Toronto Argonauts Thread

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Well thats good but this whole thing is a bad look on the organization.

Agreed. Like I agree with the thought process of getting our starting QB’s face out there promoting the big game, God knows the CFL needs any and all kinds of help in way of promotion, but man how do you not clear that stunt with the league first? Yeah the rule is pretty dumb but it still exists. Fortunate the CFL is being merciful.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Like I agree with the thought process of getting our starting QB’s face out there promoting the big game, God knows the CFL needs any and all kinds of help in way of promotion, but man how do you not clear that stunt with the league first? Yeah the rule is pretty dumb but it still exists. Fortunate the CFL is being merciful.
agreed !

Tigers: eat ‘em raw.

Reactions: cyris

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Agreed. Like I agree with the thought process of getting our starting QB’s face out there promoting the big game, God knows the CFL needs any and all kinds of help in way of promotion, but man how do you not clear that stunt with the league first? Yeah the rule is pretty dumb but it still exists. Fortunate the CFL is being merciful.

the league has been "merciful" with the argos far too often.

they breach salary cap and get a small fine....

they cheat and hire too many coaches...

it's amazing for an organization who is considered the premiere joke in the CFL, the amount of special consideration they get is .... insane.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How many Canadians do you think follow the CFL ?

I watch the Argos if they are in the Grey Cup but that's about it.

I watched them more when Gretzky & Co. owned them.

It's a regional thing. like in Western Canada it's a lot more popular/present in the general public minds than it is say in Ontario.

Reactions: colchar

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
CFL is huge in Hamilton and Ottawa. (more popular than the Sens). Out west (aside from Vancouver) CFL is life.

It's just the "we are too cool" city of Toronto that doesn't see the CFL as a premiere league.

Toronto is the only city that thinks being in the XFL is better than the CFL. Toronto's willingness to be cuckolded to get access to the US marketplace is ... well ... unfortunate.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Five Argos' players status in question for Eastern Final after Raptors game - The Comeback

Sunday’s Canadian Football League Eastern Final could be heavily impacted by five Toronto Argonauts players attending a Toronto Raptors’ NBA game Thursday. Five players appeared at that game: starting quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson, starting defensive halfback Jeff Richards, LB Dexter McCoil, DE Charleston Hughes, and WR Llevi Noel. Under the CFL protocols announced at the start of this year, those players would have missed Sunday’s playoff game against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. But the CFL announced Friday that while this is a significant violation, they’ll require the players to undergo intensive quarantining and testing, but will not ban them from playing if they continuously test negative.

The primary impact here is around Thompson and Richards, as Noel and McCoil are on the six-game injured list and Hughes is on the one-game injured list. But those are two big pieces, and the availability of Thompson in particular is a big deal. At the very best, the Argos will now be starting him without him receiving the benefit of the last two days of walkthroughs. And if he comes up with a positive test, that means that their starter is now Antonio Pipkin.

Still, that decision is much lighter than the punishment would have been under an unmodified version of the CFL’s COVID protocols, and that’s creating some controversy in its own right. And there’s some logic to that. It’s somewhat unfair to the players who have been following the rules all season and the players who did wind up ruled out under COVID protocols that these five players are getting away with a less severe penalty than what was previously announced. And with this particular decision favoring the Argos, the “the league office is trying to help the Argos!” dialogue is already back in force.

However, this does seem like the best possible decision the CFL could have come up with in an exceptionally trying situation. One of the challenges with the COVID-19 pandemic is that the situation has repeatedly changed drastically over the past two years, and that different jurisdictions have come up with incredibly different rules (and also frequently changed their own rules). That’s led to issues in the U.S. as well, where the vaccination status of players like Kyrie Irving and Andrew Wiggins has become a big deal specifically because they play in areas requiring vaccinations for many indoor events, whereas they could play for other teams without problems (at home, at least).

Last edited:

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
"almost"

could you imagine this board.

NHL Conference Final. Game 7. Player on opposing team breaks a rule set forth at the beginning of season. Rule says if you break me, you have to quarantine for 4 days. Fine.

Earlier in the season a "leaf player" breaks the rule, and the 4 day quarantine is assessed - player misses game. Fine.

However, this time the opponent who breaks the rule, and such shouldn't be allowed to play the game 7 (game within 4 days) - the league makes an exception. Changes the rule. Says ok, you only have to quarantine for two days and two nights - not four.

You can still play the conference championship.

If that happened in the NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB, it would break the god damned internet.

But here, because it's Toronto, the CFL changes the rules so QB can play.

Absolutely despicable!!!

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
"almost"

could you imagine this board.

NHL Conference Final. Game 7. Player on opposing team breaks a rule set forth at the beginning of season. Rule says if you break me, you have to quarantine for 4 days. Fine.

Earlier in the season a "leaf player" breaks the rule, and the 4 day quarantine is assessed - player misses game. Fine.

However, this time the opponent who breaks the rule, and such shouldn't be allowed to play the game 7 (game within 4 days) - the league makes an exception. Changes the rule. Says ok, you only have to quarantine for two days and two nights - not four.

You can still play the conference championship.

If that happened in the NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB, it would break the god damned internet.

But here, because it's Toronto, the CFL changes the rules so QB can play.

Absolutely despicable!!!
Who cares. The Ti-Cats don’t want to win that way.
If he tests negative he should play, I want to see the best game possible this Sunday.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
right.

i'm all about changing rules.

for sure.

I bet if it was the situation I described, and the opposing player was the goalie (similar to a QB), this Leafs fanboard would be saying the same thing. "Who Cares?" "I just want to see the best game possible"....

Right.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
right.

i'm all about changing rules.

for sure.

I bet if it was the situation I described, and the opposing player was the goalie (similar to a QB), this Leafs fanboard would be saying the same thing. "Who Cares?" "I just want to see the best game possible"....

Right.
I’m a Ti-Cats seasons ticket holder…..

I hope they win and I see them live in the Grey Cup next weekend but I don’t want anything being taken away from that victory if it comes.

Reactions: ACC1224

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I get it.

So am I.

and not for a second do I think it's ok to change the rules just cause "I want the best game possible".

What about when Davis missed our game because he broke the rule, and had to sit out for four days?

It's absolute horse crap. Through and through.

and if it happened in any other sport, even NCAA football, people would be losing their minds....

Reactions: Melrose Munch

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I get it.

So am I.

and not for a second do I think it's ok to change the rules just cause "I want the best game possible".

What about when Davis missed our game because he broke the rule, and had to sit out for four days?

It's absolute horse crap. Through and through.

and if it happened in any other sport, even NCAA football, people would be losing their minds....
Winning a championship is hard. If we can’t beat the Argos at their best we certainly aren’t going to beat the Bombers next week.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I truly get it. I do.

but none of that makes it right.

I have my GC tickets. I was also in Toronto two weeks ago and will be there again Sunday. I want nothing more than for the Cats to playing next week. But changing rules to benefit a team, even if it is our team, isn't acceptable.

It's mickey mouse.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
CFL is huge in Hamilton and Ottawa. (more popular than the Sens). Out west (aside from Vancouver) CFL is life.

It's just the "we are too cool" city of Toronto that doesn't see the CFL as a premiere league.

Toronto is the only city that thinks being in the XFL is better than the CFL. Toronto's willingness to be cuckolded to get access to the US marketplace is ... well ... unfortunate.
I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that the CFL has a hell of a lot more to compete against inside the city of Toronto then you thinking Toronto has some weird fetish with appeasing the US lol.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Also they might have broken protocol but the protocol is f***ing stupid. They went to a sporting event...while vaccinated where everyone at said event was also vaccinated and because of that they have to be put in quarantine? I am sorry but there is no world that is actually based in any semblance of logic. I am pretty sure I read that a Riders player hit the bars after a win ended up in the drunk tank and that didn't break protocol lol. Organization was stupid for not realizing they were risking 5 starters for publicity appearance. The CFL looks like fools for having a moronic Covid protocol.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I truly get it. I do.

but none of that makes it right.

I have my GC tickets. I was also in Toronto two weeks ago and will be there again Sunday. I want nothing more than for the Cats to playing next week. But changing rules to benefit a team, even if it is our team, isn't acceptable.

It's mickey mouse.
I get where you’re coming from. If a league sets rules they should follow them.

Its probably just the circumstances of the situation that stops any outrage for me. This isn’t a player who chose to be irresponsible. The Argos made a mistake and asked him to go to the Raptors game to promote interest in the East final.
I don’t think anyone had bad intentions here.

The Argos definitely deserve to get a fine tho. I have no idea how the organization screwed up this badly.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that the CFL has a hell of a lot more to compete against inside the city of Toronto then you thinking Toronto has some weird fetish with appeasing the US lol.

then why do I hear from the kids on this board, and others, that the Argos should leave the CFL and join the XFL?

In what land is the XFL a premiere league over the CFL?

Oh, I know. It's in the USA.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
then why do I hear from the kids on this board, and others, that the Argos should leave the CFL and join the XFL?

In what land is the XFL a premiere league over the CFL?

Oh, I know. It's in the USA.
I mean I don't think the Argos in the XFL would be any different then they are in the CFL which is a blip on the sports radar in the city. Which is my point. There are 4 teams that are at all times more talked about and have more focus on them. They are the only CFL market that has that kind of stiff in market competition. It really isn't hard to figure out why the Argos have struggled.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Also they might have broken protocol but the protocol is f***ing stupid. They went to a sporting event...while vaccinated where everyone at said event was also vaccinated and because of that they have to be put in quarantine? I am sorry but there is no world that is actually based in any semblance of logic. I am pretty sure I read that a Riders player hit the bars after a win ended up in the drunk tank and that didn't break protocol lol. Organization was stupid for not realizing they were risking 5 starters for publicity appearance. The CFL looks like fools for having a moronic Covid protocol.

for the riders situation the 4 day period quarantine period, after the drunk tank, didn't include another game.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I mean I don't think the Argos in the XFL would be any different then they are in the CFL which is a blip on the sports radar in the city. Which is my point. There are 4 teams that are at all times more talked about and have more focus on them. They are the only CFL market that has that kind of stiff in market competition. It really isn't hard to figure out why the Argos have struggled.

Or maybe it is because the ownership group doesn't care.

This photo from the MLSE office says IT ALL!!!

mlse_office487.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad