Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

This doesn't lineup with what Carlo said on Friday. He said he would be on air today and planning on doing the show from the charity golf tournament, but interestingly he wasn't on the show today.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yeah didn't they say he was in Colorado or something?

Seemed pretty random. :dunno:

But, with his possible involvement in yet another Hockey Canada debacle, no surprise at all that he's been pulled from the show.

Reactions: stickty111

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I hate cancel culture crap but CoCo might be let go because of this. TSN is a publicly traded company, won't want the bad press.

Is Frankie Corrado still under contract in the KHL? Might have found his new permanent job if he wants to retire now.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I hate cancel culture crap but CoCo might be let go because of this. TSN is a publicly traded company, won't want the bad press.

Is Frankie Corrado still under contract in the KHL? Might have found his new permanent job if he wants to retire now.

Possibly you are correct, but there are laws in place that protect people from wrongful termination. So TSN would be in a bit of a bind and could have their own lawsuit if it came out he wasn’t involved at all. Or they’d have to pay him a lot more to buy him out of the contract.

I think this 2003 team one is a bit more suspect, it’s coming from a source who sat on this intel for 20 years? Never told the police or hockey Canada? Idk. We don’t even know who the victim is? (Not that they need to be identified but usually police will have contact) that hasn’t happened yet. A lot of holes in the story if you dig deep. But yeah TSN could also say we just don’t want that culture around and I’d respect that decision if they went that route.

The 2018 case is way more cut and dry.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Possibly you are correct, but there are laws in place that protect people from wrongful termination. So TSN would be in a bit of a bind and could have their own lawsuit if it came out he wasn’t involved at all. Or they’d have to pay him a lot more to buy him out of the contract.

I think this 2003 team one is a bit more suspect, it’s coming from a source who sat on this intel for 20 years? Never told the police or hockey Canada? Idk. We don’t even know who the victim is? (Not that they need to be identified but usually police will have contact) that hasn’t happened yet. A lot of holes in the story if you dig deep. But yeah TSN could also say we just don’t want that culture around and I’d respect that decision if they went that route.

Epochè

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

Isn't there supposed to be actual video evidence of the 2003 one?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Isn't there supposed to be actual video evidence of the 2003 one?

Supposedly, but the person who claims they saw the initial video said they deleted or destroyed the video, but sat on the information for 20 years. That makes no sense to me, if you saw the footage and had the footage why did they not take it to the police or tell anyone in Hockey Canada? Then 20 years later this comes up? No victim to back up this persons claims?

Idk the 2003 case seems a bit harder to prove where as the 2018 case is very cut and dry. You have a victim who has described what happened, the police and hockey Canada have verified the victims accounts. That doesn’t seem to be the case with the 2003 situation. It’s quite tricky. Hopefully the victim in the 2003 case can come forward and verify if this happened. If that doesn’t happen it’s purely speculation/rumours and poor journalism on Westhead for using a third party source to spear head an article like that. Rare mistake for him as he’s been doing amazing story’s so far.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Oh boy, the old time hockey men are gonna melt down. Carlo is so dense that any kind of unawareness doesn’t surprise me, but when this shite goes on the whole room knows at least through gossip if not first hand.
Id hope with Westhead spearheading the stories TSN radio would talk about this in depth. But I doubt most will be brave enough to. I can barely listen at all anymore even overdrive, I don’t care about the various personalities personal golf games or wagering sagas. It’s abysmal and feels like the end of days for sports radio. I pretty much listen to podcasts exclusively now.
Ya, in Carlo's defense, he does seem like someone completely unaware of things happening under his nose.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Overdrive on Tuesday and Wednesday was awesome and it's not surprising Jonas was on the show, all though his Soto take was outrageous. Corrado is good. Kara is also way better than Andi and it's not even close. I like how she and Jonas were teaming up against Hayes:laugh:

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Overdrive on Tuesday and Wednesday was awesome and it's not surprising Jonas was on the show, all though his Soto take was outrageous. Corrado is good. Kara is also way better than Andi and it's not even close. I like how she and Jonas were teaming up against Hayes:laugh:

I don't think it was a bad take, but his supporting argument was trash. He could've listed Soto's elite BB-K%, Swinging Strike %, chase%, etc, along with the power numbers. Instead, he kept saying vague statements like, "because he is so in control at the plate and doesn't get beat"

Reactions: stickty111

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Is JD Bunkus always a pretentious douchebag, or is that just the persona he uses on air?

"If anyone is making a big deal about this issue, you're an idiot."........*proceeds to spend the next 45 seconds ranting about said issue*

Co-host (Ailish, or however it's spelled) isn't much better either. :laugh:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I don't think it was a bad take, but his supporting argument was trash. He could've listed Soto's elite BB-K%, Swinging Strike %, chase%, etc, along with the power numbers. Instead, he kept saying vague statements like, "because he is so in control at the plate and doesn't get beat"
Yeah that was the wierd part about it. Jonas usually explains his stance well but this was one was odd. His reasoning is something I expect O'Dog to say.
His argument was just as bad as Hayes saying "Toronto sports teams haven't had an athlete who deserves a statue" which is complete nonsense. I'm giving Halladay a statue when it comes to the Jays and not thinking twice

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Is JD Bunkus always a pretentious douchebag, or is that just the persona he uses on air?

"If anyone is making a big deal about this issue, you're an idiot."........*proceeds to spend the next 45 seconds ranting about said issue*

Buttkiss is the worst. That whole morning show is ruined.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Buttkiss is the worst. That whole morning show is ruined.

The FAN Morning Show

With JD Bunkis, Blake Murphy & Ailish Forfar

Monday to Friday 6AM-10:00AM ET

Twitter: @JDBunkis | @BlakeMurphyODC | @ailishforfar

Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Play | Spotify

Phone

Local: (416) 870-0590

Cell: *590

Long Distance: 1-888-666-0590

Text: 590590

Ad

Upcoming events