Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
They try their hardest not to be the "homers" which was and continues to be a chronic complaint around the rest of Canada that both TSN and SN were nothing but "Leaf casts!" However those same people weren't able to acknowledge that the viewer and listenership is concentrated in the Golden Horseshoe which happens to be largely Leaf-centric. The advertising dollars are always going to dictate what comes over the airwaves, and if a 1 minute block only has 2000 listeners and 800 viewers when "talkin Oilers" is on and the same 1 minute block has a 12,000/6,000 split when talkin Leafs is happening, guess where most of the money goes?

It's not rocket science, but the truth is that networks are afraid of labels and so tone down the positive Leafiness in their broadcasts and do a little more of negative Leafiness. Now the other part of the equation is when the Leafs are crappin the bed and the local Leafs media tells the truth and reports accurately, LeaFlanders treat it like a Justin Holl turnover, in that they lose their collective minds and immediately bring out the "Leaf Hater" badges for those media people who would dare stray from the fold.
Yes I agree, pie in the sky but I’d much prefer someone to be honest and consistent at all times. Never going to happen, try to please everyone. Please no one, the pandering on all sides is nauseating. I used to listen to sports talk all day in the background from many Canadian cities but the lack of any real intelligent discourse and debate has given away to silly homerism and even more ridiculous panicky hysteria.
Korolnek and Carlo (when he’s intelligible) talk more about their golf game and betting than anything Leafs lunch is plain vapid. I still listen to Overdrive some but there’s still seems to be way more silly schtick than before the medium is dying a slow death,,,, lol maybe it’s just me getting old. I find Bourne and Kypreos listenable sometimes on podcasts which is the way I get most of my listening entertainment these days,

Have you heard him on Ottawa radio?
Like I said in another post I’ve just about quit on sports radio, I’ve given up on TSN Ottawa and Montreal completely, amateurish

• Love
Reactions: Auston 316

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Speaking of Toronto "media" and I'll use that term in more of an ironic sense.

Dangle has single handidly started a campaign that is aimed at running Marner out of town. Now it could be a gigantic troll, I mean who really knows with that bird brain or it's possibly a retort to anyone who's even mildly suggested moving Matthews the super untouchable out of town.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Dangle has single handidly started a campaign that is aimed at running Marner out of town. Now it could be a gigantic troll, I mean who really knows with that bird brain or it's possibly a retort to anyone who's even mildly suggested moving Matthews the super untouchable out of town.

This couldn’t be more false. Since when has Dangle started such a campaign?

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
TSN should make the right choice and remove one of Jeff or Jamie for Jonas. Yesterday's show even despite all the negativity around the Leafs was very good. I didn't miss Jamie at all. Hayes and Jonas also have really good chemistry.

I think you continuously miss the whole point of talk radio these days. It’s to be entertaining. Jonas’ sucks. He’s a good writer, but he has the personality of a bored dog. He’s not cut out for radio and would suck if he was on the air 5 days a week for an extended period of time.

If you want crazy in-depth analysis go listen to another podcast. The whole point of Overdrive is to give that water cooler talk among buddies. Which means you’re gonna have irrational takes, you’re gonna have outbursts, you’re gonna have those personal stories. That’s what makes them who they are and a unique show. They are trying to connect to viewers as if they are in your basement or garage shooting the shit with you.

If you can’t understand that, stop listening to them lol. Jeez.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
his youtube thing had that in the title, it's a very suggestive narrative for those LeaFlanders that follow him and his free form angst

what? on the LFR videos or the Steve Dangle Podcast?

His LFR videos don't have that and Steve Dangle Podcast always makes video titles that are meant to be sarcastic! On the Steve Dangle Podcast they discussed it because of all the noise it was getting on Twitter/Message Boards. But Steve himself didn't advocate for trading Marner, he just suggested something has to change within the core. The current group isn't working.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Link?

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Lol what a take. A paid leafs beat reporter who exclusively writes about the leafs doesn't watch the games and didn't watch the playoffs? And I'm not even a fan of Jonas. This article reeked of softness and him failing to ever critisize Marner or Dubas.

I don't know if he writes these articles to try and maintain his relationship with the players and management or he actually believes this stuff.

Mirtle on the other hand I actually think does good work analyzing the cap and contract projections and stuff like that. He is usually really measured in his takes and tries to not fall into the hysteria. But in the podcast where the 2 discussed this article topic it was refreshing to hear Mirtle strongly disagreed with Jonas here and actually admitted that just about every move Dubas made this offseason has not worked out.
Yeah the way Jonas reacted reminded me of a few people on this board. I still think some of those extreme pro Dubas posters are Jonas.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think Toronto Radio shows should not be on TV.
Unless you have internet connection in the car, you really can only listen to local radio stations. If Leafs lunch is homer, that’s what it should be bc the audience are in the TO area. Same should apply to Overdrive bc it is meant for TO area and not National audience.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Kipper is getting on my nerves.

A few days ago someone on his show asked "would you straight up swap leafs rosters with the Buffalo Sabres?"

And Kipper hemmed and hawed and said that it's a tough decision

Wtf!?

• Wow
Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021

A few days ago someone on his show asked "would you straight up swap leafs rosters with the Buffalo Sabres?"

Wtf!?
Wtf, watch a young team play. Looks like Leafs 3 years ago, with better 4th line

Reactions: Anthrax442

KPower

Jan 17, 2012

Wtf!?
I’d trade every defenseman in our organization for Dahlin and Power.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC

1667687406130.jpeg

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Wtf!?
The right answer is obviously YES. Sabres have 2 great defensemen and 10 forwards capable of playing on a scoring line. Leafs have the big 4 forwards. Neither have great goaltending.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Buffalo will be a real threat in ~2 years. They got some great pieces. They'll be able to have power or dahlin out on the ice for 90% of games. They just need a goalie (got solid goalie specs but still likely need someone for the next couple years)

NJD this year are really reminding me of the early version of this leafs team. Young and play with so much tempo and pace.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Wtf!?
They have already have the stud D men, some really good young forwards, a plethora of draft picks, and prospects, particularly goalies and they are a cap floor team. If the need pieces they have the resources to find them.

It won’t happen this year, but it looks like they are about to open a window to contend for the Cup for a few years.

I can see why Kyper paused and possibly considered the Leafs roster and the short term potential

Last edited:
Reactions: garce

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
They have already have the stud D men, some really good young forwards, a plethora of draft picks, and prospects, particularly goalies and they are a cap floor team. If the need pieces they have the resources to find them.

It won’t happen this year, but it looks like they are about to open a window to contend for the Cup for a few years.

I can see why Kyper paused and possibly considered the Leafs roster and the short term potential

Their bad underlying numbers are slowly catching up to them, and they are being outplayed every night.

I would be much more interested if they landed a top 3 pick this year, or even a guy like Carlsson at 4-5. I still don't love their forwards...lots of potential but they give up a ton defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad