Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don't mind Hayes. He's the host, he drives the discussion. He's not the sports expert.
Good voice for radio
He's an otherwise good host who should stop letting his ego drive conversations when he knows little about the topic he's thumping.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I've said it for years now...OverDrive is a fun gig hanging out and talking mostly hockey with two of your best buddies and acting and talking silly along the way.

But he's held his career back being saddled with those two blowhards. He has a whole lot more potential than taking about brazzers and listening to Noodles stammer his way through sentences.

Held his career back? The guy is a premier talk show radio host. You think he wants to go be a corporate puppet and hate his life? Have no creative freedom & have to be sensored even more? He gets paid probably reasonably good, to talk for 3 hours and the show is more popular than ever.

Why would he give any of that up for a national broadcast job that will bring more stress and less enjoyment than what he’s doing right now. Makes zero sense.

KitchenSink

Dec 3, 2018
Guessing it's moreso just an opportunity for them to try someone new within their stable for when Duthie isn't available - he's off to the worlds now, but he also does Olympics & other golf tournaments, etc.

Sportsnet have Amber & others capable of stepping in while Ron MacLean isn't in, so TSN probably trying to establish who their "next in line" is

It's possible Duthie might be looking to lessen his workload. He's been doing it for a while now and it's not like he still needs the money.

But I also wonder if maybe this is in response to the common complaint that the leafs never get a true local broadcast. They just use the national broadcast guys. I think Hayes and the overdrive guys is perfect for the leafs broadcasts. Maybe even swap out Jamie for Corrado or Carlo.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Held his career back? The guy is a premier talk show radio host. You think he wants to go be a corporate puppet and hate his life? Have no creative freedom & have to be sensored even more? He gets paid probably reasonably good, to talk for 3 hours and the show is more popular than ever.

Why would he give any of that up for a national broadcast job that will bring more stress and less enjoyment than what he’s doing right now. Makes zero sense.
Oh, I completely agree. He has a plumb job and yes, working for Sportsnet or TSN these days is pretty much being a corporate lackey.

I still do think though that he has a lot more potential in his career than where he is at now.

I also say that though as someone who never liked OverDrive from the onset and gave up on it a long time ago.

Reactions: francis246

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Someone who gets paid to talk about hockey like Odog being shocked to hear that the leafs are one of the best defensive teams in the league is embarrassing. This is why you need to look at numbers once in awhile.
MJ must be the only guy who pays attention. Leafs even though have dipped this season in defensive play are still fine. As MJ mentioned, Leafs problems have been scoring in the playoffs. They have't been getting that extra goal. Whats embarassing is hockey people still stuck in 2013 with the Leafs defensively

• Love
Reactions: Auston 316

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Toronto media typically doesn't go that hard in the paint vs the Leafs when they are under performing.

Very true.

A lot of the cast that did used to go in hard on them, are either gone or very marginalized now - Berger, Simmons, Feschuk.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It's possible Duthie might be looking to lessen his workload. He's been doing it for a while now and it's not like he still needs the money.

But I also wonder if maybe this is in response to the common complaint that the leafs never get a true local broadcast. They just use the national broadcast guys. I think Hayes and the overdrive guys is perfect for the leafs broadcasts. Maybe even swap out Jamie for Corrado or Carlo.
Sportsnet guys are National guys, TSN are the regional guys.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yes but that TSN crew covers other teams/games too, not just the Leafs. Leafs havent had a true regional broadcast since the Joe Bowen days.
lol, there are only 2 broadcasters in Canada. So ALL 7 teams either get all Sportsnet or TSN regionally and Sportsnet Nationally.
Absolutely nothing to do with the Leafs, you sign with one or the other regionally. TSN is a true regional broadcast.
CP24, Global TV or whomever you pick are not licensed for NHL broadcasts.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Duthie should hang on. The Rogers NHL deal only has 3 years left after this one, and assuredly TSN will get in on the national rights when they're up. He has a clear path to be the host of any national broadcasts if that's the case, the same way Rogers tried going after him to be theirs.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

My guess is that Duthie is busy with the Grey cup

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Someone who gets paid to talk about hockey like Odog being shocked to hear that the leafs are one of the best defensive teams in the league is embarrassing. This is why you need to look at numbers once in awhile.
Like Odog said, and many others share the opinion, that winning four rounds with that D is hard to fathom.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
lol, there are only 2 broadcasters in Canada. So ALL 7 teams either get all Sportsnet or TSN regionally and Sportsnet Nationally.
Absolutely nothing to do with the Leafs, you sign with one or the other regionally. TSN is a true regional broadcast.
CP24, Global TV or whomever you pick are not licensed for NHL broadcasts.
Missing the point but thanks for telling me what I already know.

Last edited:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Guys, is there anyone out there like Will Lou, Blake Murphy or Alex Wong who can cover the Leafs like they cover the Raptors?

Leafs radio and TV coverage is abysmal.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009

Thats what it should be. Over here we get stuff like Leafs need to be more gritty to get through an opposing trap.

Unfortunately, there is an absolute dearth of content on the internet that dicusses hockey strategy to the laymen even though hockey is a highly strategic sport.

Look at how people here fail to recogonize that the Leafs are a good defensive team over and over again because they just have an implicit bias against the specific players.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Im glad Bob Mckenzie isnt on TSN anymore, his arrogance was unbearable even though he would try at times to mask it, he couldnt hold back by one upping or trying to act like the smartest guy in hockey at any chance he could.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Im glad Bob Mckenzie isnt on TSN anymore, his arrogance was unbearable even though he would try at times to mask it, he couldnt hold back by one upping or trying to act like the smartest guy in hockey at any chance he could.

He never acted like he was the smartest guy (that Craig buttons schtik) MacKenzie was usually just the fastest to break news. Like Schefter or Woj.

I guess that can make someone arrogant but if youre consistently the one breaking news first you kind of have the right to be.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens

You and I are in the minority. HF Boards worships Johnny Roast Mackenzie (my friends and I nicknamed him that 30 years ago as he looks like Johnny Roast Beef from Goodfellas). He developed god-like status but to me he is as winded as all the other "insiders" - The flavour of the day is Elliotte Freidman, another guy who loves the sound of his own voice.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Unfortunately, there is an absolute dearth of content on the internet that dicusses hockey strategy to the laymen even though hockey is a highly strategic sport.

Look at how people here fail to recogonize that the Leafs are a good defensive team over and over again because they just have an implicit bias against the specific players.

Jack Han isn't too bad, but even he may be too advanced for a layman.

I may have started something on YouTube if it didn't conflict with my new job and there was interest in it.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
You and I are in the minority. HF Boards worships Johnny Roast Mackenzie (my friends and I nicknamed him that 30 years ago as he looks like Johnny Roast Beef from Goodfellas). He developed god-like status but to me he is as winded as all the other "insiders" - The flavour of the day is Elliotte Freidman, another guy who loves the sound of his own voice.
In what way was Bob arrogant or winded and why do you think Elliotte loves the sound of his own voice? If you have an opinion and know what you're talking about why not give it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad