Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
NHL just released the vote distribution for the voters. Liljegren got a lot of votes for all rookie team, and not surprisingly a lot of his votes came from the US market. Mirtle voted for Liljegren. Dom did which isn't surprising as he adores the kid. Bourne also voted for Liljegren which is so hilarious that I'm convinced it's a typo.

Whoever left Matthews or McDavid off their Hart ballot should have not be allowed to vote for a few years. Same with those that selected Liljegren for Calder.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Anyone else find it hilarious how much O has leaned into the grumpy old guy who talks about hits & grits nonstop yet was as butter soft and one dimensional as it got as a player? It’s so disingenuous.
Yup. He was the laziest in NHL history yet talks about work ethic and grit. It's hilarious. His biggest loss was when Phil Kessel won 2 cups despite Jeff criticizing him non stop.
Also good to hear CJ ruin Hayes's day by having a different opinion on Liljegren's contract

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yup. He was the laziest in NHL history yet talks about work ethic and grit. It's hilarious. His biggest loss was when Phil Kessel won 2 cups despite Jeff criticizing him non stop.
Also good to hear CJ ruin Hayes's day by having a different opinion on Liljegren's contract
It's a nice contract

I almost fell off my chair when those idiots started criticizing it
I honestly feel dumber for hearing that entire segment

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Why overdrive constantly speak of Liljegren as he’s an ECHLer is something I’ll never understand.

I honestly think Hayes lost a massive AHL parlay a few years ago because he bet the over on Lily's point total and Lily, needing 1 point to hit it, was staring at an empty net from center ice but he dumped the puck in the corner

Or maybe Lily didn't acknowledge him at a Food Basics.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
It's a nice contract

I almost fell off my chair when those idiots started criticizing it
I honestly feel dumber for hearing that entire segment
It was hilarious how everyone was in shocked silence when they asked CJ about the deal and he thought it was a good bit of business by the team. I was only listening but I imagine Hayes just about falling out of his chair

Reactions: Kiwi and stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It was hilarious how everyone was in shocked silence when they asked CJ about the deal and he thought it was a good bit of business by the team. I was only listening but I imagine Hayes just about falling out of his chair
MJ tomorrow will also have a positive view on the deal, so you wonder if Hayes will even bother asking him about the contract lol

Reactions: Kiwi

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
It’s a 1.4m bridge cap hit for a top 6 NHL d man. I don’t have a clue what else these guys were expecting, 900k?.

The program has gone downhill this season imo, losing Ferraro was a big loss. And MJ is too smart for these guys.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
They need to stick to entertainment and less trying to educate people on the game. Feels like O is trying too hard to get away from the gimmick O’Dog.

The more Hayes attempts to evaluate players the more clueless he comes off.

Last edited:

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003

Ron was in his element on Hometown Hockey, but is incredibly stale on HNIC, so this is disappointing. HNIC does need a re-brand and to take a deep breath. I've always felt the biggest difference between TSN and SNET coverage is that the chemistry and humour on TSN feels lighter and more organic whereas it feels really forced on SNET.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
His claim to fame is playing with Iginla.
Umm

Noodles was a teammate of better players than Iggy.
Hull, or Pronger, or Luongo.

This is a strange take, worse than anything that's been levied on him in the 18 pages I've read.

His claim to fame was being a long time back-up in the NHL, and playing for a million teams with a million teammates and telling stories from all different parts of the NHL (and also not NHL).

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Umm

Noodles was a teammate of better players than Iggy.
Hull, or Pronger, or Luongo.

This is a strange take, worse than anything that's been levied on him in the 18 pages I've read.

His claim to fame was being a long time back-up in the NHL, and playing for a million teams with a million teammates and telling stories from all different parts of the NHL (and also not NHL).
It was a joke take it easy noodles

Last edited:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I'm just happy they're killing Hometown Hockey. That was a completely wasted 30 minutes before games. Unwatchable to anyone who didn't have a family member waving at the screen from the frozen pond in the background.

Reactions: Anthrax442

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'm just happy they're killing Hometown Hockey. That was a completely wasted 30 minutes before games. Unwatchable to anyone who didn't have a family member waving at the screen from the frozen pond in the background.
The whole thing was just typical corporate bullshit. Take something that people actually liked and looked forward to(Hockey day in Canada). But completely miss the boat on why people liked it and looked forward to it so we will just tour the country every week of the year to completely suck the life and magic out of what was already working!

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I've enjoyed watching Rogers and Sportsnet flounder with their fat NHL contract. Especially Rogers, what a scumbag company (you too Bell)

What a disaster it has been for them. Feels like yesterday they were rolling out that puck wall and strombone 😆

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
Anyone else find it hilarious how much O has leaned into the grumpy old guy who talks about hits & grits nonstop yet was as butter soft and one dimensional as it got as a player? It’s so disingenuous.
I think he's been always like that. I don't know if anyone remembers but one day years ago during the Carlyle Leafs, Ferraro was on for his segment (it might have been Leafs Lunch and not Overdrive back then?) and they were discussing the Leafs' inability/unwillingness to play defence.
O'Neill said something to the effect of 'Well they're just stupid then,' talking about the Leafs players, to which Ferraro responded with something like 'I don't think you were exactly a Selke finalist either,' O'Neill snapped and told him to watch his mouth, lol.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I've enjoyed watching Rogers and Sportsnet flounder with their fat NHL contract. Especially Rogers, what a scumbag company (you too Bell)

What a disaster it has been for them. Feels like yesterday they were rolling out that puck wall and strombone 😆

I had forgotten about the puck wall. Obviously the Canadian teams all being varying degrees of bad from the launch of the new deal didn't help, but good god did they flounder out of the gate. I actually liked Strombo, but he didn't have a hope. Exposing viewers to Doug MacLean, Kypreos, and Damien Cox on Wednesday nights? I'm pretty sure that was a violation of the Geneva Convention

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad