Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs extend Morgan Rielly (8 years, $7.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I see. What makes you think that?

A lot of times it’s mobility that hurts players in their latter years. There’s no sign yet of him slowing down that way and it’s pretty difficult to project that.

He doesn’t have an alarming history of injuries, and doesn’t get hit particularly often either so I don’t see that as an indication of him becoming washed up either.

In another 6-8 years that cap hit becomes less and less of a concern as the cap rises.

Good luck.

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
Uhh so Kerfoot would 2nd line center or Leafs have 2 #1 centers.

It was a no brainer to sign Tavares
The team would look obviously much different if they didn’t sign Tavares. They might not even have Kerfoot. Maybe they kept Kadri or upgraded him with the 11 million they didn’t use on Tavares in this hypothetical situation

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Relative to the other Leaf's contracts, this was a pretty quiet, drama-free signing for Dubas. A lot of talk about losing him for nothing like Hyman. Hard to bitch about the deal. Perhaps a little longer than we would like but also a little less expensive than we thought so you can see the compromise on both sides.

There is a likeability about Rielly that I dont find in Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. It is a shame that the Leaf's top paid players are also the most unlikeable. Rielly could easily be the captain in my opinion. Good on him for working it out with Dubas and hopefully just focus on playing good hockey now.

As for the cap situation, lots of time to sort that out but at first glance, Kerfoot, Ritchie, and Dermott all will have only next year left on their deals. I think Dubas could find a way to make those 3 contracts disappear to free up some space and replace them with less expensive players.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

As a leaf fan, that's actually hilarious. This is the kind of trolling that is appreciated.

On a side note, Marner probably gets dealt at the end of this year. 58% of the cap now tied up in 5 players, I know Dubas is dumb but he can't be that dumb either. One of them certainly has to go now and the odd man out is Mitch at this point.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Good signing and good deal.

Only thing you can clown on the Leafs here for is the fact that a forward may have to be moved.

Let's see what they can do this year.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Not a bad deal for Rielly. The guy can still be a 50+ point D in the league.

This team needs to look at moving on from Tavares to free up cap space and improve their overall depth, though.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Not a bad deal for Rielly. The guy can still be a 50+ point D in the league.

This team needs to look at moving on from Tavares to free up cap space and improve their overall depth, though.

No one is taking Tavares' contract without a significant sweetener at this point.

For arguments sake though....if Weber retires, the Habs will have the Cap Space

To Toronto - Ryan Poehling + Paul Byron
To Montreal - John Tavares + 2022 1st

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i bash the leafs as much as i can but this is a great deal for a very good player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad