Toronto Argonauts Thread

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Toronto Argonauts wide receiver Kurleigh Gittens Jr.’s road to being nominated for the Canadian Football League’s Most Outstanding Canadian began in a different country and later with flags instead of pads.

Born in Guyana, Gittens Jr. moved to Canada when he was nine-years-old, starting a new life alongside his family in Ottawa. It was there that he found and fell in love with football.

"I really started with flag football, just because I was fast and it was a new area for me," the 25-year-old Gittens told TSN.

"So it (football) was kind of a way for me to meet some friends. One of my buddies played for the Cumberland Panthers (a team in the National Capital Amateur Football Association), and he was like, 'Man, you should come on and try,' because I'm fast. And I liked [the] touch football that we played together in elementary school, so then I asked my pops, and he said, 'Yeah. If that's what you want to do, you can go ahead and try it.' And ever since then I just kind of fell in love with the game of football."

Gittens' new-found love of football led him to Wilfred Laurier University, where he starred as a wide receiver and returner for the Golden Hawks. And while Gittens received offers to stay closer to home, he jumped at the opportunity to head to Waterloo, Ont., to learn more about football and himself.

"One hundred per cent I wouldn't change [a] thing, to be honest with you," said Gittens on leaving home. "It allows you to grow on your own, grow into the person that you want to be. You're not always gonna have your parents around always for help. Sometimes you got to just figure stuff out on your own. And I feel like living away from my parents for those years allowed me to grow into the person that I am trying to become."

After spending four seasons as a Golden Hawk (2015-18), Gittens left the program as the leading receiver in school history. He caught 200 balls in 31 regular season games and scored 15 touchdowns. During the 2017 season, fresh off a Yates Cup title in 2016, Gittens caught a USPORTS-record 75 passes for 953 yards in eight games and was named the Ontario University Athletics' MVP.

"It really taught me [that] if I really love this that I'm putting in the work that I need to put in," said Gittens reflecting on what he learned about his game at Laurier. "It just allowed me just to grow as [an] overall football player because I had to work there as well [and] still find time to train and stuff. So it was a really, really good experience overall for my growth as a football player."

Gittens was selected by the Argonauts with the 23rd overall pick in the 2019 CFL Draft as he embarked on yet another transition in his football life. He moved from a college town to the bright lights of Toronto and BMO Field. He credits his girlfriend for making the move so seamless.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
someone was telling me if Toronto ever has a chance to get an NFL team it will never happen as long as the Argos are in Toronto.
so I hope they find a new city. even if the chance of a NFL team coming to Toronto is 5% I'd rather that then the Argos. I mean seriously who the hell cares about the inferior football league CFL

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
Our offense was firing on all cylinders at one point this game was a blowout, but the Als always seem to keep the games tight against us. The number of yards are defense gave up is kind of concerning but as long as we keep scoring points we should be fine. Off to the Grey Cup! Argos always seem to come up big when it comes to the Grey Cup game.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
someone was telling me if Toronto ever has a chance to get an NFL team it will never happen as long as the Argos are in Toronto.
so I hope they find a new city. even if the chance of a NFL team coming to Toronto is 5% I'd rather that then the Argos. I mean seriously who the hell cares about the inferior football league CFL
A lot of people do. It's a good league

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Real Canadians want the CFL.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
What a game! GREY CUP Here we come baby!

Took the whole family out and the kids suffered through some cold feet (should have worn winter boots LOL), but it was well worth it. The atmosphere was amazing... that's one thing about Argo games: Most fans that go really really care. I love seeing all the characters in the stadium decked out and dressed up. Did anyone catch the guy in the endzone stand in some green leaf type costume? Couldn't really make out what he was as our seats were opposite end, but it looked interesting.

Shouts out to Bethel, Gittens, Banks, Muamba, Harris and Oullette for some amazing performances. I thought Oullette and Harris were used perfectly in tandem and were a real threat all game long. Best moment for me was that play call on 3rd and short where Chad Kelly threw for a TD. Stroke of genius that caught Montreal totally off guard.

If they play like that next week and Defence steps up a bit, then i like our odds.

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
What a game! GREY CUP Here we come baby!

Took the whole family out and the kids suffered through some cold feet (should have worn winter boots LOL), but it was well worth it. The atmosphere was amazing... that's one thing about Argo games: Most fans that go really really care. I love seeing all the characters in the stadium decked out and dressed up. Did anyone catch the guy in the endzone stand in some green leaf type costume? Couldn't really make out what he was as our seats were opposite end, but it looked interesting.

Shouts out to Bethel, Gittens, Banks, Muamba, Harris and Oullette for some amazing performances. I thought Oullette and Harris were used perfectly in tandem and were a real threat all game long. Best moment for me was that play call on 3rd and short where Chad Kelly threw for a TD. Stroke of genius that caught Montreal totally off guard.

If they play like that next week and Defence steps up a bit, then i like our odds.
Glad you had a great time. They showed the green leaf guy after the game or near the end of it. It was hilarious.

Reactions: fancy lad

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Interesting game so far. The D going to win or lose the game for either team today, didn't quite expect it to be so low scoring

Looks cold.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
offence is frustrating. They can play so much better. Some bad throws but also some bad dropped passes. Bede should have hit his second FG.

good thing it’s a close game so far… we’re totally in this. Jjust gotta tighten up of offence.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I didn't expect this late lead or that interception. I think Collaros lost his train of thought. He looks rattled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad