Toronto Maple Leafs - 2022 Entry Draft - 2nd Rd Pick (38th OA) - Fraser Minten (C)

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Not the first time Leafs scouts had to protect the Leafs team from a Leafs Dubas desire to trade the pick.

Ironically it might go down that Knies is the best draft pick taken during the Dubas Era and he will get praise and credit for it as one of his better moves as Leafs GM.

Literally no one knows everything. A sign of a good leader is trusting your guys have done their work and if they say you are wrong listening to them which he did.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

This is what sucks about our media. They ask leading questions and if they get anything other than a strong denial they run things like this.

Anyone watch the clip of it? He was asked if Minten could make the Leafs. Keefe said anyone still at camp has a chance.

Obviously that is similar, but when you read the quote out of context it seems Keefe was suggesting he is leaning that way instead of it being a possibility when asked directly.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

Keefe press availability, including comments on Minten at the link. It's clear from what he's said, that they are considering Minten. Yes, everyone still at camp has a chance, but also they need to give themselves another chance to see him. Says they get to see more of him if he might stick around.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
This is what sucks about our media. They ask leading questions and if they get anything other than a strong denial they run things like this.

Anyone watch the clip of it? He was asked if Minten could make the Leafs. Keefe said anyone still at camp has a chance.

Obviously that is similar, but when you read the quote out of context it seems Keefe was suggesting he is leaning that way instead of it being a possibility when asked directly.
It's extremely lazy.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Does anyone have Minten's faceoff percentage for the pre-season?

First game against OTT he was 5-1
Second game against BUF the stats weren't counted
Third game against MTL he was 6-7
Fourth game against MTL he was 10-11

So outside of that Buffalo game, 21 wins and 18 losses

Not sure how serious they are about him actually making the team but hes been very good in both the rookie tournament and now main camp and with his skillset and size he most likely doesn't need as much development time in junior or the minors as some others. In theory if he could hold down the 3LC spot and allow Nylander to move back up, it would make us a extremely deep lineup.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Not the first time Leafs scouts had to protect the Leafs team from a Leafs Dubas desire to trade the pick.

Ironically it might go down that Knies is the best draft pick taken during the Dubas Era and he will get praise and credit for it as one of his better moves as Leafs GM.
More Mss rubbish? He's literally one of the ringleaders of derailing this thread.....it's about MINTEN.

My God......someone please explain to me like I am 5 what the qualifications to be a Mod here are.

I can trash the Leafs, lie, and speak out my behind in every post too, if that is the threshold.

Last edited:
Reactions: thinkblue

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Which is why dubas said let’s make the pick. He pitched the trade back offers and the various outcomes of that (Knies still on the board or who else is available) Vs just taking the pick then and there.
Still don’t see what OP was whinging about

Then the GM and scouting dept. made the right call after assessing all avenues.
Isn’t that what we hope they’re doing?

100%

Trading back isn't always the move to make.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Fraser may get 9 games, but regardless he would end up back in the 'loops by November.

Which really is a waste of a year of development. There is no benefit playing in CHL to someone like him, in his circumstances. And the AHL - even if it were an option, which it is not - is not really the answer either.

And he isn't as strong as Matthews was, so a pro league in Europe is probably out of the question. although it would have been worth exploring. I should have said something earlier.

Still, the AHL would be better for this particular player under his circumstances than Junior, sadly not allowed.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Fraser may get 9 games, but regardless he would end up back in the 'loops by November.

Which really is a waste of a year of development. There is no benefit playing in CHL to someone like him, in his circumstances. And the AHL - even if it were an option, which it is not - is not really the answer either.

And he isn't as strong as Matthews was, so a pro league in Europe is probably out of the question. although it would have been worth exploring. I should have said something earlier.

Still, the AHL would be better for this particular player under his circumstances than Junior, sadly not allowed.

Eh… this year he has the chance to be on the top line for his WHL team. Kamloops lost some top guys, so Minten gets a big chance to step up in those shoes over a season.

Giving him a year in that role in addition to a year of physical growth could better premium for the rigours of a full pro hockey season. You also want to ensure he’s able to grow his offensive game which doesn’t happen with the Leafs in a lower end role.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Go and dominate, have an excellent WJHC, win a Mem Cup.

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener

I disagree on the AHL, if it were an option, I would like teams to have a buy out option to the CHL. For players that have out grown the junior level for development. Some kind of compensation for the teams

Reactions: uncleben

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He’s looked better than a lot of players during this pre-season and he’s really stood out on the penalty kill. If he’s playing better than guys like Lafferty, Reaves, Robertson, Holmberg, etc I don’t see why you wouldn’t want to keep him up or at least give him the 9 games before making your final decision regardless of his age.

Before pre-season I mentioned I can see him surprising us and playing really well with Jarnkrok so I’m actually excited to see a third line of Knies, Minten and Jarnkrok.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he does make this team, and does stick then you have a real injection of youth on this roster.

Knies 20
Minten 19
Woll 25
Holmberg 24.

Guys that wouldn't be a bad thing there are spots in thi lineup that could use some fresh blood.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I disagree on the AHL, if it were an option, I would like teams to have a buy out option to the CHL. For players that have out grown the junior level for development. Some kind of compensation for the teams
AHL still has too many older players who will lay out unnecessary hits and increase the likelihood of career altering/ending injuries, especially concussions.

More so than the euro pro leagues, which makes them a better fit for someone in Fraser's circumstances.

But those eoro leagues likely don't give him the offensive assignments/pp time that he needs to fully develop. So likely not a viable option.

But yeah, AHL is better fit for Fraser than Junior right now, still not ideal.

Eta: people are reading too much into pre-season, vets are coasting because they are a lock to make the roster. Whether those vets can actually pick it up in regular season <cough Reaves cough> is another matter entirely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3headeddragon

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
AHL still has too many older players who will lay out unnecessary hits and increase the likelihood of career ending injuries, especially concussions.

More so than the euro pro leagues, which makes them a better fit for someone in Fraser's circumstances.

But those eoro leagues likely don't give him the offensive assignments/pp time that he needs to fully develop. So likely not a viable option.

But yeah, AHL is better fit for Fraser than Junior right now, still not ideal.
I believe Minten's style will suit him better there because of structure. The physical play, he is dealing with right now at preseason. To many bad habits can creep in back at juniors, the coaches role. Teams need to have more control over certain developmental skills and provide positive re-enforcement rather than mixed messaging that can come from different systems.

Reactions: I am toxic

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Any realistic shot of him sticking or will this be a short-term look before sending him down?

I do like the idea of him and Knies on a line together. Maybe those two can bring some fresh energy, grit and compete to this group who will badly need it come playoff time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad