Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Can anyone explain to me what happened to Ken Reid and Evanka Osmak on Sportsnet? I was used to seeing them all the time as part of my routine and I not a fan of their replacements. Did they like get demoted to just doing brief after game segments? Did Ken Reid's humour rub a higher up the wrong way? He could be an annoying Jay Onrait clone sometimes but he grew on me and I liked them as the regular Sportsnet Connected hosts. Just curious if this is a thing.
Not sure what their schedule is, but they were on last night and at least one other night earlier this week. They are still around and as goofy as ever.

Edit: They are on tonight. So seems they are on every weeknight...

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Last edited:
Reactions: MilkofthePoppy

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
When I was younger, I stole cable from Rogers.

Cable was expensive. Hockey is vital for life. So I did what every other teenage kid living in his parents basement did - I spliced the line.

I always wondered what they could do to get me back.

They BOUGHT the team.

These corporate elitist stuffed shirts with their hoity-toity holier than thou attitudes don't care two figs about the team itself. They're only interested in making money. Leafs sells and we're buying. Whether the team wins or not is of no concern so long as the viewership numbers are good.

Content is content.

Since Dubas took over the team has stagnated. The prospects are worse and draft cupboard bare. They STILL haven't won a playoff round. Six straight years these chokers have gone out in the first round.

It doesn't even sound real.

Like it's stranger than fiction. If someone told you six years ago the team would be in this situation right now you would think they were making it up. Yet it actually really happened.

And I KNOW it's payback for stealing cable when I was a kid.

Stealing cable was wrong.

Stealing money selling hopes and dreams to a desperate fan base is even moreso.

"Flash back to six years ago"

How about flashing back to the days when Dion Phaneuf was our f'n captain and Kessel was our best scorer?

I need to flash back way harder than that, no LSD needed, to even imagine having really awesome players on the Leafs.

You must have conked out for a good number of years if you were splicing cable as a kid and missed the dark years post 2003?

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
@colchar

To be honest, it's not as much as you might think.

Compare Raptors and Jays salaries and income to the Leafs.

They dwarf the Leafs.

I hate to say it, but hockey just isn't a very popular sport outside Canada and Russian and a few other cold European countries.

Sure, a couple more playoffs games might add a few million to the deep pockets of Rogers & Bell.

But that's chump change compared to the other major sports.

Why does it matter?

If it's popular here why would it matter if someone else likes it?

the NHL is popular enough to exist and excel where we live. That's enough.

Watch what happens in our communities when the weather warms up and the play-offs get going.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It’s common knowledge organizations get bought/sold . This has been going on for years .
Their non profit organizations, being sold for cash deals in the millions it says,

They will lose their non profit status if proven, and need to pay taxes on it. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Reactions: Roadhog

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Their non profit organizations, being sold for cash deals in the millions it says,

They will lose their non profit status if proven, and need to pay taxes on it. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
especially since one of our current Leafs recently took over part control of the GTHL's most profitable organization

edit - i would also take the $$$ thrown around in this article with a very large grain of salt

Last edited:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Why does it matter?

If it's popular here why would it matter if someone else likes it?

the NHL is popular enough to exist and excel where we live. That's enough.

Watch what happens in our communities when the weather warms up and the play-offs get going.
Because I was replying to another poster that said he believed Rogers and Bell would like to see the extra money from playoffs revenue.

My point was that they probably don't care about the extra playoffs revenue because how small a market hockey is compared to the other major sports.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Because I was replying to another poster that said he believed Rogers and Bell would like to see the extra money from playoffs revenue.

My point was that they probably don't care about the extra playoffs revenue because how small a market hockey is compared to the other major sports.
Also 35% of all playoff revenue is used for revenue sharing.

Felix the Cat Potvin

Jun 18, 2022
Anyone else sick of the media pandering and absurd protection of this team? I guess they wrote so many Dubas is a genius pieces that they are embarrassed to now harp on the team.

Luke Fox is a big one:

"Frustrating as it might be for the ticket-buying public who invest in a sluggish effort, these Leafs now know when to slam the gas and when to idle the engine for the big race."

"It’s no secret they’ve hit cruise control, and with little reason to be urgent until mid-April, it would be hard to blame them."

Are you kidding me?

Reactions: hockeywiz542

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Anyone else sick of the media pandering and absurd protection of this team? I guess they wrote so many Dubas is a genius pieces that they are embarrassed to now harp on the team.

Luke Fox is a big one:

"Frustrating as it might be for the ticket-buying public who invest in a sluggish effort, these Leafs now know when to slam the gas and when to idle the engine for the big race."

"It’s no secret they’ve hit cruise control, and with little reason to be urgent until mid-April, it would be hard to blame them."

Are you kidding me?
I no longer put much, if any, stock into what the media says about the team. Particularly since the two big media enterprises each hold a stake in the team, and can pretty dictate the narrative. Same thing happens with the Jays.

Granted, I have always thought that there has hardly ever been objective journalism of the team(s) in this city. It's either they are constantly positive that it's sickening (ie. Mike Wilner), to always negative where you question how miserable their lives are (ie. Steve Simmons and Damien Cox).

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Hayes and Noodles were at the Raptors game Courtside yesterday. Hayes had an absolutely epic camera look......

1680121394489.png

willmma

Jan 5, 2017

Luke Fox is a big one:

Are you kidding me?

So this is pandering and absurd protection?

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Our boi O-Dog made the Hurricanes 25th anniversary team, Overdrive talking about it. O absolutely hates the text they wrote
25th Anniversary Capsule: Jeff O'Neill

An elite goal-scorer who was also a loose cannon off the ice -- and has since pivoted neatly into sports radio in his hometown of Toronto -- O'Neill was more than just a shooter, even if his booming right shot accounted for a lot of Ron Francis assists. In 2001, he was the only player in the NHL to lead his team in goals and hits, and that 41-goal season (in the heart of the Dead Puck Era) is still the second-best since the team moved south.

Not sure if this was a recent release but timing is kind of weird. Would have thought it was an opening day thing like the Leafs did

Last edited:

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
possibly the biggest game this franchise has had in the last 20 years and they’re going to put it on 680 News? That’s weird

What could possibly be more important for the fan 590 or TSN 1050 than Game 7 ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad