Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Anyone here listen to any of the various post game shows? Of all of them I think Rinkwide Toronto with David Alter is my preferred show. Leafstalk on Sportsnet would be fine if McKee wasn't constantly rushing the conversation or talking over Bunkis. Game Over that SDPN does I'm just not interested in, without an expert it's just listening to fans. TSN I assume still does a postgame but with it not being available on podcast sites or apps I'm not listening to it.

Reactions: wingman75

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
One thing that has become apparent to me, having been out in Vancouver for 2 months & listening to the coverage of the Canucks - people who think the Toronto market is a "hard" place to play because of the media scrutiny, are kidding themselves.

The Canucks coverage is ruthless. Highly entertaining, but it makes Toronto coverage look / sound like a bunch of guys coddling a hockey team.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Did odog and roe seriously imply that matthews wasn't wasn't scoring as much because he's focusing more on defense? And Noodles of all people had to point out that Matthew's was already good defensively?

• Wow
Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
One thing that has become apparent to me, having been out in Vancouver for 2 months & listening to the coverage of the Canucks - people who think the Toronto market is a "hard" place to play because of the media scrutiny, are kidding themselves.

The Canucks coverage is ruthless. Highly entertaining, but it makes Toronto coverage look / sound like a bunch of guys coddling a hockey team.

No sports radio is better than Vancouver radio when the Canucks are in a rut.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No sports radio is better than Vancouver radio when the Canucks are in a rut.
It's genuinely entertaining to listen to.

I kind of respect that they don't pull any punches either - nothing is off limits, from questioning player's dedication to the cause vs just wanting money, to just being crap lol. The Tyler Myers talk this morning was hilarious.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Anyone here listen to any of the various post game shows? Of all of them I think Rinkwide Toronto with David Alter is my preferred show. Leafstalk on Sportsnet would be fine if McKee wasn't constantly rushing the conversation or talking over Bunkis. Game Over that SDPN does I'm just not interested in, without an expert it's just listening to fans. TSN I assume still does a postgame but with it not being available on podcast sites or apps I'm not listening to it.
Yes, but I am only aware of the ones (not in Toronto market area) you mentioned and queue them up. Usually take in Leafs Talk the night of the game because it is 30 minutes or less and I want to get to sleep. If I am still awake, I will fire up Rinkwide, or listen to it sometime the next morning. Rinkwide is 'better' for sure. I like Henny, such a throwback. I actually preferred Gunning and Gordo (Stellicktricity) on the post game. Not a big fan of Bunkis, but will listen because there is nothing else.

I tried the Game Over thing (is that the same as Leafs Late Night?), and I was like, wtf are these people, this is no better than me a 4 of you clowns chatting about the game, pointless as a podcast imo.

Would be most interested in a TSN post game pod since I like those personalities more.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Yes, but I am only aware of the ones (not in Toronto market area) you mentioned and queue them up. Usually take in Leafs Talk the night of the game because it is 30 minutes or less and I want to get to sleep. If I am still awake, I will fire up Rinkwide, or listen to it sometime the next morning. Rinkwide is 'better' for sure. I like Henny, such a throwback. I actually preferred Gunning and Gordo (Stellicktricity) on the post game. Not a big fan of Bunkis, but will listen because there is nothing else.

I tried the Game Over thing (is that the same as Leafs Late Night?), and I was like, wtf are these people, this is no better than me a 4 of you clowns chatting about the game, pointless as a podcast imo.

Would be most interested in a TSN post game pod since I like those personalities more.

Literally lol. I guess some people enjoy that but it’s not for me. I want to know what fans think I’ll just come here or go to r/Leafs on Reddit.

Reactions: wingman75

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Overdrive will be making an announcement today, and they put eye emojis on Bettman announcing a trade. All 3 will be on the show today but more interestingly Jonas will be there too. Might not mean anything but Jonas being there today despite all 3 being present might signify something
Edit:

Well so much for that

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Quick summary of Dubas' media avail today:

* On Muzzin - Tough to know whether Muzzin plays again this year. Uncommon injury that Leafs aren't too familiar with. Muzzin suffered 2 cervical spine injuries - once against CBJ in the bubble series & earlier in the year vs ARI. Says team want to do right by Muzzin's long-term health; he's a father of 2 & husband - his health is more important than him returning as a player.​
* Muzzin will stay around the team. Main rehab component right now is rest + some gym work.​
*For replacing Muzzin - excited to see Sandin & Liljegren in elevated roles. Isn't in a rush to make trade, but with Muzzin possibly out longterm and Dahlstrom out of the year, will explore trade market down the road once evaluations of Sandin & Liljegren + entire D core take place.​
*On injuries - Goalie and Defense depth both have been heavily tested. Praises Kallgren's response to tough losses / goals, going back to next year. Short term memory is his strong asset. Finds ways to battle & stay in games.​
*On Woll - had a setback with shoulder surgery, then picked up new ankle injury during rehab. Expected to be back with Marlies practice tomorrow.​
*On tough results & injuries early in the year - Thinks early adversity with injuries & inconsistent results, is a positive. Learn about the people you're in the room with, and who can / can't handle it. Liked the response by the team after Western Road trip, plus getting back into the game Saturday after being 2-0 down. Says the ups & downs help him evaluate what they have vs what they need.​
*On the early pressure on Keefe - Everything Keefe does has a purpose. Says the group always respond to him, because he always finds a way to adapt & ensure he finds new ways to get through to the group. Encouraged by the way team continues to respond to setbacks​

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Quick summary of Dubas' media avail today:

* On Muzzin - Tough to know whether Muzzin plays again this year. Uncommon injury that Leafs aren't too familiar with. Muzzin suffered 2 cervical spine injuries - once against CBJ in the bubble series & earlier in the year vs ARI. Says team want to do right by Muzzin's long-term health; he's a father of 2 & husband - his health is more important than him returning as a player.​
* Muzzin will stay around the team. Main rehab component right now is rest + some gym work.​
*For replacing Muzzin - excited to see Sandin & Liljegren in elevated roles. Isn't in a rush to make trade, but with Muzzin possibly out longterm and Dahlstrom out of the year, will explore trade market down the road once evaluations of Sandin & Liljegren + entire D core take place.​
*On injuries - Goalie and Defense depth both have been heavily tested. Praises Kallgren's response to tough losses / goals, going back to next year. Finds a way to stay in games.​
*On Woll - had a setback with shoulder surgery, then picked up new ankle injury during rehab. Expected to be back with Marlies practice tomorrow.​
*On tough results & injuries early in the year - Thinks early adversity with injuries & inconsistent results, is a positive. Learn about the people you're in the room with, and who can / can't handle it. Liked the response by the team after Western Road trip, plus getting back into the game Saturday after being 2-0 down. Says the ups & downs help him evaluate what they have vs what they need.​
*On the early pressure on Keefe - Everything Keefe does has a purpose. Says the group always respond to him, because he always finds a way to adapt & ensure he finds new ways to get through to the group. Encouraged by the way team continues to respond to setbacks​
Thanks for posting. Great breakdown.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
So Overdrive crew will be hosting the Leafs on TSN game tomorrow. Fun stuff:confused:
Not sure about you guys but I'm looking forward to it. I mean realistically it'll be either really good or a fiasco where memes will be spawned that will live forever. Hayes has the most pressure, Noodles and O'Dog are veterans of the panel.

We'll chat then...

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Dreger on Leafs Lunch earlier today - most of the talk will be of Marner coming off the top line, but don't ignore William Nylander; this is a well deserved & earned promotion for someone who has played very well this season.

So Overdrive crew will be hosting the Leafs on TSN game tomorrow. Fun stuff:confused:
Really looking forward to it - the 3 of them are outstanding together, and it's going to be a blast; Hayes will be just fine.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Dreger on Leafs Lunch earlier today - most of the talk will be of Marner coming off the top line, but don't ignore William Nylander; this is a well deserved & earned promotion for someone who has played very well this season.

Really looking forward to it - the 3 of them are outstanding together, and it's going to be a blast; Hayes will be just fine.
Hayes was really smooth. Is it possible Duthie is looking to make a change and they're grooming the heir apparent? 🤔

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Hayes was really smooth. Is it possible Duthie is looking to make a change and they're grooming the heir apparent? 🤔
Guessing it's moreso just an opportunity for them to try someone new within their stable for when Duthie isn't available - he's off to the worlds now, but he also does Olympics & other golf tournaments, etc.

Sportsnet have Amber & others capable of stepping in while Ron MacLean isn't in, so TSN probably trying to establish who their "next in line" is

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Hayes is one of the best in Canada.

He needs to be a national broadcaster.

Absolutely Hayes is great at his job. Also Hayes is great because he’s so relatable.

I would hate to see a national broadcast ruin who he is!

Reactions: Roadhog

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Someone who gets paid to talk about hockey like Odog being shocked to hear that the leafs are one of the best defensive teams in the league is embarrassing. This is why you need to look at numbers once in awhile.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Someone who gets paid to talk about hockey like Odog being shocked to hear that the leafs are one of the best defensive teams in the league is embarrassing. This is why you need to look at numbers once in awhile.

MJ is a much needed voice in conversations like that. Leafs have scored a total of 3 goals in the last 4 Game 7s they've played in (Game 5 in 2020) and people would have us blow most of our assets on a defensive defenseman when this team has no other real offensive threats outside of the Big Four + Rielly.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Hayes is one of the best in Canada.

He needs to be a national broadcaster.
I've said it for years now...OverDrive is a fun gig hanging out and talking mostly hockey with two of your best buddies and acting and talking silly along the way.

But he's held his career back being saddled with those two blowhards. He has a whole lot more potential than taking about brazzers and listening to Noodles stammer his way through sentences.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Toronto media typically doesn't go that hard in the paint vs the Leafs when they are under performing.

Reactions: Tak7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad