Toronto Maple Leafs - 2022 Entry Draft - 2nd Rd Pick (38th OA) - Fraser Minten (C)

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Logic?

Scouting staff identified the players including the most recent draft.

None.

Blind hatred.

I am sure the top picks are approved by the GM and probably scouted to some extent, but it is mostly the staff that does the work.

On another note, yes, Dubas has had tons of bad drafts under him, I wish we had the genius Hunter back.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
None.

Blind hatred.

I am sure the top picks are approved by the GM and probably scouted to some extent, but it is mostly the staff that does the work.

On another note, yes, Dubas has had tons of bad drafts under him, I wish we had the genius Hunter back.
Theres literally video of Dubas discussing trading the Knies pick but scouts were telling him to just take the kid and not move the pick.

Makes me laugh when people claim Knies was a straight up Dubas pick lmao.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Theres literally video of Dubas discussing trading the Knies pick but scouts were telling him to just take the kid and not move the pick.

No one claimed that. I've seen the video, and I know a trade was discussed, this is not new information.

Makes me laugh when people make things up so they can try to prove a point but look foolish in the process.

Dubas trusts his scouts like any good GM would.

The reason we have Cowan is that Treliving trusted his scouts on a reach.

Reactions: thinkblue

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Not the first time Leafs scouts had to protect the Leafs team from a Leafs Dubas desire to trade the pick.

Ironically it might go down that Knies is the best draft pick taken during the Dubas Era and he will get praise and credit for it as one of his better moves as Leafs GM.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Not the first time Leafs scouts had to protect the Leafs team from a Leafs Dubas desire to trade the pick.

Ironically it might go down that Knies is the best draft pick taken during the Dubas Era and he will get praise and credit for it as one of his better moves as Leafs GM.

Protect him? They said they were high on the guy and he trusted his scouts...

It amazes me how often a mod on our board pushes propaganda.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
No one claimed that. I've seen the video, and I know a trade was discussed, this is not new information.

Makes me laugh when people make things up so they can try to prove a point but look foolish in the process.

Dubas trusts his scouts like any good GM would.

The reason we have Cowan is that Treliving trusted his scouts on a reach.
My post was literally a response to someone saying he was a Dubas pick. What did i make up?

Yes knies was picked when Dubas was gm, but after the first round, your GM is not really having much input as to who is getting drafted. They might say target this type of player but thats it. They likely have never seen those players play, and if they have it likely was a one off. This applies to all gm's. Past the first round, your scouts are doing 99% of the work.

Dubas was clearly actively shopping the pick. If he was super high on Knies he would have been counting down the picks and ready to select him as soon as their pick came up. Instead, you have the scouts saying that they are extremely high on this player and that they should take him now.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
My post was literally a response to someone saying he was a Dubas pick. What did i make up?

Yes knies was picked when Dubas was gm, but after the first round, your GM is not really having much input as to who is getting drafted. They might say target this type of player but thats it. They likely have never seen those players play, and if they have it likely was a one off. This applies to all gm's. Past the first round, your scouts are doing 99% of the work.

Dubas was clearly actively shopping the pick. If he was super high on Knies he would have been counting down the picks and ready to select him as soon as their pick came up. Instead, you have the scouts saying that they are extremely high on this player and that they should take him now.

"Makes me laugh when people claim Knies was a straight up Dubas pick lmao."

You wrote this, which he is a Dubas pick.

Was Dubas GM? No GM picks without their scouting staff, and the GM puts their scouting staff in place.

If you are just saying that the scouting staff does the scouting... obviously, this didn't need a post.

The people liking your post are the same ones who complain about Dubas drafting small players... can't have it bother ways.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I like the Toronto Maple Leafs. I want them to succeed. I wanted them to succeed, and for Dubas to succeed, when he was GM. I want them to succeed now, and for both the team and Treliving to succeed at his job. Not because I like Dubas, or Treliving, but because I want the Toronto Maple Leafs to win. I want our players and prospects to succeed... whether they were Lou, Hunter, Dubas or Treliving picks, signings or trades. Really, I don't care who made them part of this org, I just want them to succeed, all of them.

But, for some people they are personal vested in some sort of weird obsession with discrediting past or present GM's... it's really weird.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I like the Toronto Maple Leafs. I want them to succeed. I wanted them to succeed, and for Dubas to succeed, when he was GM. I want them to succeed now, and for both the team and Treliving to succeed at his job. Not because I like Dubas, or Treliving, but because I want the Toronto Maple Leafs to win. I want our players and prospects to succeed... whether they were Lou, Hunter, Dubas or Treliving picks, signings or trades. Really, I don't care who made them part of this org, I just want them to succeed, all of them.

But, for some people they are personal vested in some sort of weird obsession with discrediting past or present GM's... it's really weird.
Amen to that.

Reactions: Rocker13

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Minten's game translates better in pros than junior

I've been impressed every time I've seen him in Leafs uniform.

On his way to becoming a Physical 2-way center

In JR he wasn't the primary go-to guy for offense and he was smart enough to round out his game.

I just struggle to find a way to fit him on the roster

Although Klingberg may get on the ice soon per Keefe but that's basically zero spares and a problem once Timmins returns.

1696443728158.png

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010

What the hell kind of slant are you trying to put down here? The video looks exactly how one would expect a draft war room to look. The GM lined up deals prior to his draft slot then compared those offers to the player scouts liked….. and then he listened to his scouts… not sure what you’re trying to sell here

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
"Makes me laugh when people claim Knies was a straight up Dubas pick lmao."

You wrote this, which he is a Dubas pick.

Was Dubas GM? No GM picks without their scouting staff, and the GM puts their scouting staff in place.

If you are just saying that the scouting staff does the scouting... obviously, this didn't need a post.

The people liking your post are the same ones who complain about Dubas drafting small players... can't have it bother ways.
Exactly. Any draft success and failure lies on the GM's shoulders publicly. Blaming Dubas for a bad draft and then saying a successful draft was because of his scouting staff is revisionist behaviour.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Who gets credit for picks has no relevance to us as fans, all that matters is that they are Leafs players. Those inside the organization can worry about who made what call and when.

Reactions: Duffman955

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
What the hell kind of slant are you trying to put down here? The video looks exactly how one would expect a draft war room to look. The GM lined up deals prior to his draft slot then compared those offers to the player scouts liked….. and then he listened to his scouts… not sure what you’re trying to sell here
That Knies wasn't just a "dubas pick". Man was still contemplating trading the pick when the time to pick came. Again, pretty much any spec past the first round your gm is barely gunna know, especially one not in a tanking season.

Didn't think it was that difficult to follow. He listened to what the scouts told him to do, good stuff.

This gripe doesn't just apply to dubas either, same shit when people give yzerman all the props in the world for finding point in the 3rd round. He likely barely even knew who he was. But I guess thats how it all works. The guys putting in the actual work finding these players barely ever get praise while the gm gets it all.

/rant

Back on topic. I think it would be crazy if Minten made the team as 3C this year, but I guess the Leafs are pretty desperate for one. Hes been good so far but the regular season is much different and i think it would be best for him to at least spend another year developing outside of the nhl.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
That Knies wasn't just a "dubas pick". Man was still contemplating trading the pick when the time to pick came. Again, pretty much any spec past the first round your gm is barely gunna know, especially one not in a tanking season.

Didn't think it was that difficult to follow. He listened to what the scouts told him to do, good stuff.

This gripe doesn't just apply to dubas either, same shit when people give yzerman all the props in the world for finding point in the 3rd round. He likely barely even knew who he was. But I guess thats how it all works. The guys putting in the actual work finding these players barely ever get praise while the gm gets it all.

/rant

Back on topic. I think it would be crazy if Minten made the team as 3C this year, but I guess the Leafs are pretty desperate for one. Hes been good so far but the regular season is much different and i think it would be best for him to at least spend another year developing outside of the nhl.
Sure, I just don’t see the point I’m hand wringing over dubas entertaining moving the pickz that’s literally his job. Also who’s to say they didn’t think they could slide back and still get Knies? There’s nothing wrong with a team using its draft pick clock to talk out and asses various outcomes before making a decision.
It would be foolhardy not to

Reactions: kb

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Sure, I just don’t see the point I’m hand wringing over dubas entertaining moving the pickz that’s literally his job. Also who’s to say they didn’t think they could slide back and still get Knies? There’s nothing wrong with a team using its draft pick clock to talk out and asses various outcomes before making a decision.
Clearly the scouts didnt think this would happen lmao.

"They clearly feel strong about the player and want to do the pick to do the pick."
"I concur with Brandon I'd make the pick. If these guys are that high on it, I'd do it."

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I think Friedman said Knies was going the next pick to Pittsburgh if he was on the board.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Clearly the scouts didnt think this would happen lmao.
Which is why dubas said let’s make the pick. He pitched the trade back offers and the various outcomes of that (Knies still on the board or who else is available) Vs just taking the pick then and there.
Still don’t see what OP was whinging about

I think Friedman said Knies was going the next pick to Pittsburgh if he was on the board.
Then the GM and scouting dept. made the right call after assessing all avenues.
Isn’t that what we hope they’re doing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad