PTO: [TOR] Nikita Gusev signs PTO with the Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Low risk, mediocre upside as a PP placeholder who is a complete liability outside some offensive creativity which he isn’t quick enough to unleash reliability at the NHL level.

I chuckle when fans start breaking out the standard hyperbole “low risk but HUGE BIG upside” nonsense with these guys who are well into their mid 20’s (nearly 30 in Gusev’s case) because they flashed some good raw point totals years ago but have since floated to numerous teams because they have giagantic, gaping holes in their games that prevent them from being good or reliable NHL players.

So yeah, it’s low - zero risk. It’s also extremely mediocre upside…as a placeholder until an actual good player is acquired or promoted.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Low risk, mediocre upside as a PP placeholder who is a complete liability outside some offensive creativity which he isn’t quick enough to unleash reliability at the NHL level.

I chuckle when fans start breaking out the standard hyperbole “low risk but HUGE BIG upside” nonsense with these guys who are well into their mid 20’s (nearly 30 in Gusev’s case) because they flashed some good raw point totals years ago but have since floated to numerous teams because they have giagantic, gaping holes in their games that prevent them from being good or reliable NHL players.

So yeah, it’s low - zero risk. It’s also extremely mediocre upside…as a placeholder until an actual good player is acquired or promoted.

He had 44 points a year ago, it's not like he had 40 points 5 years, if he makes it he's got a chance to play in the top 6.

Guys have bounce back seasons all the time

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
In what world is Kase a soft guy? Lol

If Kase was a soft guy he’d probably be a Bruin still.
He’s one solid hit away from early retirement and he’s never been overly physical. In comparison to those other guys sure I’ll give you that. Your second sentence makes no sense either

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He’s one solid hit away from early retirement and he’s never been overly physical. In comparison to those other guys sure I’ll give you that. Your second sentence makes no sense either

You’ve never watched Kase if you think he wasn’t physical. Most of his injuries were from going balls to the wall every shift.

Holy Slapshot

Feb 16, 2012
Icy Cold Catacombs
Well Kase is definitely not soft, but probably one solid hit away from early retirement indeed... Maybe that's also why they're trying Gusev. But as was mentioned before, it wasn't any special with Barkov last year so I'm not expecting miracles now.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Everyone so excited about this guy. Here it is in a nutshell....to slow and his defense sucks and he coasts back into his own end. He wont see one minute with the Leafs.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He had 44 points a year ago, it's not like he had 40 points 5 years, if he makes it he's got a chance to play in the top 6.

Guys have bounce back seasons all the time

Gusev had a nice finish to his first season after John Hynes was fired. Probably helped when Taylor Hall was moved which opened up a spot on the top PP unit.

with Hynes: 23 GP, 5-7-12
with Nasradienne: 43 GP, 8-24-32
with Ruff: 20 GP, 2-3-5

Had hopes that he'd continue improving, but Gusev regressed and was lost in the shuffle after Yegor Sharangovich emerged out of nowhere. Gusev doesn't quite have the speed/agility to dangle through defenders but he keeps trying.

I didn't watch him in Florida, but perhaps Gusev is more comfortable at LW. Due to the lack of right shots, New Jersey used him mostly at RW. I think Gusev and his wife had their first kid last year which can be rough (for athletes and non-athletes alike).

At least with Toronto, it seems like Gusev would have to have a heck of a camp to secure a contract. But no harm in giving him a couple preseason games.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Gusev had a nice finish to his first season after John Hynes was fired. Probably helped when Taylor Hall was moved which opened up a spot on the top PP unit.

with Hynes: 23 GP, 5-7-12
with Nasradienne: 43 GP, 8-24-32
with Ruff: 20 GP, 2-3-5

Had hopes that he'd continue improving, but Gusev regressed and was lost in the shuffle after Yegor Sharangovich emerged out of nowhere. Gusev doesn't quite have the speed/agility to dangle through defenders but he keeps trying.

I didn't watch him in Florida, but perhaps Gusev is more comfortable at LW. Due to the lack of right shots, New Jersey used him mostly at RW. I think Gusev and his wife had their first kid last year which can be rough (for athletes and non-athletes alike).

At least with Toronto, it seems like Gusev would have to have a heck of a camp to secure a contract. But no harm in giving him a couple preseason games.

Well we certainly don't have a #1 LW unlikely they move Nylander over to LW but he's a natural RW.

There is certainly at least 1 spot open at LW

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Really like this. Tons of oppurtunity at LW for the Leafs, if he's motivated he could earn himself a good situation. Leafs need more offense at that position. I could see him with Tavares and Nylander on a sheltered line, similar to what Galchenyuk got last season.
Motivation was never an issue. His skill isn’t an issue either , it’s his speed and lack of physicality that hurts him. He is a very fun player to watch play and I hope he sticks with some team.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Dubas loves those fringe skilled soft guys. Malgin, Galchenyuk, Kase, Barabanov, Petan, and now Gusev

I'm not a fan of Dubas but your just reaching to stir the pot.

Barbanov isn't really soft, despite being small, he plays a heavy game for a small guy. Looks are deceptive with him. Chuck isn't really soft either, especially at this point in his career, he is just a defensive liability. Kase was too competitive in his prime to be considered soft

What I will acknowledge is that we really don't need any more soft players that can't take a hit and Gusev has done nothing to show me he's not a soft player. He can be good at driving the play with the puck on his stick but I'm not convinced he's very good at anything else. We'll have to see though because he looked like a star internationally not too long ago...above all else, he has shown he has a lot of skill.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Cool beans.
People are going to crap on this but Gusev could potentially be the best PP forward outside of the top four guys. (It don’t seem like there are really any strong contenders there, unless rookies come in but I might be missing obvious other guys.)

Gusev really helped the Devils’ lifeless PP in 2019-20 and it got roaring in the last 25 games before the shut down.

It didn’t work out for a couple reasons in 2020-21 but it doesn’t really matter at this point. I really like the guy I hope it works out for him in Toronto, they just need to figure out how to best utilize him. He has a lot of talent.

Reactions: teddygmr

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Could up being a great move. Zero risk whatsoever.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad