Confirmed with Link: TOR sign G Ilya Samsonov to 1 year, 1.8M deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
I feel the kid could have a bounce back season just being away from Ovi and the rest of the Russians in Washington. Having Media and Fans on your back can be a distraction but having a personality and player like Ovi busting your balls on the daily could be tough on a young player. We can also tell that they were not always the best of influence on him with the covid stuff and parties.

• Haha
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
These highlights packs usually only show amazing saves on desperation chances , which is what you see here. Most of these highlights showed breakaway dekes, backdoor plays, onetimer and rebound saves. They don't tend to show routine stops and positional play.

If you want to see goalies overall positional play, you gotta watch isolation videos like this one.

I’m not sure if his name is “oooh“ or “aaaah”, but I still think the Leafs will call him “game one starter” next spring.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I had Samsonov in fantasy last year so I'm biased. I followed him on a game-by-game basis, and appreciated Washington doing everything they could to get him going, even playing him when Vanecek was obviously outplaying him. Yet he continued to play awful. So few goalies in this league get to play 45 games on a contender while rocking a .895 save percentage. I've never seen a goalie babied like he was, and he just could never string together solid starts. I get why Washington dropped him, because what more could they do? That's a long sample size of being plain bad.

You could say it was just one bad season, but his preceding season was quite bad too! I was expecting a bounce-back last season!

Are people expecting him to suddenly become a different goaltender when he puts on a Leafs jersey? Seems like a recipe for disaster. I prefer Georgiev because he wasn't babied like Samsonov was. He had an obstacle in his way in NY with Shesterkin that Samsonov never had. Now that that obstacle is removed I expect a great season out of him; Colorado pulled off another coup with their goaltending, while we pulled off another blunder in a contending window.

I'm not saying I couldn't be wrong, but simply articulating my reasoned perspective, and begging for rational arguments to be presented as to why these two goalies could actually win us a championship, rather than simply provide "cap flexibility".
Sometimes a change in scenary is a good thing

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Sometimes a change in scenary is a good thing

And sometimes it's not at all. We're basing an entire season, in the absolute prime of Matthew's and Marner's careers, on "hoping that a change of scenery will be a good thing" for these two struggling Goalies. Not much of a plan.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
It's a really odd situation for me here. The bigger investment is in Matt Murray yet I'm more pinning my hopes on Samsonov.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sometimes a change in scenery is a good thing

Why the Leafs who have Cup aspirations and believe they're a Cup contending team?

And sometimes it's not at all. We're basing an entire season, in the absolute prime of Matthew's and Marner's careers, on "hoping that a change of scenery will be a good thing" for these two struggling Goalies. Not much of a plan.

You might be 100% correct,, Here is the list of NHL Goalies with the worst SV% combined over the last 3 years.

Note: Matt Murray is tied for 3rd worst @ .899, while Samsonov tied for 9th worst @ .902.. Both behind Petr Mrazek and ALL among the bottom 12.

1662647211801.png

Notice: David Rittich whom Dubas acquired in 2021, along with Petr Mrazek in 2021 makes it 4 of the bottom 12 goalies past 3 years or 1/4 league worst sv%.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
It's a really odd situation for me here. The bigger investment is in Matt Murray yet I'm more pinning my hopes on Samsonov.
Similarly odd as last year, with the investment in Mrazek and hope in Campbell.

Would be crushing if Sammy has moments of greatness but ultimately not strong enough to be our starter, and Murray is cap dumped next off season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Anyone that isn't worried that this will lead to another wasted season is lying to themselves.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why the Leafs who have Cup aspirations and believe they're a Cup contending team?

You might be 100% correct,, Here is the list of NHL Goalies with the worst SV% combined over the last 3 years.

Note: Matt Murray is tied for 3rd worst @ .899, while Samsonov tied for 9th worst @ .902.. Both behind Petr Mrazek and ALL among the bottom 12.

View attachment 582603

Notice: David Rittich whom Dubas acquired in 2021, along with Petr Mrazek in 2021 makes it 4 of the bottom 12 goalies past 3 years or 1/4 league worst sv%.
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say you took the last 3 years because if you took the last 1/2/4/5 years, the numbers for Murray/Samsonov would look better and thus wouldn't suit your agenda. Am I wrong?

Reactions: Sypher04
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad