PTO: [TOR] Nikita Gusev signs PTO with the Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Did I? Or did you just misread the post. I said Malgin cost the Leafs an asset. In Mason Marchement, that turned out good for Florida, not so for the Leafs. At least Gusev did not cost the Leafs an asset this time. Which is exactly what I posted. Regardless, both are low risk, smallish players that may have a similar impact.

Like I said... a guy who scored 2 goals in 33 games with Barkov as his most common linemate is not an asset. He's a dime a dozen AHLer.

edit: oh I just realized you thought I was talking about Malgin as the guy with 2 goals in 33 games. I'm talking about Marchment, who you apparently for some reason think "turned out good for Florida". Yes, he had 2 goals in 33 games last season with Barkov (58 pts in 50 games) and Verhaeghe (36 pts in 43 games) as his most common linemates. He's absolutely terrible. Minimal talent and skates at an ECHL level.

Reactions: smitty10

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Like I said... a guy who scored 2 goals in 33 games with Barkov as his most common linemate is not an asset. He's a dime a dozen AHLer.

edit: oh I just realized you thought I was talking about Malgin as the guy with 2 goals in 33 games. I'm talking about Marchment, who you apparently for some reason think "turned out good for Florida". Yes, he had 2 goals in 33 games last season with Barkov (58 pts in 50 games) and Verhaeghe (36 pts in 43 games) as his most common linemates. He's absolutely terrible. Minimal talent and skates at an ECHL level.
Anytime you trade a non NHL player for an actual NHL player that contributes to a first place team for reasons the player was acquired for, one can only surmise it as turning out good for that team wouldn't you agree? Non NHL player for a NHL player would seem a no brainer to most. 2 goals also in the playoffs also, wonder if teams could use this. Regardless, my point still stands. Gusev is a PTO, who knows his impact, he could be another Malgin or perhaps he turns into an Ennis. At least this time, he didn't cost a player to acquire. It's a low risk move.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Gusev needs insanely high minutes to show his value, but isn't good enough to earn those minutes. Absolutely the softest player that's ever played, maybe the slowest too, and routinely either a) shoots or b) passes directly into traffic.

He has a bomb of a shot and his passes can actually be really nice if he has any amount of time/space, but he doesn't possess the foot speed or physique to make time and space for himself. If players just get a jump on him early he panics and tosses the puck into traffic.

I think the experiment is over. He'll probably go back to shitting on the KHL.

Reactions: Leafslet

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
I saw him play last season in the SHL. He sucked. Didn't do anything of value.

that may be, I didnt see those games, but I can also comfirm he’s played well during his PTO.

I’m in favour of signing him & assigning him to the marlies as a first call up.

gusev on the other hand doesnt play as if he’s fighting for a spot at all. imagine how invisible he’ll be come playoffs. no thanks, he’s been bad.

Reactions: smitty10

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
These articles seem to tell a completely different story than your posts. Also, you make it seem like his attitude was the problem by saying he was "kicked off two teams", when the reality seems to be far from that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/eyeson...slanders-happened-josh-ho-sang-linkoping/amp/

Quote from the GM in Linkoping:

"Only reason he hasn’t been in the line up is due to competition with in the team for the spots in the line up. We had a lot of injured guys that became healthy.

He hasn’t been playing for a long time and needed time to get in game shape. We knew that if we would have ended up in qualification round to stay in league we would need him and that was our goal to have him ready for that.

Josh has been a total pro here with us, worked out hard both on and off the ice to get in shape to play. He’s been great in the group and have tried to contribute in any way he could to help the team."
No GM is throwing his players under the bus. If your body is your job, you better keep it in shape, not show up to a team out of shape and play like crap.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
If this is a serious comment you just have terrible player assessment skills. If you saw the games he played and are actually questioning whether or not he's a starter you don't know hockey.

You've been here long enough to know the routine. All the Leafs players are AHLers outside of a few top players, who are all worse than everyone elses best players.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
If this is a serious comment you just have terrible player assessment skills. If you saw the games he played and are actually questioning whether or not he's a starter you don't know hockey.
Look at Ben Scrivens as a King vs when he was tried being made the starter in Edmonton. Big difference.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This is a terrible post. Pretty easy to question if he can hold up as a starter when he's never done it. Lots of backups look great for 20 games. More reading comprehension and less snark.

This is a terrible post. You want to judge a player based on what he hasn't had the opportunity to do vs what he actually has done.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
This is a terrible post. You want to judge a player based on what he hasn't had the opportunity to do vs what he actually has done.
He's in his 8th year and is turning 30. Based on what he has actually done, there is no indication he can handle a starters workload, but sure coach, I'm sure you have top notch player evaluation skills

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
Same concern with Ullmark, no question.

We saw it recently with Halak, or Khudobin type goalies. They can be an incredible goalie in certain sample sizes, but implode when required to mentally be the starter.

This is a pivotal year for Jack to take the reigns. I do think he has upside to be a great starter considering his draft position and success at every level. He needs to stay healthy - valid point, however, he did set an NHL record.. and we do know history suggests goalies can develop a lot later. He's done everything right since joining the Leafs and now we see if he can be the guy.

Mrazek being brought in suggest that we're targeting around 50 games on the high-end for him which sets him up for success given he performs. He's on a cheap deal that expires this year so.. either way better than locking in to an unproven commodity...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad