Toronto Argonauts Thread

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
CHAMPIONS BABY!!!

What a game. What a finish. A little too much drama for my liking my fingernails took a beating.

I still can’t believe some of what happened. The FG blocks, the defence coming up huge, Chad Kelly stepping up! I knew he had it in him, he’s always looked good in the short time he’s seen the field. I wonder how hurt bethel actually was. Its just weird that Kelly gets put in for the pretty much the first time all season in relief In the most important game.

so happy for henoc muamba. What an emotional post game speech. Also so happy for AJ Oullette. I didn’t realize he was cut from the team earlier in the season. He’s an incredible player. Probably my favourite Argo.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
How someone can watch that game and say they don't like it I don't know.
Had everything we love about it
It's funny because you'll get the NFL "snob" crowd that can't understand why someone likes CFL. I often compare it to NBA vs NCAA. One has the better talent yet in both cases, I frequently find myself enjoying the GAME more at the lower level.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Congrats to the Argos. This was a great game that exemplified why the CFL should never disappear. It’s a game that is quintessentially Canadian. I like the three downs because there are so many changes of possession. It was great to see Rider fans dressed in green and blue and support the game. Westerners have kept the CFL alive and relevant.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The Toronto Argos are taking the Grey Cup party to the streets.

After Sunday night’s hectic Grey Cup win, the Argonauts are hosting a championship rally at Maple Leaf Square on the morning of Thursday, November 24.

Maple Leaf Square, also known to Toronto Raptors fans as Jurassic Park, is located at the rear of Scotiabank Arena, at the intersection of York Street and Bremner Boulevard.

“Fans are encouraged to arrive at 11 a.m. to take advantage of all the action,” an MLSE statement wrote, though the action is expected to get underway at noon and go until 1 pm.

Due to the classic Toronto combination of limited parking, road closures, and heavy construction in the area, fans are also encouraged to take either the TTC or the Go train to nearby Union Station.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clark4Ever

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The next leaf president
Yep, might as well have a football guy running our Leafs. Obviously, having a hockey guy like Shanahan has failed to build a team in the image that he played hockey!!!

Fire Shanahan!

Reactions: fancy lad

horner

May 22, 2007
Yep, might as well have a football guy running our Leafs. Obviously, having a hockey guy like Shanahan has failed to build a team in the image that he played hockey!!!

Fire Shanahan!
Pinball wins

Reactions: Al14

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Attention now turns to the 34-year-old quarterback’s future, with rumours swirling around his potential retirement throughout the playoffs. Bethel-Thompson gave no creedence to that speculation throughout Grey Cup week but admitted post-game that discussions would be happening with those closest to him.

“The most important thing right now is for me to go home and be with my family. I gotta talk with my wife and my daughter, it has been a really hard year after being apart in two different countries,” he said. “So I would love to play more football in my future, I think I’ve got a lot of great years playing football (left in me), but the number one thing is I want to go home and hug my wife Chinaka and go hug my baby girl Aziza. I love them so much and I hope they’re watching.”

“I love you guys, you are the reason why I play football, so thank you. Thank you for giving me this time in a different country to go chase my dream. Thank you for making all the sacrifices you did all year.”

Bethel-Thompson led the CFL in passing yards in 2022, completing 387-of-579 passes for 4,731 yards, 23 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. In five seasons with the Argonauts, he has thrown for 13,261 yards, 70 touchdowns and 49 interception — good enough for fourth all-time in the franchise’s passing record book behind Ricky Ray, Conredge Holloway and Damon Allen.

The Argos’ future under centre will be a topic of heavy discussion this offseason, with Kelly’s Grey Cup heroism potentially changing his timeline to become a starter and future Hall of Famer Bo Levi Mitchell also on the market. Nevertheless, head coach Ryan Dinwiddie focused his attention on Bethel-Thompson post-game and expressed a strong desire to see him return.

“I’m so happy for McLeod. He’s cemented his legacy a little bit, he’s a Grey Cup-winning quarterback,” Dinwiddie said. “I don’t know what the future holds for him and I know him and his wife, she’s got a job and he wants to kind of help her out. I hope he comes back. I love that guy, he’s fought through adversity and had a lot of critics that I don’t think were fair.”

While the call to further silence his critics will be powerful, the call of home may be stronger. His wife, Chinaka Hodge, is currently serving as headwriter for an upcoming Marvel series on Disney+ called Ironheart, a demanding profession that require plenty of assistance on the home front. As a result, many around the league have said they would not be surprised in Bethel-Thompson steps away.

Leaving on the high of a Grey Cup victory would be a better swan song than most, though the quarterback does disagree with his head coach about the impact of the game on how he’ll be remembered.

“My legacy is not for me to decide,” Bethel-Thompson insisted. “I just appreciate my brothers coming together. What we have to deal with on a week-to-week basis, just getting to practice, getting into our facility; we all bought into something special.”

Reactions: fancy lad

blue stick

Jan 28, 2019
It must have been very hard for Rider fans with tickets to the Grey Cup game to choose between cheering for the Bombers or the Argos or neither!
Oh they were cheering for the Argos, they didn’t want their team’s home dressing room to be sullied with Bomber champagne, lol

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
It's funny because you'll get the NFL "snob" crowd that can't understand why someone likes CFL. I often compare it to NBA vs NCAA. One has the better talent yet in both cases, I frequently find myself enjoying the GAME more at the lower level.
You can't really compare the NBA vs NCAA. The NCAA is a feeder league for the NBA. A better comparison would be a pro league vs pro league. Serie A vs English Primier, NHL vs KHL. If you're a football fan, you should love all football.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

How can you not love this guy?

The only Cup the SBA is going to see in a long time, amirite? :sarcasm:

I keep saying it, but I wish I got into the Argos again more than just a passing interest. Of course, I'll watch the Grey Cup, but to actually follow during the year and root them on. I was a huge fan in the late 80s and early 90s, and would go to 2 or 3 games a year. Don't see why I can't do that now, since they are playing at a better stadium as well.

Maybe I'll take my son next year to take in a game or two. Reinvigorate an old fan, and add a new fan. Any support the Argos can get along the way and bring new fans to the team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The only Cup the SBA is going to see in a long time, amirite? :sarcasm:

I keep saying it, but I wish I got into the Argos again more than just a passing interest. Of course, I'll watch the Grey Cup, but to actually follow during the year and root them on. I was a huge fan in the late 80s and early 90s, and would go to 2 or 3 games a year. Don't see why I can't do that now, since they are playing at a better stadium as well.

Maybe I'll take my son next year to take in a game or two. Reinvigorate an old fan, and add a new fan. Any support the Argos can get along the way and bring new fans to the team.
You should, cheap sport entertainment.
I go to a bunch of TiCat games every year, it's a good time.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021

Honestly you need to follow up on your own advice. You will not regret it.

This was me at the start of the season. I have always been a peripheral CFL fan (never been an NFL fan mind you) and would tune in to the odd game, grey cups, etc. I enjoyed the Argos in the past. Well this year i made a point to support them. Took my wife and 3 daughters to a game back in the summer and everyone had such a good time. Argos lost, but it didn't really matter. We were all entertained and the kids liked it. They enjoyed it more than the Blue Jays game they went to the week before. Since then my 8 year old has really taken to watching the games with me. All in all we went to 3 games this year including the east final (which was incredible). I'll be taking her out of school so we can go to the celebration rally on thursday.

One thing to keep in mind is the Argos are for sure the best value for live sports. i can take my whole family to the game for the price of a single Raptors ticket. And honestly there are so many likeable players on the Argos: Mcleod bethel thompson, Henoc Muamba, AJ Oullette, Davaris Daniels, Gittens Jr, etc, and then you have a guy like Pinball running the show... It's a shame that the Argos aren't better supported in this town. A town that has always gotten behind hard work and lunch pail type sports personalities.

So yeah... take your own advice and go to some games next year. you won't regret it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad