PTO: [TOR] Nikita Gusev signs PTO with the Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
PTOs are tryouts for an NHL contract.

Anyone can swoop and offer him more money.

Mediocre news at best.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just curious as I don't watch much Devils hockey. What changed between his rookie season and sophomore season?

Why the sudden drop in play?

Main factors: Bad first impression with new coach and Yegor Sharangovich being more effective. Gusev looked lost like he did initially as a rookie under John Hynes, turnover machine in the offensive zone and lost in the defensive zone. Sharangovich and Janne Kuokkanen aren't as skilled as Gusev, but they took the spots on Travis Zajac's line as they weren't as prone to bad decisions. Jack Hughes is a work in progress defensively so it's pretty ugly when he and Gusev were paired together. Gusev had a solid finish to 2019-20 on a line with Pavel Zacha and Jesper Bratt, but Lindy Ruff didn't give that line much if any time together from what I remember even with Nico Hischier hurt to start the season.

This was a nightmare shift for Gusev, but a bit of a microcosm where he'd try to dangle through everybody, turn it over, then get lost defensively.

And on a personal level, I think Gusev and his wife welcomed their first child right before training camp started. Many of my friends have been having their first kids in recent years, so I've seen how that can be mess up their sleep cycles and the effect that can have. As a result, I'm always a bit a sympathetic towards athletes who have to try to balance that as well and whether they might have a bounce back season once they get used to the routine (looking in Dylan Strome's general direction).

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
This will turn out to be a good signing for Toronto. He’ll make the roster and play in the top 9.

Reactions: teddygmr

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Main factors: Bad first impression with new coach and Yegor Sharangovich being more effective. Gusev looked lost like he did initially as a rookie under John Hynes, turnover machine in the offensive zone and lost in the defensive zone. Sharangovich and Janne Kuokkanen aren't as skilled as Gusev, but they took the spots on Travis Zajac's line as they weren't as prone to bad decisions. Jack Hughes is a work in progress defensively so it's pretty ugly when he and Gusev were paired together. Gusev had a solid finish to 2019-20 on a line with Pavel Zacha and Jesper Bratt, but Lindy Ruff didn't give that line much if any time together from what I remember even with Nico Hischier hurt to start the season.

This was a nightmare shift for Gusev, but a bit of a microcosm where he'd try to dangle through everybody, turn it over, then get lost defensively.

And on a personal level, I think Gusev and his wife welcomed their first child right before training camp started. Many of my friends have been having their first kids in recent years, so I've seen how that can be mess up their sleep cycles and the effect that can have. As a result, I'm always a bit a sympathetic towards athletes who have to try to balance that as well and whether they might have a bounce back season once they get used to the routine (looking in Dylan Strome's general direction).

Thanks. Very informative post!

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Hmm, theres a small amount of upside here to potentially help on that god awful pp. If nothing clicks, cut bait and bail. No harm no foul. Seems like a similar situation to gally last yr where he could surprise- but it would be very... surprising.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Clearly Dubas sees hobbit sized players who cant skate at the NHL level as the new market inefficiency. He's grabbing them before other GMs catch on. Pretty much chess while everyone else is playing checkers.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I think the legendary Leafs player development system will resurrect him, as it did with Galchenyuk.
Lots of things the Habs can chirp the leafs for, player development is not one of those things.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Clearly Dubas sees hobbit sized players who cant skate at the NHL level as the new market inefficiency. He's grabbing them before other GMs catch on. Pretty much chess while everyone else is playing checkers.
And the Laughs have no cap space so what does he pay him with Rubles?

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Oh, we can chirp you on any topic we like, until you actually win something. Like a playoff round at least.
Well, your last Stanley cup is closer to the leafs last cup than the present day. So, no. But, if you want to hang your hat on that, go ahead.

Reactions: Enniskillen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad