Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
MJ is usually good, but I didn't agree with his Leafs takes at all today. One example: he believes that the Caps just happened to win when Trotz joined them.....implying that it had nothing to do with Trotz.
He thinks winning is all luck. He doesnt recognize the sacrifices it takes to win the Cup.

Reactions: Stigma

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Read this would me you believe Toronto got blown out this series.
Truth is that the Leafs drastically outplayed the reigning 2 time Cup winners in a 7 game series and came 1 goal short.
None of this is a problem if the Leafs score on any of the myriad of chances Vasilevsky stopped with his elbow and shoulder in Game 7.
None of this is a problem if the Leafs score in OT.
None of this is a problem if the Leafs manage to kill off a 5on3 in Game 6.
None of this is a problem if the officiating had been mediocre and we had not been assessed a 5 on 3 in Game 6, or if the referees stopped arbitrarily deciding when to start calling various infractions.
None of this is a problem if Toronto has a power play hitting at 30% like they did during the regular season instead of 15%......again.
None of this is a problem if Toronto isn't assessed a 5 minute major + game misconduct, suspension, and a total of 4 instances of 5 on 3 in all of 7 games played.

Is the fact that the Cap situation is tight coming into 2022/2023 a surprise to any of you?
Is the fact that the Leafs' defense corps is not young a surprise to any of you?
Was the Tavares signing a surprise to any of you?

Holy Overreacting Monday out here...

Are Calgary fans losing their minds screaming that they need to make changes up and down their line-up?
No, their team scored a lucky goal in OT instead of allowing a lucky goal.

Toronto fans behave so much like the DoPS that it's scary.
The result matters more than the underlying substance.

The team doesn't need to be blown up.
The team doesn't need any more time to build either.
Play that series 100 times and you likely get Toronto to win 50 times and Tampa to win 50 times.

Once again, when something is a coin-flip, Toronto gets the short end of the stick. Just like marginally questionable calls by officials, marginal suspensions that always lean to the heavy handed instead of the lenient.

The Leafs should keep the core intact as much as possible because they showed that they are not a step below the cup winners.

Having said that, if Toronto absolutely needs to move a big piece, then it has to be Nylander. There is just no other option.
I assume Kerfoot is gone and I won't shed a single tear for that loss, and if it were up to me, Engvall and Mikheyev would also go out the door.

Now, the financial situation will require some changes, but swapping out 4th line players is not as impactful as moving core players or firing the front office personnel.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Read this would me you believe Toronto got blown out this series.
Truth is that the Leafs drastically outplayed the reigning 2 time Cup winners in a 7 game series and came 1 goal short.
None of this is a problem if the Leafs score on any of the myriad of chances Vasilevsky stopped with his elbow and shoulder in Game 7.
None of this is a problem if the Leafs score in OT.
None of this is a problem if the Leafs manage to kill off a 5on3 in Game 6.
None of this is a problem if the officiating had been mediocre and we had not been assessed a 5 on 3 in Game 6, or if the referees stopped arbitrarily deciding when to start calling various infractions.
None of this is a problem if Toronto has a power play hitting at 30% like they did during the regular season instead of 15%......again.
None of this is a problem if Toronto isn't assessed a 5 minute major + game misconduct, suspension, and a total of 4 instances of 5 on 3 in all of 7 games played.

Is the fact that the Cap situation is tight coming into 2022/2023 a surprise to any of you?
Is the fact that the Leafs' defense corps is not young a surprise to any of you?
Was the Tavares signing a surprise to any of you?

Holy Overreacting Monday out here...

Are Calgary fans losing their minds screaming that they need to make changes up and down their line-up?
No, their team scored a lucky goal in OT instead of allowing a lucky goal.

Toronto fans behave so much like the DoPS that it's scary.
The result matters more than the underlying substance.

The team doesn't need to be blown up.
The team doesn't need any more time to build either.
Play that series 100 times and you likely get Toronto to win 50 times and Tampa to win 50 times.

Once again, when something is a coin-flip, Toronto gets the short end of the stick. Just like marginally questionable calls by officials, marginal suspensions that always lean to the heavy handed instead of the lenient.

The Leafs should keep the core intact as much as possible because they showed that they are not a step below the cup winners.

Having said that, if Toronto absolutely needs to move a big piece, then it has to be Nylander. There is just no other option.
I assume Kerfoot is gone and I won't shed a single tear for that loss, and if it were up to me, Engvall and Mikheyev would also go out the door.

Now, the financial situation will require some changes, but swapping out 4th line players is not as impactful as moving core players or firing the front office personnel.

Drastic is a strong word man. It was a back and forth series.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Drastic is a strong word man. It was a back and forth series.
Yeah, I saw a Tampa team that fed off of and relied heavily on the power play to generate for them the whole series.

Kucherov led Tampa in points with 8 and 5 of them were on the power play.

It's the biggest reason why I was clamouring for the refs to allow the players to play, because at even strength, Tampa had no responses to Toronto.
It's also the reason why it was so frustrating for the Leafs that after a relatively disciplined season, they were apparently looked at as the Broad St. Bullies.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
The more I hear of Chris Johnston the more it feels like he’s in Dubas’ back pocket. Rarely critical. Believes leafs need run it back with same group, core shouldn’t be touched and outplayed Tampa.

Things got a little awkward with he and O when O said who cares they lost anyway. CJ was pretty defensive and got silent for a while afterwards where Noodles had to step in.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
The more I hear of Chris Johnston the more it feels like he’s in Dubas’ back pocket. Rarely critical. Believes leafs need run it back with same group, core shouldn’t be touched and outplayed Tampa.

Things got a little awkward with he and O when O said who cares they lost anyway. CJ was pretty defensive and got silent for a while afterwards where Noodles had to step in.

Carlo and Jonas' interaction was similar.

I actually don't see in any way how they outplayed them at all. Tampa gave up very few high danger chances in Game 7.

Reactions: supermann_98

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Carlo and Jonas' interaction was similar.

I actually don't see in any way how they outplayed them at all. Tampa gave up very few high danger chances in Game 7.

Sounded like he was referring to Toronto outplaying Tampa as a whole in the series. But yes, I don’t care if the leafs outshot Tampa by a 3:1 ratio, they lost and that’s all that matters.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
On TSN this morning Carlo and Hayes were giddy and laughing at Bowens call at the end of the series. Tells me everything. I dont need a homer, but I sure don’t need these guys rooting for the Leafs to fail.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
On TSN this morning Carlo and Hayes were giddy and laughing at Bowens call at the end of the series. Tells me everything. I dont need a homer, but I sure don’t need these guys rooting for the Leafs to fail.
Nah Hayes and Carlo are Leafs fans. I think you are misinterpreting them and I can't stand Carlo and sometimes Hayes

Reactions: Apex Predator
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Yeah, I saw a Tampa team that fed off of and relied heavily on the power play to generate for them the whole series.

Kucherov led Tampa in points with 8 and 5 of them were on the power play.

It's the biggest reason why I was clamouring for the refs to allow the players to play, because at even strength, Tampa had no responses to Toronto.
It's also the reason why it was so frustrating for the Leafs that after a relatively disciplined season, they were apparently looked at as the Broad St. Bullies.

Special teams are part of hockey, no? I'd argue that special teams have cost the Leafs 3 of the last 4 series.

It's great that they can carry the play 5 on 5, but if part of what made you successful during the season (top PP, solid PK) doesn't carry over to the playoffs, you won't go very far.

Also, I don't think the Leafs drastically outplayed Tampa 5 on 5.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

CJ seems to be a real Leaf management spokesperson and Jonas likes to pretend he's coming at it objectively and not a Leafs fan or at least management fan.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Overdrive at 4pm

Hayes will launch into a 5+ minute tirade on how insane it is that the Leafs are clearly looking to simply re-tool and try again. O-Dog will agree but louder. Noodles, ever the calming voice, will chime in with "Yeah, but I see what Kyle is saying ..."

Reactions: Stinger8

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Odog is such a moron and so are all the leaf fans who think the way he does and can't grasp the simple point that MJ was making. The leafs lost by 1 goal to one of the best teams in modern history. You could run that back with the same players and get a different result from one team getting a couple more bounces/calls. Their previous playoff failures are irrelevant, the only thing that matters is where they were as a team this season and they were good enough to go neck and neck with the 2x cup champs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad