Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Absolutely disgusted with the TSN panel today.

If you were listening, you’d have no idea we just set a franchise points record last year. I don’t get upset about this stuff usually, but today was absolutely ridiculous. Constant venom to the point it was unprofessional.

Craig Button, the Overdrive guys, Poulin, Duthie, and Martin Biron were the worst offenders.

At one point Duthie said that Marty Biron has Toronto ranked last out of all the Canadian teams.

Couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

If you were listening, you’d have no idea we just set a franchise points record last year. I don’t get upset about this stuff usually, but today was absolutely ridiculous. Constant venom to the point it was unprofessional.

Craig Button, the Overdrive guys, Poulin, Duthie, and Martin Biron were the worst offenders.

At one point Duthie said that Marty Biron has Toronto ranked last out of all the Canadian teams.

The panel was very pessimistic for sure. Question the goaltending all you want but this is still a team that got 110+ points with awful goaltending the majority of the season and the core of it still intact. I’m not saying they should be considered “Cup Contenders” given this teams first round demons but Jesus there was a lot of doom angle gloom. Saying there was no next wave of players while ignoring Robertson’s existence or taking into account that one of our prospects that could be knocking on the door has been sidelined with an absolutely tragic disease.

Last edited:

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

To be fair Biron is a moron

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020

Poulin has had it in with the organization since he got canned. He's defending signing Lupul to "that" contract to this day. His takes are always brutal when they come to toronto.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hey Hayes, since you seem to think this team is hopeless, why don't you join the other 31 teams?
Jamie for all the flack I give him is trying to be reasonable, yet he keeps getting interrupted by yelling Hayes who has lost his mind.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site

That was for Goalies

Reactions: wingman75

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
It was interesting to watch that bashing. Poulin brought up Avalanche as winners and they have same goaltending situation with us and they're losing Kadri. I'd bet that if Oilers would have added Muzzin and Brodie they would be praised as winners. Now they only brought Campbell in good light and reminded there was one short sting of good play from Murray. Well, there was only one short stint of elite play from Campbell and you're praising team that signed him for five years.

I understand why our goaltending is seen so grim and we couldn't make any meaningful signings, but still the narrative was way overboard. Out of contenders we lost way less than Lightning and we went to game seven against them. They lost in the finals and now will go on without Palat and McDonagh.

Are those Oilers rookies really that good they paint them to be?

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Poulin has had it in with the organization since he got canned. He's defending signing Lupul to "that" contract to this day. His takes are always brutal when they come to toronto.
Poulin, Burke McGuire et al are examples of the kind of old school university educated old time "hockey men" who absolutely loath the wave of young analytics oriented people who came into the league and are represented by Dubas.
. Poulins era here under Burke has proven to be an embarrassment for a bunch with with such high opinions of their own intellects any Dubas success illustrates how inept that regime was.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Poulin, Burke McGuire et al are examples of the kind of old school university educated old time "hockey men" who absolutely loath the wave of young analytics oriented people who came into the league and are represented by Dubas.
. Poulins era here under Burke has proven to be an embarrassment for a bunch with with such high opinions of their own intellects any Dubas success illustrates how inept that regime was.
Your profile picture of doggo makes me happy. Reminds me of mine :laugh:

But yea olds school versus new school... Honestly at the moment the media is spinning it as if we are in line for a lottery pick in the upcoming season.

Attachments

• 5A3F6579-82F3-4AE7-BC39-8A6824D45802.jpeg
    5A3F6579-82F3-4AE7-BC39-8A6824D45802.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: garce

garce

Mar 20, 2010

But yea olds school versus new school... Honestly at the moment the media is spinning it as if we are in line for a lottery pick in the upcoming season.

Pups are the best!

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Mike Johnson has the be one of the most level headed, unbiased analysts out there. It still blows my mind that this guy still somehow does not have a prominent gig with a network. I have been preaching this for years now at this point. He was the only one on that panel yesterday that didnt have ridiculous hot takes, and actually brought up legit concerns about other contracts. But honestly thats probably why, cause he doesnt play into the bs media hot take angle. Wouldn't shock me to see Poulin vote for the Jets as the best Canadian team next year, like he does every year :laugh:

TBH over the last few years I just pay attention to the toronto media less and less. Theyre absolutely horrible. When I watch a game, I don't pay attention to the intermissions at all. I used to listen to Overdrive but gave that up because I got sick of it. The media honestly seems worse when the team is good, than when they were god awful for a decade. Its nauseating.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Went out to Tims in time to hear MJ countering Carlos dumbbell doom and gloom with logic and fact. He doesn’t paint a rosy picture of the current state, more like a good team at status quo,but doesn’t see the disaster that most of the other TSN personalilies are barking about. Gonna have a coffee watch the Open and shut out the noise from the GTA sports media for a few hours,

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Mike Johnson has the be one of the most level headed, unbiased analysts out there. It still blows my mind that this guy still somehow does not have a prominent gig with a network. I have been preaching this for years now at this point. He was the only one on that panel yesterday that didnt have ridiculous hot takes, and actually brought up legit concerns about other contracts. But honestly thats probably why, cause he doesnt play into the bs media hot take angle. Wouldn't shock me to see Poulin vote for the Jets as the best Canadian team next year, like he does every year :laugh:

TBH over the last few years I just pay attention to the toronto media less and less. Theyre absolutely horrible. When I watch a game, I don't pay attention to the intermissions at all. I used to listen to Overdrive but gave that up because I got sick of it. The media honestly seems worse when the team is good, than when they were god awful for a decade. Its nauseating.
Leafs are still bad. When you don't win a round in 6 straight years it's totally fair say that they're bad.

115 points sure look good at first clance. Then you see that rest they were 7 very bad teams in east. The worst playoff team in east had over 100 points.. It was easier than ever gather points points last year.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Leafs are still bad. When you don't win a round in 6 straight years it's totally fair say that they're bad.

115 points sure look good at first clance. Then you see that rest they were 7 very bad teams in east. The worst playoff team in east had over 100 points.. It was easier than ever gather points points last year.
Yeah they took the b2b champs (and cup finalists) to 7 games. Horrible team.

You're starting to sound like the media.

Is it embarrassing and horrible that they haven't won a playoff series yet? Of course it is. But to objectively say theyre a bad team aint it. The decade before Matthews were bad teams. This is a flawed team.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It was goaltending that the Panel had the Leafs ranked last out of Canadian Teams. If they aren’t last, they’re close to it

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Gotta turn off Carlo and Matt Cauz. Carlo just said he sees himself as the voice of Leaf Fans. He can't pronounce 4 letter words and has the vocabulary of an 8 year old.
I think we know now why he weren't more succesful as a hockey player. Too much confidence without real substance to back it up. They'll get paid to gather interest and his tactic is that negative fear monger, but I don't like how he presents it or himself.

Like said there is room for critique and Dubas is under magnifying glass, but if you build narrative build it on whole picture. If you think that you can talk up goaltenders of Colorado and bash ours. Do your diligence first.

They won the cup, but that cup wont give them single win in the regular season or playoffs. They have to play those games. We lost Lyubishkin, Mikheyev, Mrazek, Spezza and Campbell. We have still best defense we had before season than any other season before this. If you talk up Jets defense you could rationalize that ours isn't bad, it is always bit sad that we didn't sign that Gudbranson contract, it would have been good TV. Now he went to Columbus and who cares that contract will be disaster after one year, but it's good to talk up Lyubushkin, because it's a fact that we don't have that kind of dman. I think it's good thing that we don't have that kind of UFA defender signed.

Our offense is looking lot like Oilers offense before Hyman signing and it's a problem. You can look that depth chart and see at least two glaring holes there. Ask questions how we're going to replace Mikheyev and how we can add meaningful players. It's a good question.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020

For sure. They never have owned up to their own mistakes. Just have too much an ego to do it. It was so annoying hearing him defending the Lupul signing like it was one his children. "He was a really good hockey player...REALLY GOOD...better than a lot of the players on the current team". You signed an injury prone player, who you only received because he was injury prone to a long-term major money deal. You have no foresight that he might get injured again? "How could we know he'd get hurt again?"...dumbass

Reactions: garce

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Worst thing about free agent frenzy is the next day, when you see a bunch of 50 year old idiots who are like 'man, I worked so hard and now I need a 3 month vacation at the cottage.'

Reactions: Recipe Unlimited

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
TSN found a gem in Cheryl Pounder. She's already better than most of the talent there, and I wish all other female journalists were just like her.

Reactions: thewave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad