Jays go to the playoffs — or any home team goes to the playoffs — the fans can’t see enough, read enough or hear enough,” he said. “That’s what happens as momentum builds.”

Calling games remotely, sometimes known as “off tube,” is an old concept that became more widely used during the pandemic, when restrictions limited travel. There were health and safety concerns, as well as issues hopscotching international borders.

It was also, notably, a cost savings for the broadcasters.

The trend has persisted in Toronto, and not only with coverage of the Maple Leafs. Sportsnet has also kept Blue Jays radio play-by-play voice Ben Wagner at home when the team is on the road, leading to an awkward stretch of 10 minutes during a game earlier this month.
Do other Canadian teams do this?
I know the Sens TSN radio guys travel, what about the other teams?
Kinda sucks for Bowen and Ralphy calling off a monitor. Nice they get to go now though.

Too bad Noodles wasn’t on a break instead of Odog, but I get that won’t happen with his wife as the boss.

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
O'Neill just referenced in the context of PGA picks and the Canadian Open. "O says he's not playing the pro-am".

So at any rate, his name isn't black listed.
A subtle reference means hes not gone imo.

Fired? We would know.

Anything else? Probably O’s decision.

Must be flattering to be trending when missing, even more so if its contract related lol.

• Haha
Reactions: ihadtochangethename

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
I hate when companies just allow hosts to disappear without addressing it.

Where is The O'Dog?

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003

Retired NHL forward Jeff O’Neill is “on leave” from his duties at TSN 1050 radio, a Bell Media spokesperson told The Athletic. O’Neill, a co-host of the afternoon drive program “OverDrive,” missed several shows last week and he was not on the air when it returned on Monday. Bryan Hayes and Jamie McLennan were joined on the air by former NHL defenceman Frank Corrado.

No further details were provided. Attempts to reach O’Neill were unsuccessful. His absence was not addressed as the show began on Monday.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
What a time to not be on air. First Leafs series win in ages and something is keeping him from talking about it. I hope it's as simple as a contract dispute and not something health related.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
What the f*** does "on leave" mean? Fired? Is he done?
Could be personal life stuff. Could be health. Could be substance abuse. All stuff that really isn’t any of our business so I wouldn’t expect much more detail than that.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Could be personal life stuff. Could be health. Could be substance abuse. All stuff that really isn’t any of our business so I wouldn’t expect much more detail than that.
The fact they said “leave” vs “personal leave” is telling. How hard would it be to start the show saying odog is a on a leave please respect his privacy ?

BTP

Apr 28, 2013

"On Leave" means he's away from work - for whatever reason - but is still with the company.

I see, sucks. Was tuning in today to hear his opinions. Dude has personality. Best part of OD.

Best of luck to him and hope he's back soon.

Reactions: Kelly

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Weird. He went off air when the Leafs went 3-1 in the series and looked like they were going to advance. The last time I saw him have a weird meltdown (assuming this is something like that) was when Toronto got the first overall pick for Matthews. Almost got into a fistfight with Hayes on air.

Toronto success -> O'Dog meltdown.

1amtvd.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: WildWolfdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad