Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'll sum it up.

Instead of putting out a product that people want and like. They are trying to peddle what the media think you ought to like and it's failing. This is what happens when no talent hacks use google trends to assemble a show rather than let authentic personalities assemble an audience.

What do I know though.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'll sum it up.

Instead of putting out a product that people want and like. They are trying to peddle what the media think you ought to like and it's failing. This is what happens when no talent hacks use google trends to assemble a show rather than let authentic personalities assemble an audience.

What do I know though.
Especially bad when Google trends are actually misleading

Reactions: thewave

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You like that doom and gloom garbage. Kypreos tries to makes everything worse than it is and Bourne is his yes man. They are unlistenable for me.
It is primarily a Leafs‘ show, so it’s difficult to avoid talking about them.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
You know it's bad when you start thinking maybe Strombolopoulos wasn't so bad after all.
So many great comments in this thread.
There have been worse on-air personalities at HNIC since Strombolopoulos was canned (stammering amateurs with nothing interesting to say, polished personality-less talking heads, media guys with conflicting connections to the league front office and player agents, marble mouthed talkers fed "old school" talking points they can't convincingly deliver but I still don't want him back by any means.
Strombo was the start of the slippery slope that led HNiC to where it finds itself now. Still chasing a conceptual audience they see as the "youth" segment, and not understanding that the so called youth can not, nor will not sit still for 3 hours once a week, when they can easily watch game in 6 when they feel like it, if they feel like.
It's laughable that Strombo was ever a "youth" connected personality. He's just a crown corporation's concept of what a "youth" connect personality is: a 40 something in a close fitting suit with the proper hint of diversity who can parrot the correct opinions and use their latest tortured language at their lunches and parties.
The kids didn’t even like Strombo when he was put on HNIC.
And so they shouldn't. His hip/cool is as real as a wooden nickel. He's Steve Buscemi with a skateboard.
Oh, and the heavy incorporation of the batting/gambling segments into the show (this applies to sporting broadcasts all over) is a rapid slippery slope that will take away from the authenticity of the sport itself.
I'm glad I'm not alone in spotting this. We need to keep calling this out and mocking them for this. They are selling life-altering vices to a wide swath of the population. It is without a doubt bad for 99%+ of the population. Even those who just lose a little disposable income are doing something harmful to themselves. There are many better ways to use that money: self-improvement, better quality of food, improving your living conditions, financing a rewarding hobby, savings for their off-spring's future, etc. And this isn't talking about that certain percent who literally destroy their life and those around them obsessed over the next big win gambling with money they can't afford to lose.

And yes it's a slippery slope. They'll eventually loosen advertising standards on other vices and it'll be "Our 1st intermission is brought to you by SASS aka Stank Ass Stems and Seeds Dispensary corporation."
Hilarious that it wasn’t that long ago that all the leagues sued these companies and swore that they would never allow gambling on their sport. Now former athletes and even current athletes are pimping the product.
We now see what it always was. It was never about integrity of the product. The NHL just wanted to be able to wet its beak a little before embracing sports wagering.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Especially bad when Google trends are actually misleading
I'm old enough to remember being seduced by the unbelievable effectiveness of Google's search. Today it is utter garbage. It never finds a relevant result for most kinds of searches. It's literally just a way to get the link to a wikipedia article or an IMDB page. On current events, it's become a propaganda steering mechanism. Yahoo! in 2000 was better.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don't get why fans describe Kypreos as "doom and gloom".

He played on a Stanley Cup team in the 90s. Why on earth would he prop up TOR for being a Regular Season success story?

When have the Leafs shown any surprises or overachieved in the post season?

Why does he "doom and gloom"? Because he's honest, and TOR does not win anything outside of regular season.

I'm old enough to remember being seduced by the unbelievable effectiveness of Google's search. Today it is utter garbage. It never finds a relevant result for most kinds of searches. It's literally just a way to get the link to a wikipedia article or an IMDB page. On current events, it's become a propaganda steering mechanism. Yahoo! in 2000 was better.
So what do you use now?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
You like that doom and gloom garbage. Kypreos tries to makes everything worse than it is and Bourne is his yes man. They are unlistenable for me.
You're listening with your heart and not your head.

I find that the Hayes and crew idea of belittlement coverage of the Leafs in order to make it more palatable to the average listener but a lot more insulting to the average fans intelligence. The straight goods aren't fun when the team is playing like they are, and like Clint said in the "Outlaw Josey Wales" "don't piss up my back and try to tell me it's raining."

I don't get why fans describe Kypreos as "doom and gloom".

He played on a Stanley Cup team in the 90s. Why on earth would he prop up TOR for being a Regular Season success story?

When have the Leafs shown any surprises or overachieved in the post season?

Why does he "doom and gloom"? Because he's honest, and TOR does not win anything outside of regular season.

So what do you use now?
Fully agree

There's something other than google? Really?

Oh right Bing!

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
You're listening with your heart and not your head.

I find that the Hayes and crew idea of belittlement coverage of the Leafs in order to make it more palatable to the average listener but a lot more insulting to the average fans intelligence. The straight goods aren't fun when the team is playing like they are, and like Clint said in the "Outlaw Josey Wales" "don't piss up my back and try to tell me it's raining."

Fully agree

There's something other than google? Really?

Oh right Bing!
I tuned in to Kypreos imply that Samsonov and Murray don't get along because he one time saw a goalie on his team be a bad teammate.

Shit on Keefe for calling out the stars, then the next day shit on Keefe for rolling it back bc what he said wasn't bad at all.

Don't have time for his nonsense and his cuck sidekick.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I tuned in to Kypreos imply that Samsonov and Murray don't get along because he one time saw a goalie on his team be a bad teammate.

Shit on Keefe for calling out the stars, then the next day shit on Keefe for rolling it back bc what he said wasn't bad at all.

Not what I heard my friend, but I would suggest you're just not hip to their jive dig me cat!

What in the wide world of sports is a cuck and why in the name of the mighty Quinn would it be germaine in this discussion?

Cheers, and have nice day.

Reactions: Nineteen67

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario

Maybe start listening to Sirius XM and the NHL network. You will get a better balance of the NHL and the Leafs. Why everyone likes to listen to hometown radio is beyond me.

• Love
Reactions: Auston 316

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Maybe start listening to Sirius XM and the NHL network. You will get a better balance of the NHL and the Leafs. Why everyone likes to listen to hometown radio is beyond me.
Canceled it since I started working from home. Never bothered to get it back. Did enjoy it when I had it.

Reactions: Auston 316

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Mike Johnson was kind of cringey tonight. Specifically coaching the penalty shot by Kerfoot at the blue line and being a little too enthusiastic during other plays. Otherwise he was a pretty good color man.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

If you’re looking for confirmation, you won’t find any, all you’ll get is information.
And it’s not good information again this year.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Boys are getting flayed by Kyper and Bourne.

Kyper asking why Marner was benched when Matthews has been horrible all week.

Also asking "where the hell is Justin Holl on that Mitch flub leading to the 2nd goal? He's not even on the screen!"

Bourne follows up with "it's stars, 2 of them, vs the coach".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad