Confirmed with Link: TOR sign G Ilya Samsonov to 1 year, 1.8M deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Upside, upside, upside. The year this guy was drafted his hype was just below Askarov level, if the 2015 draft wasn't so strong good chance he would have been a much higher pick as well.

Reactions: phillipmike

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I now think we are either winning the cup or finishing the season with Kallgren/Woll.

This tandem is huge upside but huge risk haha

Reactions: cupdreaming

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
If the money is good I like the gamble. But, we have two very high-risk goalies.
True, but also a tandem with higher upside than many around the league. A 28 year old who's won two cups, and a 25 year old who's a former first rounder and has had success in the league before. Sure, it's high risk, but having two bullets in the chamber gives us a better shot at finding a gem to be our starter mid to long term.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
And who's fault is that? Wonder boy GM

Still would've rather had Reimer or Allen
At least with Samsonov there is a potential quality #1 if you coach him properly. This team wouldn't be much better with Reimer or Allen, definitely not enough to make the difference in a cup run.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I now think we are either winning the cup or finishing the season with Kallgren/Woll.

This tandem is huge upside but huge risk haha
Wish I could get a bet in on Woll being the game 1 playoff starter.

Murray gets hurt, Samsonov has a meltdown, and Kallgren sucks

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
All we need is one of these goalies too hit, two flyers better are than one and zero pedigree backups.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
At least with Samsonov there is a potential quality #1 if you coach him properly. This team wouldn't be much better with Reimer or Allen, definitely not enough to make the difference in a cup run.
Reimer at least you know what you get. Average to good goaltending. Samsonov is far more likely to blow a series than he is to win one

Reactions: Cap'n Flavour

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Love it. Both guys have true #1 goalie upside. Although this could blow up in our face and they could both continue to suck but this is exciting.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Murray & Samsonov might be one of the biggest "upside" duos in the league. Smart move by Dubas. I know some hate on the Murray deal as it seems we had them over a barrel more, but at the end of the day if the numbers are right, we got a couple picks and nothing more than possibly sub 7mil invested in our crease. Murray gets hurt, Samsonov should be capable. Great duo imo. Very happy with this, just hope the money is right

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Nice to get this one out of the way early. Calms the nerves.

They needed a tandem partner with Murray in net. They went out and got one.

I view Samsonov in the same tier as Blackwood, Vanacek, Georgiev, Hill etc.

Good move.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Here's the other problem I see with this: You've got two guys who want to be the starter. They're both somewhat young, these kind of tandems rarely end well for all parties involved.

You need two guys who know their place in the pecking order. Neither one of these guys will want to "settle" in a backup or 1B role

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Here's the other problem I see with this: You've got two guys who want to be the starter. They're both somewhat young, these kind of tandems rarely end well for all parties involved.

You need two guys who know their place in the pecking order. Neither one of these guys will want to "settle" in a backup or 1B role
Clearly Samsonov is okay with it if he signed.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I like it as long as the money is right.

About the most upside you can get without a huge amount of risk (between Murray and Samsonov).
Agreed.

Can’t be worse than what we had to deal with last year where we had the worst goaltending for a solid couple of months.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Well chances are 1A gets injured :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad