Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Did Hayes say something really inflammatory about the leafs in hour 1 today? Him and Odog said that they probably wouldn't be welcome in the alumni box right now and hour 1 still hasn't been posted even though 2 and 3 are up.
Not too bad. Basically it’s early but they’re following the same script.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I get a kick out of Toronto sports media talking about US college sports, particularly football, for e.g., on Monday Carlo said he loves the 12th Man at MS State…..

Last edited:

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I guess for entertainment but really IMO they are just being negative clowns. Like I get it on occasion but how about some positivity after wins? Literally after the Washington win, they talked about how the team is soft and whatever. Seriously guys? I thought the topic would be about Keefe talking about using a bullet after game 1, and that would be fine, but really soft in the bottom 6? Do these guys know who ZAR and NAK are? The opposite of soft. Good on MJ for shutting Hayes and Jeff down.
I listen to them for the entertainment not the quality hockey talk. Quality hockey talk you need to find on podcasts.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I listen to them for the entertainment not the quality hockey talk. Quality hockey talk you need to find on podcasts.
100% THIS !!

This is purely entertainment... same as Kipper & Bourne. To get real insight on the team or the league there are a dozen good podcasts that take an objective look at things.

I love Overdrive for the over-the-top reactions, the entertainment and the brain malfunctions 😀

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I enjoy Overdrive but see it for what it is. Anything that isn't hockey, Hayes basically has to carry it - especially compared to Noodles. I did enjoy Jason Strudwick telling the story yesterday about getting benched by Mike Keenan and when, he, as asked, sat at the end of the bench was told by Keenan "No, the END of the bench" and proceeded to make him sit on the other side of the backup goalie.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I enjoy Overdrive but see it for what it is. Anything that isn't hockey, Hayes basically has to carry it - especially compared to Noodles. I did enjoy Jason Strudwick telling the story yesterday about getting benched by Mike Keenan and when, he, as asked, sat at the end of the bench was told by Keenan "No, the END of the bench" and proceeded to make him sit on the other side of the backup goalie.

That was an amazing story by Strudwisk about Keenan.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Call me a dinosaur, but HNIC has not come close to replacing the entertainment value of Coach's Corner since Grapes was canned. The Saturday night broadcast used to be appointment television--sad to see how it has devolved into something so generic.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'm starting to really hate a couple of shows on The Fan 590.sportsnet. The morning show is nothing but gambling. Gambling lines, best bets, parlays, over under, etc. Oh my god. No one talks about anything of substance on most of these shows now. It's so bad as entertainment to hear betting lines.

Call me a dinosaur, but HNIC has not come close to replacing the entertainment value of Coach's Corner since Grapes was canned. The Saturday night broadcast used to be appointment television--sad to see how it has devolved into something so generic.
I blame Marek and Friedman for part of that. They've ruined a lot of the entertainment around hockey.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Absolutely and unequivocally unwatchable. Shame shame shame on them.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Ralph Mellanby, who basically made HNIC into the greatest show on Canadian television and was co-creator of Coach’s Corner died, not that long ago. He must be spinning in his grave.

It's way too corporate and politically correct. All of the talking heads are stiff and robotic. No fun incorporated, and they're all afraid to say something controversial that actually would have credence to it.
You can thank Rogers for putting the final nail in the HNIC slide that had begun years before when CBC took over control of HNIC away from McLaren Advertising.

Last edited:

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Oh, and the heavy incorporation of the batting/gambling segments into the show (this applies to sporting broadcasts all over) is a rapid slippery slope that will take away from the authenticity of the sport itself.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Oh, and the heavy incorporation of the batting/gambling segments into the show (this applies to sporting broadcasts all over) is a rapid slippery slope that will take away from the authenticity of the sport itself.
Hilarious that it wasn’t that long ago that all the leagues sued these companies and swore that they would never allow gambling on their sport. Now former athletes and even current athletes are pimping the product.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
You know it's bad when you start thinking maybe Strombolopoulos wasn't so bad after all.
Strombo was the start of the slippery slope that led HNiC to where it finds itself now. Still chasing a conceptual audience they see as the "youth" segment, and not understanding that the so called youth can not, nor will not sit still for 3 hours once a week, when they can easily watch game in 6 when they feel like it, if they feel like.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
HNIC is not current with the times. Compare them to the TNT staff in the NBA and it's a joke.
I think they should just hire Subban and have him and Bieska have a segment and see how it goes.

Strombo was the start of the slippery slope that led HNiC to where it finds itself now. Still chasing a conceptual audience they see as the "youth" segment, and not understanding that the so called youth can not, nor will not sit still for 3 hours once a week, when they can easily watch game in 6 when they feel like it, if they feel like.
Spot on

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
I'm starting to really hate a couple of shows on The Fan 590.sportsnet. The morning show is nothing but gambling. Gambling lines, best bets, parlays, over under, etc. Oh my god. No one talks about anything of substance on most of these shows now. It's so bad as entertainment to hear betting lines.

I blame Marek and Friedman for part of that. They've ruined a lot of the entertainment around hockey.
The best NHL talk is on Sirius XM. The NHL station has the best league talk.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I wish the Fan590 could find a way to make Stellick and Kyper permanent. Bourne is fine and could be the third man.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I wish the Fan590 could find a way to make Stellick and Kyper permanent. Bourne is fine and could be the third man.
You like that doom and gloom garbage. Kypreos tries to makes everything worse than it is and Bourne is his yes man. They are unlistenable for me.

Reactions: stickty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad