Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Bob Mckenzie has(had) an account here at one time. He called some guy an ass clown and never posted again. This sounds entirely made up, but happened probably 15 years ago now lmao. :laugh:
Ha ha that is amazing!!

I listen to a leaf Report and a couple user messages sound like the way James and Jonas talk. I feel like those two have accounts here and use them. The more I see them post the more I’m getting convinced it’s them lol.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I think he's been always like that. I don't know if anyone remembers but one day years ago during the Carlyle Leafs, Ferraro was on for his segment (it might have been Leafs Lunch and not Overdrive back then?) and they were discussing the Leafs' inability/unwillingness to play defence.
O'Neill said something to the effect of 'Well they're just stupid then,' talking about the Leafs players, to which Ferraro responded with something like 'I don't think you were exactly a Selke finalist either,' O'Neill snapped and told him to watch his mouth, lol.
Guys like Razor and MJ are at least intelligent enough to be self aware of who they were as players and their shortcomings when trying to relate to todays players and putting themselves into the situations they talk about.
Jeff has this vision that he was some kind of 200’ hard skating elbows up Gordie howe lite superstar out there, meanwhile he was a floater who probably should go down as one of the greatest misuses of natural talent the NHL has seen.
Maybe he realizes that but won’t admit it and that’s why he’s so angry these days.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Do you think any of the media people read HF Boards or even have accounts on here?
It’s pretty evident based on topics of conversation during the show that at minimum the producers and even some hosts like Bourne pop in here (wouldn’t shock me about Mirtle and Siegel either) I remember trying to give Kypper and Bourne a fair shake one time and their topics of conversation literally read like the first page of the leafs sub forum on this site.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Guys like Razor and MJ are at least intelligent enough to be self aware of who they were as players and their shortcomings when trying to relate to todays players and putting themselves into the situations they talk about.
Jeff has this vision that he was some kind of 200’ hard skating elbows up Gordie howe lite superstar out there, meanwhile he was a floater who probably should go down as one of the greatest misuses of natural talent the NHL has seen.
Maybe he realizes that but won’t admit it and that’s why he’s so angry these days.

He talks about how he wasted his talent pretty regularly.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I've enjoyed watching Rogers and Sportsnet flounder with their fat NHL contract. Especially Rogers, what a scumbag company (you too Bell)

What a disaster it has been for them. Feels like yesterday they were rolling out that puck wall and strombone 😆
Roberto Luongo would be a great get for in between periods. Dude always has something interesting to say.
I’m assuming you meant Strombo, yeah dudes okay when talking about music, specifically 80’s-90’s rock scene and the stories from then, but he was awful on hnic

Reactions: Buds17

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
He talks about how he wasted his talent pretty regularly.
It doesn’t convey in how he carries himself day to day on the show. I’ve heard him mention how he wishes he tried harder, but he leans way too much into the grumpy old man yelling at the clouds about how todays athletes don’t care. Meanwhile Bobby mac while working as a journalist legitimately referred to him as having the mind of a baby monkey when writing up his draft report

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It doesn’t convey in how he carries himself day to day on the show. I’ve heard him mention how he wishes he tried harder, but he leans way too much into the grumpy old man yelling at the clouds about how todays athletes don’t care. Meanwhile Bobby mac while working as a journalist legitimately referred to him as having the mind of a baby monkey when writing up his draft report

Just look at this. He can't accept any criticism.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Hometown Hockey is godawful
Hometown Hockey was the right idea, and had a lot more potential, but was executed poorly. Just like pretty much everything else Rogers has touched with this hockey contract.

By all accounts for those who attended the Hometown Hockey events when it was in their city/town/community, they all said it was extremely well done. Brought a buzz, had a great lead in for a few days leading up to the Sunday airing, and the atmosphere was great. And the ability to meet former players was a nice touch.

Rogers could have really built the Sunday night brand to complement HNiC on Saturdays. But when you're showing Winnipeg against Chicago on a random Sunday in February, while in Cape Breton, there was a huge disconnect.

Sadly though, all nights have blended together. Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays -- do any feel different than the other anymore?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Ha ha that is amazing!!

I listen to a leaf Report and a couple user messages sound like the way James and Jonas talk. I feel like those two have accounts here and use them. The more I see them post the more I’m getting convinced it’s them lol.

I thought Jonas Seigel might lurk here when he suggested Miles Wood as a potential target.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015

Just look at this. He can't accept any criticism.

How does anyone like/respect Odog at all anymore? I genuinely can't stand him as a person. If he had had any integrity/shame he wouldnt be able to talk the way he does about current players when he himself was and still is extremely mentally soft.

Odog is such a hypocrite all around, like how he loves to post pics of fat Hayes but when a listener rightly pointed out how he would hate that if it was the other way around he told them to shut up.

I also cant stand how loud and obnoxious he is, especially when he's calling someone else an idiot when he's the one making a stupid point or not understanding the issue.

I know aot of people want Noodles replaced by I'd much rather Odog be replaced by MJ or Jonas. Noodles can be super annoying with his irrational negative Leafs takes but he atleast seems like a decent person with integrity who doesn't bring down the mood of the show by acting like a spoiled manchild.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
How does anyone like/respect Odog at all anymore? I genuinely can't stand him as a person. If he had had any integrity/shame he wouldnt be able to talk the way he does about current players when he himself was and still is extremely mentally soft.

Odog is such a hypocrite all around, like how he loves to post pics of fat Hayes but when a listener rightly pointed out how he would hate that if it was the other way around he told them to shut up.

I also cant stand how loud and obnoxious he is, especially when he's calling someone else an idiot when he's the one making a stupid point or not understanding the issue.

I know aot of people want Noodles replaced by I'd much rather Odog be replaced by MJ or Jonas. Noodles can be super annoying with his irrational negative Leafs takes but he atleast seems like a decent person with integrity who doesn't bring down the mood of the show by acting like a spoiled manchild.

I agree with you, but O’Dog is the reason so many people tune in. The melt downs create entertainment and it’s hilarious. noodles, Jonas and Hayes would literally be the worst show on radio. It would be boring as hell

Radio is like 90% entertainment factor, 10% quality content.

He’s an ex NHLer who’s bitter with the way his NHL career ended

Last edited:

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
I agree with you, but O’Dog is the reason so many people tune in. The melt downs create entertainment and it’s hilarious. noodles, Jonas and Hayes would literally be the worst show on radio. It would be boring as hell

Radio is like 90% entertainment factor, 10% quality content.
Disagree as far as my own personal taste, I really enjoyed the show yesterday. But you're probably right for the broader audience, which is why someone like stephen a smith is so popular.

I bet Noodles hates Odogs guts but knows he has to tolerate him, Odog doesn't act any differently now than when Noodles got into a blow up with him on air a couple years ago.

Reactions: francis246

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Also, at what point are the boys forced to talk about the Hockey Canada scandal? Surely they can't keep ignoring it with the point it's gotten to now?

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Disagree as far as my own personal taste, I really enjoyed the show yesterday. But you're probably right for the broader audience, which is why someone like stephen a smith is so popular.

I bet Noodles hates Odogs guts but knows he has to tolerate him, Odog doesn't act any differently now than when Noodles got into a blow up with him on air a couple years ago.
Sometimes he takes it way too far and it does take away from the show all together. But that fan hit it on the head. If anyone called O dog fat he’d lose his shit. Hayes is a great host, I actually wouldn’t mind something like Hayes, Corrado and Al’s brother but again I’m not sure how much Corrado knows bout other sports

Also, at what point are the boys forced to talk about the Hockey Canada scandal? Surely they can't keep ignoring it with the point it's gotten to now?
They won’t! Ever! Steve dangle podcast has done great coverage on it

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
what scandal?
Hockey Canada got sued by a women saying members of the 2018(I believe) Canadian World Junior team gang raped her. She was settled with and NDA's signed. Hockey Canada was pulled in front of the Commons looked terrible and now a ton of sponsors are pulling the chute.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I don't know how you can watch these 2 shows and miss Jeff. Jonas was excellent on both days as he always is. I have a huge issue with Noodles but easily keep him over Jeff. Hayes and Jonas even have good chemistry I feel, and they had a good spirited healthy debate today, where Jeff would have resorted to yelling and making fun of Hayes in the same scenario. It's also nice having a 2nd member on the show who knows a lot about other sports that isn't hockey.
They need to get rid of Jeff and replace him with Jonas or MJ full time.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON

I haven't listened since the kessel years after mclennen would look for any opportunity to bash Kadri. One of their better young players but lets pick on every "mistake" for ratings. I haven't listened to those 3 idiots in a long time but I bet he's puckering up and kissing Kadris butt at the moment. Am I right?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Hockey Canada got sued by a women saying members of the 2018(I believe) Canadian World Junior team gang raped her. She was settled with and NDA's signed. Hockey Canada was pulled in front of the Commons looked terrible and now a ton of sponsors are pulling the chute.
I don't seek out much news any longer so this was literally the first time I've heard about this. It seems like it has been heavily suppressed. I've got some ideas:

1. Make NDA's invalid with regards to all criminal matters. No more of this buy off the victim/whistleblower/witness. This is how powerful people get away with their dirty deeds.
2. Every single Canadian hockey player, coach, official, sponsor, supporter should refuse to participate/fund Hockey Canada until this is played out in the judicial system. Also every single penny of government funding should be withdrawn.

Reactions: Roadhog

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
It’s pretty evident based on topics of conversation during the show that at minimum the producers and even some hosts like Bourne pop in here (wouldn’t shock me about Mirtle and Siegel either) I remember trying to give Kypper and Bourne a fair shake one time and their topics of conversation literally read like the first page of the leafs sub forum on this site.
They wouldn’t be doing their job if they were not looking at the worlds largest public hockey forum

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don't seek out much news any longer so this was literally the first time I've heard about this. It seems like it has been heavily suppressed. I've got some ideas:

1. Make NDA's invalid with regards to all criminal matters. No more of this buy off the victim/whistleblower/witness. This is how powerful people get away with their dirty deeds.
2. Every single Canadian hockey player, coach, official, sponsor, supporter should refuse to participate/fund Hockey Canada until this is played out in the judicial system. Also every single penny of government funding should be withdrawn.

The problem is the matter is already settled. It’s not going to court. The names aren’t coming out unfortunately. Hockey Canada is claiming they don’t know the actual players involved because the woman never actually named the players (she refused). I’m sure they do know which players were involved as they had to conduct an investigation.

But what needs to happen is until Hockey Canada agrees to create a more transparent process moving forward no one should give them a dime.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

Even the video of McDavid being waffled leaving the bar with a girl who wasn't Lauren Kyle. I don't care either way what the player does in his personal time, but you can bet your last dollar if that was a clip of Matthews the media here would be having a field day with it. Questioning Matthews' character and this is a reason Leafs can't get out of 1st round blah blah.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad