Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs extend Morgan Rielly (8 years, $7.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
LOL. What "salary cap issues"? I keep hearing about how we will never find the money for Marner, or Matthews, or Reilly, or (insert name here) but we keep on signing all of them. And our bottom six guys are doing just fine, thanks.

We have no cap issues at all. We've got everyone we currently want, SIGNED. Campbell is likely next. Tell us all how we'll never find the money/space to sign him. :)

your team is laughably constructed because of salary cap issues. Your team that you want has had zero success. You have lost good players because of salary cap issues.

what are you talking about

this is a good signing, but leafs need to fix their roster construction

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Meh deal is fine , someone has the play back there and he woukd.have gotten more on the open market . This leaves the door open for a other 1/2 D in the near future if needed. Good signing on par .

He's averaged 58 points per 82 for the last four years - yes he went off for over 70 points a few years ago and missed time with injury the year after.

I restate, he wasn't gonna take less but he would have taken more. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the deals Dmen have been getting lately.

His deal is not bad at face value. The question is... is it worth it for the Leafs. No it isn't. Have you guys not seen your playoff performances? You need a legit all purpose number 1. Rielly is absolutely not that. The only other way to win with Rielly is if you win by committee on defense, but that will be hard to do with the way your cap structured on offense. Unless Marner is traded for a steal return that includes a young and cheap solid defender and great top 6 player, this deal does nothing for the Leafs. Leafs will not win with Rielly.

Leafs are arguing about his contract; it's not that terrible of a contract(even though his comparable is more similar to Krug and Girard impact wise) but his contract in relation to what Leafs actually need is bad.

Well, I suppose there are two ways to look at it.

1. Is it a good AAV and contract in a vacuum?

I think most people here think it's relatively reasonable in light of the other signings at that position that have taken place recently.

2. Does it mean that Rielly is the right fit for the Leafs for the next 8 years?

Obviously this is more debatable but personally I don't see his deal as being much of an impediment to making necessary changes if required.

This guy gets it. Might not be an impediment, but that's contingent on Rielly not declining even a bit.

Reactions: viceroy

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems reasonable for a good top pairing D. Not a steal but should age well. The thing that would be concerning to me is that it is now very hard for the Leafs to afford a dman better than Rielly. So they're now kind of stuck with him as their #1. Maybe that's good enough but considering Muzzin and Brodie aren't getting any younger they're going to need one of Sandin, Dermott, or Liljegren to really emerge.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
LOL. What "salary cap issues"? I keep hearing about how we will never find the money for Marner, or Matthews, or Reilly, or (insert name here) but we keep on signing all of them. And our bottom six guys are doing just fine, thanks.

We have no cap issues at all. We've got everyone we currently want, SIGNED. Campbell is likely next. Tell us all how we'll never find the money/space to sign him. :)
I mean, I guess the bonus is that if you keep trading your high picks away, your guys coming off ELCs won't really need a second contract because they won't make it that far.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
As of right now, Reilly will have the 21st highest cap-hit among NHL D-men next season.

Until the next wave of deals need to be signed...

Considering guys like Jones and Nurse are signing over 9 mill, neither of which are elite #1D, 7.5 mill is no longer the going rate for a mid-low #1D.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The NHL salary cap is so ass backwards with players being underpaid for their best years and then by the time it comes for them to cash in on all their hard work they are approaching a downturn and only get paid based on what they accomplished in the past with it being practically impossible to live up to that in the future if they even manage to play throughout the entirety of their contract without being traded or worse bought out.

It'll never happen, but I'd like the league to get rid of the entry level cap (and 3-year contract limit) so that young players can get paid what they're worth (or, in most cases what they're projected to be worth) instead of guilting teams into "back paying" for the first 3 years they were grossly underpaid.

It was weak that it was negotiated into the CBA in the first place, but the established players were easy to give in on that as a way of keeping their own salary structure intact - by passing on the loss to the "kids" and future players (the former group for which there was only a tiny minority of representation for the CBA negotiations).

So, if Connor wanted $10M right from day one, before ever playing a game, then the Oilers could have said "Fine, but we want that over an 8-year deal". Probably works out for them and right now he'd be, what, a year away from a new mega-deal? A less "sure thing" prospect may opt for 2,3,4 years at an attractive cap hit to establish himself and make his AAV more appealing to keep in the lineup on a cap-crunched team.

In any case, the "market" would decide ELC players' worth the same as every other player in the league, just as it should.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Until the next wave of deals need to be signed...

Considering guys like Jones and Nurse are signing over 9 mill, neither of which are elite #1D, 7.5 mill is no longer the going rate for a mid-low #1D.
Both Jones and Nurse were perceived by the teams that signed them to be big, all-situation, minute munching, point producing D-men. I think it's hasty to say that those deals indicate that that many D-men will jump Rielly in cap hits in the coming years.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
your team is laughably constructed because of salary cap issues. Your team that you want has had zero success. You have lost good players because of salary cap issues.

what are you talking about

this is a good signing, but leafs need to fix their roster construction

Nah. You don't know what you're talking about. We overpaid a bit for some young Superstars, and we're one of the better teams in the NHL. Better to do that, than to overpay for the Josh Andersons of the league.

Reactions: TML1990

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Actually a great deal for Toronto, at least for the first 4 years of that contract, he could easily command an extra $1m on the open market. At the same time, I like the fact they're keeping the same core together and doubling down on the exact same players that have sucked year after year, they've proven they are losers lol. A win now for the leafs, but a bigger win for the rest of the league.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
They change annually depending on who has a good year. Doesn't really matter though. It's a good deal. Hope Marner is taking notes.
I would like to hear what players people think is a true #1...When Rielly scored 20 goals and 70 points, was he a good #3?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Nah. You don't know what you're talking about. We overpaid a bit for some young Superstars, and we're one of the better teams in the NHL. Better to do that, than to overpay for the Josh Andersons of the league.

no you’re right. The leafs are constructed well.

my bad. Allocating 60% of your cap to a handful of players is smart

Reactions: viceroy and NyQuil

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
LOL. You don't know what you're talking about.
Rielly cap hit is good IMO, but you have 58.9% of your entire cap designed to 5 players, who fit the most part don’t deliver when it matters, but you’re saying the poster you quoted don’t know what they are talking about when they suggest the team poorly constructed in terms of the cap?

Reactions: viceroy

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Getting everyone signed doesn’t mean a whole lot when you guys keep losing…

Reactions: SENStastic

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Rielly cap hit is good IMO, but you have 58.9% of your entire cap designed to 5 players, who fit the most part don’t deliver when it matters, but you’re saying the poster you quoted don’t know what they are talking about when they suggest the team poorly constructed in terms of the cap?

Correct.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
the only thing Nurse has over Rielly is 3" taller and a couple million more in cap hit.

defensively Nurse is average (not that Rielly is any better) and offensively, pre McDavid Nurse didnt even have an offense.

Pre McDavid Nurse? So something that has never happened because they started full time the same year? Lol good content right here

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
9 Forwards signed for next year: Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kerfoot, Ritchie, Kampf, Bunting, Simmonds
Total: 49.855

5 Dmen:
Reilly, Muzzin, Brodie, Holl, Dermott
Total: 21.625

1 Goalie:
Mrazek
Total: 3.800

Grand total: 75.280 (6.220 cap space)

Needs:
3 forwards
1 defenceman
1 goalie

Lets say they re-sign Spezza and call up two forwards:
Spezza - 0.750
Rodion - 0.925
Robertson - 0.797
Total: 2.472

Leaving 3.748 for Campbell and Sandin
They would also lose Mikheyev to UFA, and I'm not sure what they do with RFAs Liljegren, Kase, or Engvall.

They pretty much have to get rid of someone. Ritchie would be a good bet. Mrazek too. Both of them clears up 6.200 which would go a long way.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad