PTO: [TOR] Nikita Gusev signs PTO with the Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Hughes scored 11 points in first 13 games, and then got back to his previous season's one. Bratt still played better under Nasreddine. Wood once scored 20 goals and couldn't get back to that level since that. Nico Hischier was Nico Hishier. Zacha was the only youngster who made a progress.

Devils were at 50% point pace under Nasreddine, under Ruff they looked significantly worse.

Hughes looked great and then was ravaged by Covid...and then started to pick it up again later in the year. He was the DEvils' best player night in and night out and was consistently let down by his linemates. He is one of the best transition players in the NHL already and he hasnt played a game as a non-teenager yet.

Bratt's ppg went up a decent amount last year.

Wood had 17 goals in 55 games...thats a 25 goal pace in a full season. I don't even like the guy, but thats impressive for a bottom 6er

Its pretty clear you didn't watch the Devils at ALL last year, so please refrain from commenting any further.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
As far as Gusev goes, he is the worst skater in the NHL and I'm not sure its close.

I think he can maybe put up some PP points on that Leafs roster (if he gets a contract), but don't expect much. He is also heinous defensively.

Reactions: GeNeXt and blinky67

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
As if all the other KHL teams are going to just accept that one team officially gives him a $500k salary to get him under the cap.

This isn't the 1980s anymore. The Soviet Union is no more.

Isn't this the same league where only 3 years ago Putin's team exceeded the cap 5 or 6 times?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Watch him become a standout just like all the other under the radar signings the Leafs have made over the years without having to rely on top draft picks. Dubas playing 4d chess again, you've been put on notice other NHL GMs.

Reactions: WADEugottaBELAKthat

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Isn't this the same league where only 3 years ago Putin's team exceeded the cap 5 or 6 times?
Give me a argument to how that would work. Keep in mind the people who wanted the salary cap from the beginning when formulating the argument that Putin's team somehow went over the hard cap that has been in place since the 2012-13 season.

UED

May 2, 2021
One step closer to the dream team, really just need to swap Muzzin with someone that fits better like Girard, Krug, Barrie and get rid of Ritchie

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I know the Leafs have to shop exclusively in the bargain bin, but this one is a little puzzling.

I'm assuming Galchenyuk must have turned them down because it makes zero sense to offer Gusev a PTO over Galchenyuk.

Gusev is a really good playmaker - better than Galchenyuk - but his skating is a serious issue and so is his size. A lot of under-sized forwards can mitigate that problem by being elusive and speedy but Gusev's skating is really bad. Because of that, his lack of size becomes a bigger issue and the worst part is, I haven't even mentioned his biggest problem: He is atrocious defensively.

I don't envision a scenario where Gusev could crack this roster, but that being said this coaching staff has made some puzzling choices before. After seeing Sheldon Keefe repeatedly put Joe Thornton out on the first line and on the first power play unit - including doing this in must-win playoff games - I really don't know what to expect from him.

The Leafs obviously have nothing to lose here, but the defensive issues and poor skating are really problematic. I suspect the thinking here is that Gusev could be paired with Tavares who's skating wouldn't leave Gusev in the dust and Gusev's playmaking abilities would be complimented by Tavares goal scoring ability but you would need to have a physical winger to put on that line who is absolutely rock solid defensively to give that line any chance and the Leafs don't have that piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: The90

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
As far as Gusev goes, he is the worst skater in the NHL and I'm not sure its close.

I think he can maybe put up some PP points on that Leafs roster (if he gets a contract), but don't expect much. He is also heinous defensively.
You better watch some other games , I can name you 5 worst skaters without blinking an eye.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If the price is right and the player ready to accept a limited role, I don't see a downside in signing a highly skilled creative player for situations that correspond with his particular strengths.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I watched plenty since he played for my team for over a year...thanks though

also I didnt say slowest. I said worst skater. His stride is HORRIFIC.
I didn't say slowest either and I can name you 5 without any thought...start with Lucic

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Echoing comments about his skating. It’s a major issue. He was essentially useless for the Panthers outside of the PP. He could barely keep up in the regular season, didn’t stand a chance come playoffs (which is why he didn’t play).

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Devils fan here. 1st season I really liked the guy. Had a bad start to the season. Got demoted to lower lines. But then we scratched him & had him go off with Elias for a day. After that Gusev came back a new man & went on a monster tear. He put up 44 points in 66 games & most of those points came after the first 15 games so at one point he was playing near ppg. He did have a kid during the off-season. After that when he returned for his 2nd season he looked completely different. My suspicion is he was focused on his new born child & didn't train. As others have stated here his problem is skating but I truly really believe his biggest problem is motivation/training. I think if he dedicated an entire off-season to getting faster & becoming a little more defensively aware & gave it his all he could go right back to that guy who was near ppg. The problem when your a bad skater is that if your not continuously training then your play could fall off a cliff & I think that's what happened with Gusev. If he's able to train hard, I see no reason he can't go back to form if he's played in the right circumstances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad