Confirmed with Link: TOR sign G Ilya Samsonov to 1 year, 1.8M deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Clearly Samsonov is okay with it if he signed.
He's looking at this thinking (even if he doesn't say it out loud) "Murray sucks, I can easily win this starting job." Murray no doubt thinks the opposite.

I've been in these situations in juniors. Both as a de-facto starter and as the supportive backup and life was good. We all knew our roles. When the other goalie and I didn't know our place it was mental hell on both of us

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I am a bit worried about this

Murray had a .906
Samsonov at a .896

On one hand, we have upside, if either hit we have a starting goalie but I’m still skeptical about either

Reactions: Brown Dog

weems

Jul 3, 2008
More than fine with taking a risk on this type of talent that's still young.

Our goaltending has some definite risk involved but the upside is very good.

Our depth forwards are what need to be addressed. I think we need some increased speed, physicality and versatility amongst those spots.

Reactions: Morgs

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
This guy was once Washington's top prospect and future in net, yet they walked away from him for nothing. Even guys like Georgiev and Venecek got some picks in return. That's a huge red flag

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
wait wait wait wait wait.

Players can be traded/signed after July 11th? I thought that was the cut off. Thats how it felt around here with everyone crying for 2+ days.

ChiTownLeafer

From Toronto to Chicago
Dec 26, 2011
Chicago, IL
Any chance we can snag Comrie also? It's inevitable that Murray goes down, would be nice to have Comrie as the 3rd stringer. But this is definitely a luxury.

Reactions: Puckstuff

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Sure, that's exactly what I said. You don't have to give Dubas credit for, in all likelihood, overpaying for two mediocre goalies.
Oh I’m not giving him credit, he’s scrambling to fill the crease and we’re taking two guys with huge warts, but at this stage I just want something with experience as a backup or 1A. This guy isn’t ideal by any means, he’s a head case and it could go sideaways quick in this market.

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
Two guys who are younger than the more expensive options, and have pedigree.

They could both suck, but if just one of them hits and plays well (and not like elite, i'm talking AVERAGE goaltending - something the Leafs didn't even get from January onward last year) - the team is absolutely fine.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not Qualifying Samsonov was a mistake because I believe he has trade value, so he qualify him and trade him.

Washington must be so focused on Kuemper that they needed the Samsonov cap space without the concern of getting a return.

Reactions: Menzinger

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
OK everyone, time to pretend a Murray/Samsonov tandem was what we wanted all along!
It’s like a bad weather vacation and you’re reduced to being happy about seeing some sun. Oh look honey, the clouds broke for a second, what a time ti be alive!

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Still better than the goaltending we got from December onward last year...
Oh even from these guys, I expect better goaltending from both
If I had to put rough estimates around them I’d expect

Murray to play 45-50 games, .908-.915
Samsonov to play 32-37 games, .905-.910

They should give us League average goaltending

I just don’t know if paying 7m for league average is worth it

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
This signing is all potential. He's shown signs, even though the back half of last year was terrible for him. I fully expect him to be the #1 come february/march. Hopefully its a multi-year signing.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
A cardboard cutout probably gets us into the playoffs with our top end core. It’s all what happens once we get there for the goalies.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I am a bit worried about this

Murray had a .906
Samsonov at a .896

On one hand, we have upside, if either hit we have a starting goalie but I’m still skeptical about either

Leafs still had a very good record getting sub .900 goaltending. Now we've replaced struggling old netminders with little track record of success with younger struggling goalies with better track records of success.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad