Confirmed with Link: [TOR/WPG] TOR trades Par Lindholm to WPG for Nic Petan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Leafs are the 2nd best team in hockey.

What metric you using to get 2nd best? They are 3rd in their division and 5th in the league, so statistically they aren’t 2nd

And objectively Winnipeg, Tampa, Nashville are all considered better

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Gotta loves Babs post game "would love to have a Hyman on each line, but they just don't make them that way" lol

I love Hyman and his engine, don't get me wrong, but I would hate to have one on each line.... oh Babs lol

There are many Hyman engines in the league, and ones that pot a far greater amount of points, they make lot's of them
Those Hyman's would then cost a first round pick and plus probably.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
What metric you using to get 2nd best? They are 3rd in their division and 5th in the league, so statistically they aren’t 2nd

So you are staying 4th best team in the league he's saying 2 not to far off.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We really don't have to move $10,750,00 (Marleau + Kadri) in order to sign Kappy and AJ at "fair market value". It's a lot closer moving Brown + letting Hainsey walk.

Like I said in the example scenario , there is a trade that brings back a d-man, that assumes he is getting paid, you have to move cap space for him too.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I don't see the gap being that big. Alot of president trophy winners don't win the cup. Leafs have the most room for internal growth still as well.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
I don't get your point. Hockey depends on luck, so if we're too soft we'll definitely see a quick exit?

What do you think makes us soft?
I'm not quoting or disagreeing with you, just adding on the guys post. I feel some fans are at the extreme end of the grit and size of the team and its crazy. I can understand wanting it but some have given up any chance in the playoffs because of it. Its beyond crazy to think like that I just don't get it. Anyways...

I don't think we're soft but I would like some more finish checks from some guys. I know he isn't that type but I do wish Mathew played the body more, rather then the flyby stick lift, Marner does it more then him. The way he played against Montreal was better in my books, needs to use his size more for puck battles, also Big G needs to do it as well with his size.

As for Boston I don't know why people keep thinking their the big bad Bruins of old for. They have some role players that finish checks but we won't lose because of those players or their size, they are not even that big and bad no more minus you know who. If we lose, it will be because of their skill guys or us breaking just like how we lost before and that's when they were actually the big bad Bruins.

Would I like a Josh Anderson, Chris kreider or young Simmons sprinkle in our lineup, yes but just because we don't won't change my mind that we can and will beat Boston this year.

Not just one way to skin a cat, sometimes it just takes a young team to grow their game to beat their nemesis, just like the bulls did to the big bad pistons. I think we take that step this year and I plan to bet big if the odds are good.

Last edited:
Reactions: kb and Nithoniniel

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Perfect? No. Nobody is.
However, I highly recommend they eliminate the portions (Montreal,Buffalo) 1st period or those type of stretches from their game or they won’t be getting past Boston.
Why? Our track record suggests that we should be more concerned about how we FINISH games against Boston in the playoffs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Or you manipulate the roster so he's forced to play who you want

You can't overuse somebody not on the roster, it's sneaky but effective

not a healthy way to run a team long-term though.

Reactions: kb

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

regulation wins (3rd) + goal differential (3rd) + strength of schedule (CAL is feasting on an awful conference and division)

Last edited:

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
We are 5th, and there is a big gap. Tampa and Nashville are way better. Not saying we aren’t contenders but we aren’t close to 2nd best

Have you actually watched Nashville this year? They don't have a gap over any other team for 2nd. They also have one less point in 3 more games, and that's with Toronto slumping since January.

Tampa is far and away the best. Toronto, Nashville, Winnipeg, and Boston are all hovering around 2nd. Calgary and San Jose are right there as well, and based on points Calgary is currently the best team in the West and 2nd in the league.

Theres a decent debate that Toronto isn't the 2nd best (I'd put them around 4th because of consistency,) but I strongly disagree that Nashville has any kind of separation over any team for 2nd.

Edit: even Nashville's ROW is unimpressive. 3 less than Toronto and 4 less than Calgary in 3 more games.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Yep. I like him as a cheap depth option going forward. Likely more of a winger than a centre. Not expecting much from him as this point in time but he has a bit of upside.
He was younger then Johnson when he went ppg in the A. So some pedigree when it comes to comparative scoring in lower levels. A little bit of yoyoing in Peg for a couple season both league and lineup got his stock sinking to where he is at now. He is a winger there not much probably in that question. But yeah maybe he fills ennis role next season and go from there.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
some of you guys are forgetting we are gonna lose bodies after this year. Petan gives us another body that could compete for a roster spot next year. He was point per game in the ahl. thats more important then the late round pick some suggested are a better asset going forward.
I sneeze at your foresight and perspective, sir!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Pretty much all teams have bad stretches of play though.
I don’t like the way we’ve played despite the wins.
And I’m concerned that the team (and the fans because it’s happening) think they can play 20 minutes and win based on that.

Not in the playoffs. We will be down 3-0 to Boston in that kind of 1st period and not recover.

It’s correctable. And I’d feel better if we did.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
gm can't tell the coach which players to play.

he can try to convince him, though.
Why would he want to do that?

Like the Maitre'd telling the Chef how to cook.

Leafs are the 2nd best team in hockey.

Anything less than a Conference final appearance will be a disappointment?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Tampa Bay and Nashville sure.

Not sure what Winnipeg has done to be considered objectively better. We are ahead in the standings and have more wins in a tough Conference. Nearly double the goal differential.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

Well thanks to the NHLs playoff format the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the East likely won't make it past round two, and start round one playing each other. Losing in the first round would be a big disappointment though.

Reactions: ACC1224

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don’t like the way we’ve played despite the wins.
And I’m concerned that the team (and the fans because it’s happening) think they can play 20 minutes and win based on that.

Not in the playoffs. We will be down 3-0 to Boston in that kind of 1st period and not recover.

It’s correctable. And I’d feel better if we did.
I mean, I don't disagree. But I've also seen Boston have periods where pretty much nobody but Bergeron shows up, and it puts them in a bad spot. I've seen the Jets have periods so bad that it seemed that all anyone needed to do was take a couple of strides to get some speed and they would burn straight through the defense. Overall, out of the worst periods I've seen this season from a top team, about half might be ours. That sounds bad, but I've also seen every single bad game we've played but far from that for the other top teams.

So in the end, we really do need to make sure we don't hand away games early. But that's a correction a lot of teams have to make and generally do make for the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
regulation wins (3rd) + goal differential (3rd) + strength of schedule (CAL is feasting on an awful conference and division)

Those criteria are somewhat arbitrary IMO but OK. I'd say TB is the best, then there's a huge gap to the next group of teams. We're in that next group but the group is so tightly packed that it seems a bit arrogant for anyone to say that we're "the best" of that group. Goal differential is nice (and is something I keep an eye on myself) but if it doesn't translate into wins, what good is it?

Most importantly though - if we're so good, why has Boston out-performed us by a substantial margin over the last 2 months? It looks like we're headed to play Boston in the 1st round again and ATM, I'm not sure I see a good case for saying we're better than they are. It's close but objectively I might have to give Boston the edge here based on their experience, especially if they have home edge against us.

Reactions: dsred and ACC1224

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

A GM should be a wee bit more qualified for the art ofnteam building than a maitre'd is for the art of cooking.

losing to anyone other than tampa would be a disappointment, yeah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad