Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs extend Morgan Rielly (8 years, $7.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The star players not showing up when it matters doesnt mean the team is poorly constructed. Where do you reallocate money if you downgrade from the top heavy construction? The depth has been good, the D has been good, the stars just went quite 3 years in a row at the worst possible time.

As for Campbell a 2 mill raise is 3.5-4 mill contract

Sandin isnt going to command a huge raise after 1 season playing limited 3rd pairing minutes. Hes still under RFA controll for 6 more years...
Again, why is Campbell only getting $3.5M if he’s good enough to be a starter? What Cup Calibre starters are getting that much?

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Very happy with this deal, Moe could have taken the Leafs to the cleaners with some of the contracts that were signed recently. Only a 2.5m raise on the cap hit and we are getting 1.2m from the Kessel retention back this summer and then the cap being raised by a mill already pays for the raise.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
It’s not about who knows best. This is simple mathematics. 58.9% of an NHL cap to 5 players, who unlike Tampa’s core, which may see a similar cap issue next season, don’t produce when the games mean something is an awful cap approach.

You ignoring the cheesy depth/goaltending options that is given to this core because of cap restraints, and typing as may caps-locked LMAOs or LOLs only further proves that you’re seeing this only through an emotional bond to the team that clouds logical thought.

This core is 0-8 in playoffs.

This core were a bunch of 22/23/24 year olds the last time they were in the playoffs. KIDS.

It sometimes takes more than 12 seconds for kids to figure things out. Shocking, I know.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Called 7.5m in offseason. Is the deal at least 1 year longer than you wanted? Of course but that is cost of signing free agent years out. Leafs made right signing.

Reactions: TML1990

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
This core were a bunch of 22/23/24 year olds the last time they were in the playoffs. KIDS.

It sometimes takes more than 12 seconds for kids to figure things out. Shocking, I know.
So then you do like Tampa, pay them moderately until they prove they can be successful, then reward them handsomely. I just think that makes a lot more sense.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Again, why is Campbell only getting $3.5M if he’s good enough to be a starter? What Cup Calibre starters are getting that much?

1.5 seasons of a starter workload isn’t enough to warrant some huge raise unless he’s winning the Vezina or Conn Smythe. Likely he’s getting the Mrazek deal or slightly more.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Overpayed a bit? Good one lol

Yup. A bit. Marner is overpaid by about 1.5M but has paced for 96 points/season for the last three years. Matthews is probably overpaid by 1M as well.......goal scoring machine and one of the NHL's best Centres.

Big deal.

Josh Anderson is overpaid by 2.5M. Lucic by 3M. Nurse is overpaid by 2M easily. Trouba by 2-3M as well. Zaitsevv is overpaid by 1-2M. Seth Jones by 2M.

LOTS of guys are overpaid "a bit". At least ours are two of the league's best.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
you have to really hate the leafs to complain about this deal
I don’t really see anyone saying it’s a bad contract but commenting on them having 59% of their cap Locked up into 5 players who are soft and have failed them over and over

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
So then you do like Tampa, pay them moderately until they prove they can be successful, then reward them handsomely. I just think that makes a lot more sense.

Toronto is not Tampa. Have you noticed? We have different players, in a different market, with different personal situations, and different taxes, and different media pressure, and different fanbases.

The two can't be compared.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
1.5 seasons of a starter workload isn’t enough to warrant some huge raise unless he’s winning the Vezina or Conn Smythe. Likely he’s getting the Mrazek deal or slightly more.
Ullmark just got 5 for arguably less workload. I’ll ask again, what starting goalie on a cup contender is paid $3.5 after already being a starter?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I'm not saying he's washed up. I'm saying he will be washed up and getting paid $7.5m in about 6 years.
Well that’s how it works no?
Look at Hyman, he’s gonna be worth that contract for 5 years, dead weight for 3. Usually for mid to late 20’s guys, teams sign them to 7-8 years knowing that it’s actually a 5 year deal and 2-3 years of an overpayment to cap dump

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Ullmark just got 5 for arguably less workload. I’ll ask again, what starting goalie on a cup contender is paid $3.5 after already being a starter?

And that deal looks terrible.

Freddy Andersen just signed 4.5 mill on a contender with a long long history of being a starter.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Toronto is not Tampa. Have you noticed? We have different players, in a different market, with different personal situations, and different taxes, and different media pressure, and different fanbases.

Thevtwi can’t be compared.
Yes, I have noticed. I don’t know how anybody wouldn’t notice.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'd think most fan bases would be pretty peeved at signing him at 9.5 million.

I mean, Nurse is a punchline at that amount right now.

I don't disagree, but 9+ seems to be the going rate these days. Which is insane but then again Doughty/Karlsson reset the market when they got their mega deals.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't disagree, but 9+ seems to be the going rate these days. Which is insane but then again Doughty/Karlsson reset the market when they got their mega deals.

The Nurse deal may end up as more of an outlier as more deals get signed - I'm curious to see in a year or two.

Reactions: Voight

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

He prob gets around the 4M range to be fair. He's a legit starter but far from elite. He's not a top 10 goalie, somewhere in the 15-20 range.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Yes, I have noticed. I don’t know how anybody wouldn’t notice.

Have you also noticed that NONE of the Canadian teams......who are all built differently........have won any cups in 28 years?

What's the "formula" for Ottawa? Montreal? Calgary? You internet experts seem to have one for Toronto.

Maybe, it's slightly more difficult up north of the border, to compete with state-tax-free zone Tampa? Or no-real-pressure LA/Washington/St. Louis? Or stacked-with one of the greatest players ever-Sidney Crosby in Pittsburgh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad