Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs extend Morgan Rielly (8 years, $7.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
This contract takes him to age 35. Good deal but I'd like to see the structure in the later years of the deal.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not a bad deal.

If the Leafs do decide to go in a different direction it shouldn't be too hard to find a trading partner.

In a way, you can look at that number as a bit of an indication of his declining stock over the last couple of seasons.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
7.5 for a 4d will be the going rate in 50 years not 8. People were saying Duncan Keith is overpaid last year.

Middle-low end #1s are getting 9 mill right now, which means 7.5 is the current going rate for #2-3D. You dont think it moves down 1 rung of the salary ladder in 8 years?

This contract takes him to age 35. Good deal but I'd like to see the structure in the later years of the deal.

Year 7 and 8 have 10 team NTC, 6 mill base salary with no signing bonus.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Middle-low end #1s are getting 9 mill right now, which means 7.5 is the current going rate for #2-3D. You dont think it moves down 1 rung of the salary ladder in 8 years?

Year 7 and 8 have 10 team NTC, 6 mill base salary with no signing bonus.
No because all low end ones aren’t making 9. If 4 d are making 7.5 in 8 years that’s means 1 are making 15+ salary cap isn’t going to be 160 million. (10ish percent of cap to 1 d)

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Considering the money being thrown around for Dmen these days, $9.5M for McAvoy, $9.25M Nurse, $9 Hamilton, $9.5M Jones. I think Rielly could have easily gotten $8M-$8.5M in FA.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Guess the Leafs think it will continue to be easy to find quality NHL'ers who want to play in Toronto for $1M/year. Good for them. I wouldn't want to build a roster using the 80/20 rule, but you've got to credit the GM for sticking to his philosophy and going all-in with this core. Certainly seems like a bold move all things considered, but maybe this is the year it pays off. Leafs fans deserve to taste success, don't they?

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
most UFA’s are 27-30 and end up signing long term deals. See Dougie Hamilton

The question is if your management team has the guts to let them walk. It's definitely a "If your friend jumped off a bridge, would you?" situation.

People are so scared to lose talent, they shoot themselves in the foot to keep it from happening. I guess it's just hard for NHL GM's to not panic.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is gonna screw Leafs hard; you don't win cup with Rielly as your number 1, and you not gonna be able to afford him as a number 2 so this is amazing.

I think his contract can be moved. It's not that outrageous.

Defencemen like Rielly are not particularly common and I'm sure there are plenty of teams willing to take him on at that price.

This is a guy that put up 72 points in a season.

Someone out there will gamble that he can regain that level of play, maybe even the Leafs.

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
I love this deal... as a Leafs hater. Rielly is good, but extremely overrated due to one outlier season with a run 'n' gun team. Many, many Leafs fans wanted him gone. Just because some D like Seth Jones are massively overpaid doesn't make this a good deal. It mean Leafs lost their only decent trade chip to get better, puts the final nail in their salary cap coffin, and locks them in long-term to a garbage core. His only elite skill is skating, which will decline in the near future. Garbage on the power play with a muffin shot, not good at defending. Bravo!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Guess the Leafs think it will continue to be easy to find quality NHL'ers who want to play in Toronto for $1M/year. Good for them. I wouldn't want to build a roster using the 80/20 rule, but you've got to credit the GM for sticking to his philosophy and going all-in with this core. Certainly seems like a bold move all things considered, but maybe this is the year it pays off. Leafs fans deserve to taste success, don't they?

What is the alternative?

Cutting him loose?

Isn't he worth more to a prospective trading partner on a long-term contract?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
One of the better D contracts given recently. I'd rather have Rielly at 7,5 than Nurse or Jones for over 9mil. Every day of the week, twice on saturdays.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
It's a good deal for Morgan Rielly no doubt. Nurse is also a better player so of course he is going to cost more
the only thing Nurse has over Rielly is 3" taller and a couple million more in cap hit.

defensively Nurse is average (not that Rielly is any better) and offensively, pre McDavid Nurse didnt even have an offense.

/edit my bad, i thought Nurse was around before

Last edited:
Reactions: TML1990

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think his contract can be moved. It's not that outrageous.

Defencemen like Rielly are not particularly common and I'm sure there are plenty of teams willing to take him on at that price.

If they trade him, then the Leafs are very, very smart. If they keep him, they not winning anything.

Also, look at the defenders who are paid 7.5 or above, they are all number 1 defenders. No one is going to pay 7.5 for a number 3 or number 2 guy unless the cap seriously inflates or Toronto eats a good chunk.

Rielly's comparable is Krug. Toronto overpaid by at least a million.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The mistakes with the top-4 contracts have been done. Dubas actually did great here, Rielly could've fetched 9mil on the free agency.

Reactions: TML1990

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

I am so freaking happy.

An excellent number 3 defender. Nothing more. This is gonna screw Leafs hard; you don't win cup with Rielly as your number 1, and you not gonna be able to afford him as a number 2 so this is amazing.

#3D LOL. He's a legitimate top pairing guy, we are more than happy with this signing. He might not be an elite #1D like Fox/Hedman etc. But he's a fine d-man. Considering Nurse got 9M, this is a steal.

Sens just signed a guy with a career high of 45 points to an 8m+ deal, maybe worry about that instead :laugh: Thank you though we are very happy, glad to share this moment with a rival sens fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad