PTO: [TOR] Nikita Gusev signs PTO with the Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Gusev will probably do well in TO playing in the top 6 with those talented players, but just like the rest of that top 6, he will "POOF" in the playoffs.

From what I gather he hasn’t even gotten a sniff of a chance with anybody of note so far in camp. He’d have to light up the scoreboard in some preseason games to get noticed at all much less beat out a million other guys for a spot.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Unless we've travelled back in time a year or two, it's statistically the correct take. The leafs D-core is very solid now (one area Dubas did a very good job in)
Defence is always a concern for every team, especially when bringing in a lacklustre player in his own zone, which needs to be sheltered like Gusev.

I also wouldn't call the Leafs D-core very solid either, decent or adequate would be a better description IMO. It's hardly a strength of the team, but you're entitled to your opinion

Reactions: Brad C

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Defence is always a concern for every team, especially when bringing in a lacklustre player in his own zone, which needs to be sheltered like Gusev.

I also wouldn't call the Leafs D-core very solid either, decent or adequate would be a better description IMO. It's hardly a strength of the team, but you're entitled to your opinion
OP said on a team who already struggles defensively, suggesting the leafs are not good in that zone with or without Gusev. Also, defense is a concern for every team like offense is, but you fix the areas that need more improvement. The Leafs clearly need more offensive help which is why they've been focusing on that while the D-Core is largely the same.

Where would you put the Leafs d-core then? They're above average to me, and in the 8-14 range so pretty solid. They're not in the elite tier but metrics indicate this team has finally figured out how to play defense (the same metrics that would agree the leafs sucked at defense before). The eye test also shows this and basic stats do as well (e.g., leafs GA was 5th worst in 2019-2020, but 7th best in 2021)

Reactions: banks and Doc300c

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Clever move actually - year one. He will put up some good offensive njmbers- then doing a Kaprizpv- signing a complete insane contract - like 3x 5 millions, and score 15-20 goals at max.

yeah, at this time on the offseason its really hard to get finds, and he was probably the best finding. But ut will hit back after getting succes

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Unless we've travelled back in time a year or two, it's statistically the correct take. The leafs D-core is very solid now (one area Dubas did a very good job in)

Isn't this the main issue with the Leafs? On paper they are a good team all around, but then they hit the ice.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
PTOs are whatever. It would seem the Leafs brass didn't watch him play much. I don't think there's anything there, but it's a no risk move.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
PTOs are whatever. It would seem the Leafs brass didn't watch him play much. I don't think there's anything there, but it's a no risk move.
It's a no risk move, no different than Denis Malgin was. Similar size and skill perhaps? Atleast Gusev didn't cost the Leafs an asset this time.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
It's a no risk move, no different than Denis Malgin was. Similar size and skill perhaps? Atleast Gusev didn't cost the Leafs an asset this time.

A 26 year old who had 2 goals in 33 games with Barkov as his most common linemate is not an asset lmao

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Interesting take to say the least…
It really isn't to anyone capable of following along with a changing situation. Toronto needs secondary scoring and reliable production from their stars in the playoffs. But this is hf where most people don't have to the ability move on from one narrative to another.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad